lamoe

Car starting power bank was a fake - sent back :(

lamoe
Posted (edited)

When I make a mistake  about an item will admit it - don't want others to make same - this one cost me 50P -

I mentioned in my original thread that 'capacity' was the primary complaint. Same here.

Have included an interesting vid at end on how to check capacity - I have one of these devices for use with my drone

or

I have a Kindle Fire with 4,400mAh 3.7 V battery - let it get down to 1% - hooked to power bank (still showing 5 bars after 5 multicab starts)

Immediately dropped to 4 bars - OK - starting took most of 1 bar - couple thousand mAh?

Later checked - Fire at 91% - power bank dead - started to recharge it - 1 hour later at 60% -  NFW

Have seen others in ACE, True Value, about 12,000 mAh (6/7K P) with  charger 15V / 17 V @ 2A = 30W / 34W = 2,000 mAh max = 6 / 8 hours to charge?

Did some investigating

Average weight of a 18650 (most commonly used generic battery ) is between 45 / 50g - no less than 42g

https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-know-a-fake-18650-battery/

Checked online 3,450mAh max capacity I've seen

So, even assuming 42g weight of batteries x 3450 mAh = would take  25 batteries = 1> Kg :shocked:

If power bank is above 12,000mAh and weighs only 0.5 Kg = fake

Edited by lamoe
  • Confused 1

shadow

If it would start a multicab 5 times and still have enough oomph to charge a device (or nearly), I would not care if it was "fake" or not. Seems it did what they advertised it to do.

• Like 1

lamoe
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, shadow said:

If it would start a multicab 5 times and still have enough oomph to charge a device (or nearly), I would not care if it was "fake" or not. Seems it did what they advertised it to do.

They advertised over 80 K mAh - was actually less than 4K?

My mulicab has a very small engine and really easy to start - I do maintain it

Bought this particular power bank because of the additional features

All Li-Ion batteries lose charge -  ability to retain a charge is in question if power is 1/20th advertised

No way to test that without going past warranty return period

Don't want to keep having to remember to top it off

Forgot to mention was going to get one for Bohol - not to start cars - for power outages

Edited by lamoe

cookie47

I've never "owned" one of those devices so i decide originally not to comment and appear a naysayer.
However the station i worked on thought it would be a good idea and bought one. (This is a while ago so things technically could have changed).

Taking into consideration most of the equipment was diesel with only one Toyota corolla 1600cc, it would not start anything. Now To be fair at one point i though it was faulty, (but had no real way of proving it) but it would charge a mobile phone fairly rapidly.

As said, if it starts your Multicab 5 times it cant be all bad news, but your technical findings and studies regarding weight of batteries are accepted and justified.

I'm guessing its a case of typical overstating the technical specifications by the supplier? But are you going/or need to use it to its full "claimed" capacity..

Would i buy one, no,,, untill I've seen more real world proof. I think that if the engine in question was an easy first time starter all would be fine, but anything that would need cranking (or a diesel with glow plugs) I would feel a bit uneasy..

I'll stick to my jumper leads. (Although another area where you can be ripped off in the 2 dollar shop). Some advertised @200 amp jumper leads I've seen are a joke...

Below is a chart of typical cranking amps required at a minimum of 7.2 volts.. Note.. This is a generic chart and does not consider actual engine capacity or compression ratio,,, the test being done over 30 seconds.

Summer Starting (Petrol): 150-200A

Summer Starting (Diesel): 450-550A

Winter Starting (Petrol): 250-350A

Winter Starting Diesel: 700-800A

I'm guessing your Multicab (assuming 660 cc) would draw "around" 100 amps?

Anyway just a general comment and observation and imparting some experience....

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

shadow
10 minutes ago, cookie47 said:

I've never "owned" one of those devices so i decide originally not to comment and appear a naysayer.
However the station i worked on thought it would be a good idea and bought one. (This is a while ago so things technically could have changed).

Taking into consideration most of the equipment was diesel with only one Toyota corolla 1600cc, it would not start anything. Now To be fair at one point i though it was faulty, (but had no real way of proving it) but it would charge a mobile phone fairly rapidly.

As said, if it starts your Multicab 5 times it cant be all bad news, but your technical findings and studies regarding weight of batteries are accepted and justified.

I'm guessing its a case of typical overstating the technical specifications by the supplier? But are you going/or need to use it to its full "claimed" capacity..

Would i buy one, no,,, untill I've seen more real world proof. I think that if the engine in question was an easy first time starter all would be fine, but anything that would need cranking (or a diesel with glow plugs) I would feel a bit uneasy..

I'll stick to my jumper leads. (Although another area where you can be ripped off in the 2 dollar shop). Some advertised @200 amp jumper leads I've seen are a joke...

Below is a chart of typical cranking amps required at a minimum of 7.2 volts.. Note.. This is a generic chart and does not consider actual engine capacity or compression ratio,,, the test being done over 30 seconds.

Summer Starting (Petrol): 150-200A

Summer Starting (Diesel): 450-550A

Winter Starting (Petrol): 250-350A

Winter Starting Diesel: 700-800A

I'm guessing your Multicab (assuming 660 cc) would draw "around" 100 amps?

Anyway just a general comment and observation and imparting some experience....

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. It would be handy to take on motorcycle trips, based on his report I think it might start my bike once or twice. 

• Like 2

lamoe

I admit I'm a gadget guy - sometimes will buy something just because 'that's cool' - don't mind paying just don't like getting ripped off.

Have a 14,400 mAh Anker dual 5 V , 9 / 12 V power bank, also some 5 V units from 3 to 9 K mAh - bought years ago when I started traveling to use in airports for tablet - weighs almost .5 Kg - should have realized tech hasn't increased that much.

• Like 2

cookie47

Once someone makes one that really works I'd be the first to purchase.

Having one sitting in the glove box would be ideal. Sure it will come in time. In the meantime...

Even with a cheap set of jumper leads you can just connect, go and have a cup of tea with the donor car idling (or a bit above) and it doesn't take long to charge enough to start.... In fact I've started cars (4wds) with two pieces of fencing wire. It takes two people, but hey...

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

• Like 1

lamoe
55 minutes ago, cookie47 said:

Once someone makes one that really works I'd be the first to purchase.

Having one sitting in the glove box would be ideal. Sure it will come in time. In the meantime...

Even with a cheap set of jumper leads you can just connect, go and have a cup of tea with the donor car idling (or a bit above) and it doesn't take long to charge enough to start.... In fact I've started cars (4wds) with two pieces of fencing wire. It takes two people, but hey...

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

There are quality units out there  - just not that many here and the ones in ACE etc are way overpriced..

typ $75 to $150 - Anker is a well regards brand

If they give a 1 year warranty (not 7 days) can usually be confident

• Like 1