Sign in to follow this  
Goetz1965

Questions about Cebuano Words ...

Goetz1965

Ok after 4+ years here I learnes some words and now I know a bit but also have questions ...

If we go to the mall and see that huge 75" TV its always MAHAL - meaning its expensive ...
Thats why I now understand why we guys always tell Mahal kita to the girls ...

We say gwapo to boys and gwapa to girls - that way pointing to a couple its easy to tell who you mean when you say gwapo or gwapa.
BUT why its only pangit to say ugly ? Pointing to a couple and saying pangit leaves you asking "who"
It would be so much easier to say pangit for the girl and pongit for the guy wouldn't it ?

Dafey
21 minutes ago, Goetz1965 said:

Pointing to a couple and saying pangit leaves you asking "who"

Last time I pointed to a couple and said, (aloud), pangit...I got my lobat beat!

• Haha 3

Davaoeno
30 minutes ago, Goetz1965 said:

Ok after 4+ years here I learnes some words and now I know a bit but also have questions ...

If we go to the mall and see that huge 75" TV its always MAHAL - meaning its expensive ...
Thats why I now understand why we guys always tell Mahal kita to the girls ...

We say gwapo to boys and gwapa to girls - that way pointing to a couple its easy to tell who you mean when you say gwapo or gwapa.
BUT why its only pangit to say ugly ? Pointing to a couple and saying pangit leaves you asking "who"
It would be so much easier to say pangit for the girl and pongit for the guy wouldn't it ?

Mahal has 2 meanings . It means "dear" as in my dear- it can also mean expensive. 

I always call my wife " my mahal mahal" lol

What I find interesting is that in the UK dear also means expensive . I think it's just a coincidence

• Like 2

Dafey
2 hours ago, Davaoeno said:

What I find interesting is that in the UK dear also means expensive . I think it's just a coincidence

In the US dear can mean 'precious'

• Haha 1

Davaoeno

Dear me- tell me it's not so ??

to_dave007
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Davaoeno said:

Mahal has 2 meanings . It means "dear" as in my dear- it can also mean expensive. 

I always call my wife " my mahal mahal" lol

Mmmm.. It's no coincidence..  I think when we refer to the fairer sex..   mahal and dear are often both correct...   

Edited by to_dave007
  • Like 2

cookie47

I always refer to my wife as Dear. (certainlyat home in a casual environment )

Cup of coffee,,, Dear

How's your flowers going,,,Dear.

And so on...

Now I'm not really sure how this has come about, apart it's true to say that it's certainly a British "Term of endearment".

But I've lived "more" of my life in Australia than the UK,, 47 years (in Australia) and I still say it.
My sister in the UK says it all the time and it's funny, if something comes advertised on the TV (for example) she will say "That's Dear" (meaning expensive) but we don't get confused.

Anyway my wife says "no worries" having spent 19 years in Australia,,I think that's great.. Haha

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

SkyMan
10 hours ago, Goetz1965 said:

why we guys always tell Mahal kita to the girls ...

Perish the thought. Mahal kita is Tagalog.  The Cebuano 3 little words are Gihigugma ko ikaw.

10 hours ago, Goetz1965 said:

We say gwapo to boys and gwapa to girls 

Most words you run across with a gender are from Spanish. Like Lolo and Lola are Spanish whereas the real Cebuano word would be Apuhan for grandparent.

• Like 1

Davaoeno
30 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

Perish the thought. Mahal kita is Tagalog.  The Cebuano 3 little words are Gihigugma ko ikaw.

Most words you run across with a gender are from Spanish. Like Lolo and Lola are Spanish whereas the real Cebuano word would be Apuhan for grandparent.

What you should be saying is mahal na mahal kita 

• Like 2