Headshot

Surprise in my Yard

Headshot

The other day, my wife found a bird nest in one of our calamansi trees. We have a lot of trees around the edges of our lawn, which attracts a lot of birds. This morning, one of the two eggs in the nest hatched, so I went out to look at it. My wife is pretty good on the internet, and she identified it as a red vented bulbul. I have never actually seen the parents yet, but the eggs are fairly unique. So I snapped a picture of the chick and its unhatched sibling in the nest. It's kind of hard to see it in the picture, but the egg is cream-colored with reddish brown (almost crimson) speckles. I'm hoping that one of our bird experts can better identify it.

4923695_RedVentedBulbul.jpg.86a504b7def3346cb288586c92b5201a.jpg

It appears (from reading up on this bird) that it is not native to the Philippines, so I have no idea how they got here. They are mainly native to the Indian subcontinent, but pockets of their their range extend across Indochina, southern China and the Arabian Peninsula, so they are obviously capable of moving beyond their normal territory. They have also been introduced into islands of the central Pacific, and there are small populations in California and Florida.

• Like 5

BossHog
Posted (edited)

Yellow-vented Bulbul (Pycnonotus goiavier). One of the more common birds in the Philippines.

Do a search on this species and I'm sure you'll recognize the adults.

Edited by BossHog
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Headshot

Thanks. Like I said, I have never seen the parent birds. Yellow-vented bulbul, it is. I will definitely be keeping an eye out for the adults.

• Like 2

BossHog
Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Headshot said:

I will definitely be keeping an eye out for the adults.

First of all, kudos to your wife to narrowing it down so closely to a bulbul sp.

Although there have been fourteen species of bulbuls seen in the Philippines, the yellow-vented is by far and away the most likely; especially in an urban setting. The red-vented has never been documented on the archipelago to the best of my knowledge.

Here's one of my photos of a pair of the yellow-vented; if what you see looks different i'd be happy to help you narrow it down a bit more.

yvbbs.thumb.jpg.d5f6e5be84a1f2210d44c013da7c8b00.jpg

Edited by BossHog
  • Like 3

Jawny

I have seen these birds many times in my garden.  Until a few days ago, I only saw the adults as they foraged and made an occasional appearance.  

Then I saw a nest in a bamboo we have with two eggs, exactly as described.  The parents don’t seem to attend to the eggs during the day, but can’t be sure....too busy mowing the lawn or posting on LinC. 

However, at night, I approached the nest to see what I could and discovered the bul bul taking flight to a nearby tree.  

BossHog
Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, Headshot said:

I went out to look at it

40 minutes ago, Jawny said:

I approached the nest to see what I could

I'd be remiss without saying that approaching a nest like this will quite often lead to the parent birds abandoning the nest if they feel the nestlings have been targeted by a perceived predator. Better to observe or shoot ( with lenses!) from afar than to approach too closely. In some countries photographing nestlings at this range is actually illegal.

If you find it interesting, I'd recommend a knock-off pair of Bushnell 20x50 binoculars which can be had on Lazada for 1,200 pesos or so. Link That's what i give the Filipino kids in my young birders club.  A quality pair of 8x42's would be more suitable but the former will get you started and are locally available.

Better yet, invest in a DSLR kit to observe and document at the same time. But be careful, the hobby is very addictive!

Edited by BossHog
  • Like 5

wondersailor

Have a bird nest in one of my 2 potted lime trees. Don't know what type of bird as it is a covered nest with a small round entrance on the side. Have not seen any activity in over a month of watching. Think it was the rare Philippine empty nesters bird.

• Haha 1