oztony

Something is really wrong with the thinking or lack thereof

BossHog

Sounds like an easy enough case to resolve upon appeal to someone just a wee bit higher up in the SS office. There's no legal grounding for them to do this.

If it is again refused ask them to put the reasons why in writing. You'll see results.

My mother-in law (75) gets those benefits. Think it's about 3k quarterly. The shameful thing is they make all these oldies sit in the hot gym all day, listen to speeches, etc to get their pittance.But I think she enjoys being around her fellow geriatrics. Everyone knows I'm her son-in-law and that I absolutely dote on her. She kinda gets preferential treatment because they know I don't take a lot of shit, especially when it comes to her.

• Like 5

savarity

I doubt that is a law.

Instead, someone in SS might be using that tactic to divert funds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

oztony
12 minutes ago, BossHog said:

Sounds like an easy enough case to resolve upon appeal to someone just a wee bit higher up in the SS office. There's no legal grounding for them to do this.

It's not the loss of the $3 per week that is of any concern whatsoever (LOL) ... it is purely the ignorant attitude that is deciding on it that sticks in my craw , how could you have anyone that applies this type of thinking in any position ..at all ..anywhere for that matter they would have to struggle opening and closing a gate without wanting to say it was someone elses responsibility ... pretty much impossible for a society to progress even slowly when you have morons like this making decisions , they should be cleaning council buildings , vehicles etc ... because decision making is just so obviously not their forte...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Davaoeno
1 hour ago, oztony said:

until just recently foreign nationals living in the Philippines were not even granted the courtesy/privilege of having a seniors card.

off topic admittedly but I have seen no proof that this is true ! What i mean is that it is my impression that foreigners still do not have such privilege! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Irenicus
1 hour ago, oztony said:

he receives a poultry 500 pesos a month as a small government pension

I'm sorry for this, Tony.  I really am, but I can't just let that sit there.....

500 pesos a month?????  Damn, that's chicken feed!!!

For the non-Americans:

chicken feed: A small amount of anything, especially of money. "I ain't gonna mow lawns for $5 an hour.  That's just chicken feed!"

Apologies again...  

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Jawny

Members of my family have had various entitlements denied to them for the reason that they have a foreigner relative. This has happened in a number of instances, but never related to the SSS entitlements. Those benefits are largely the result of contributions from the retiree over the lifetime of their work, or volunteer contributions. 

The denials for other benefits were always administered by the Barangay and lists were created for families in need.  The list would then be scrubbed, again by the Barangay official and some were removed as entitled.  In the cases I mentioned, the reasons were because the family didn’t have the same needs as it was assumed the foreigner helped out.  Since the payments were made based upon local input, the trust was misplaced in the Barangay  

This also happens with other benefits for the community with denials made because of voting for the wrong persons.

• Like 2

oztony
16 minutes ago, Irenicus said:

Damn, that's chicken feed!!!

:rofl:

Damn ... didn't realise how much that would ruffle your feathers ...

please read "paltry" ......... :hi: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

oztony
22 minutes ago, Maldita23 said:

Let me add to that. 

My family is a remember of a government program called 4Ps. Their aim is to subsidize the family cost of living by giving money to each family every quarter. The amount they give depends on how many children there are in the family and the income of the parents. My family receives more or less 3k per quarter.

My parents do not have stable income until three months ago and there are 9 mouths to feed. 

Basically, my family receives 9k from the government annually. My mom is a very active member of the organization. She does duty  like cleaning the school or the baragangay hall. Mom is also the President of "Women", another government organization training women  how to create livelihood, like baking and cooking. 

Our neighbor keeps complaining that my family should not be a member because their eldest daughter, me, is with a foreigner. 

When my father heard this, he confronted the neighbor and told them, I am not giving them any money which is true. I do not give them any money unless there is work I need them to do and I pay them labor. 

The way my fellow Filipinos see my partner before used to piss me off but not anymore. Sadly, anyone who is barely surviving could never think pass survival mode. Any human who is barely surviving could only think for themselves.  All they could think about is how can they survive even if this means stepping on others rights. They cannot see the bigger picture. It is not that they can not think or that they are damn, it is just that they could not think outside of the box for never been out of the box. 

That post did a far better job of explaining things than mine ...

I think it is the same situation as the father of my wife ... he has said that other people had complained to him and others in the past that he should receive nothing because his daughter is married to a foreigner ..he is a 67 year old widower with nothing , he has a roof over his head because we allow him to live at our house (we are in Australia) . He was summonsed to the town hall to be questioned about receiving this allowance , boy the attitude of other people really is scary isn't it , it appears they are just not happy unless everyone else is down as far as they themselves are ... what a sad way to view life , their ignorance is just infinite.....

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Jawny

Sometimes benefit programs have strict guidelines which can end up causing the beneficiary to be denied a benefit just because of some overlooked detail. A lot of USA older farming individuals will be land rich but cash poor as they discontinue farming. For various tax purposes they might end up giving or selling land to their children. This results in an unfortunate catch 22. 

The land, now not theirs, usually has a home where the family raised their children, now their landlord. This rent free living is a form of income called "income in kind" if I recall correctly. That bit of income may be just enough to eliminate their eligibility. 

Perhaps this is what is going on in the Philippines for these poor older citizens. 

Jack Rat
1 hour ago, oztony said:

That post did a far better job of explaining things than mine ...

I think it is the same situation as the father of my wife ... he has said that other people had complained to him and others in the past that he should receive nothing because his daughter is married to a foreigner ..he is a 67 year old widower with nothing , he has a roof over his head because we allow him to live at our house (we are in Australia) . He was summonsed to the town hall to be questioned about receiving this allowance , boy the attitude of other people really is scary isn't it , it appears they are just not happy unless everyone else is down as far as they themselves are ... what a sad way to view life , their ignorance is just infinite.....

The locals here call it "crab mentality". If three crabs were in a bucket and one managed to claw it's way to the top, the other two would pull it back. Many  filipinos just don't like seeing others using their initiative and getting ahead. The phrase, green-eyed monster, springs to mind.

• Like 4

oztony

This maybe a bit different than crab mentality , although I suppose similarities could be drawn , I personally would view this as worse ... because this is pure jealousy and nastiness caused through misconceived and extreme ignorant perception that people in another country should sponsor the needs of retirees in a different country and the detractors here do not want people to receive the same help and assistance that they themselves are availed to because they believe the foreigner abroad should pay... it is way beyond sad and insulting and takes ignorance and selfish attitude to a different level ... one that normal people simply do not operate on. 

• Like 4

Maldita23

Here is another example I could give in connection to this Filipino mentality.

My family lives in an area where water is scares during summer.  The barangay have been trying to fix the problem for years but still there's  not much improvement.

So my partner and I tried to solve the problem for my family as we saw the struggle of my siblings  without running water. We installed pump and water tank. When we are certain that their is flowing water in the main water line, that is when we turn on the pump for more or less 15 minutes to fill our 1000L water tank. 

Our neighbors/relatives complained, according to them we are causing the water scarcity. We explained to them that we do not run the pump all day long, we only use it for 15 minutes everyday. They  raised the concern to our Brgy.Captain, and he came, told his guys to remove our pump. But his guys do not want to remove it because we told them that if they touch it and it breaks they will have to pay for it. 

The next day we realized that the barangay's main water line that supplies water to our sitio passes through our land. So my father talked to the Barangay Captain, told him that we will remove the pump ourselves if he removes the main water line that passes through our land.

After that, we never heard any concern regarding our pump and water tank.  

I can never understand why many Filipinos cannot be happy seeing other Filipino's lives improve.

When another Filipino do better than them, they can never say, he's done well. Instead, they will bring up stuff defaming that person. 

If a Filipina marries a foriegner, for sure she is just with him for the money and so her life would be better. 

When Filipinos see a Foreigner-Filipina couple, and if they find the foreigner to be too good looking for the Filipina according to the Filipino long nose, white skin beauty standard, they would say, what have he seen in her? She must be good in bed. 

Do not get me wrong, Filipinos are not bad people. It's just that sometimes we couldn't pass through the importance of appearance mentality, what does other people think, who's done better, who has more more.

Sad but true. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1