Need recommendations on

Accommodations city - 2 / 3 K per night -  amenities consistent with price

Restaurants - both high end and budget - city accessible

Parks / attractions

Edited by lamoe

BossHog
36 minutes ago, lamoe said:

Parks / attractions

Philippine Eagle Center. https://www.philippineeaglefoundation.org/philippine-eagle-center

Easily the best thing to see/do in Davao. More than eight hectares of wildlife and flowers and there are explanatory shows. Only 150 peso admission.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

wondersailor

Eden Nature Park is also a nice place to visit. I would also recommend Jack's Ridge for dinner. Food is decent and, being on the top of a mountain, overlooks the city of Davao. My favorite place in the area. Scuba diving is very good and has the best rates in the Philippines that I have seen. Island hopping between Davao and the island of Samal is also a very pleasant activity.

• Like 1

liquido
Posted (edited)

Try looking at the Apo View Hotel..Centrally located ..Claud's Restaurant has been there over 20 years nice old French Chef that is usually there ..Bistro Rosario  restaurant is a nice quiet place also...As far as parks Crocodile Park is very close which has the obvious and a few snakes.

Edited by liquido
  • Like 1

RedRanger
20 hours ago, lamoe said:

2nd anniversary - wants to go to Davao - 5 to 7 days middle of June

Need recommendations on

Accommodations city - 2 / 3 K per night -  amenities consistent with price

Restaurants - both high end and budget - city accessible

Parks / attractions

Visit SM Lanang Mall, it pretty cool and has a lot of good places to eat.

I get bored in Davao after a few days, All listed above would be good to see, but man Davao City can be boring.  Can you split it up and spend some times in General Santos as well?

Traffic has gotten bad in Davao City, as well as all the beggars there, much worse than Manila, and now they have a lot more prostitutes in Davao City compared to a few years ago.

I have been going to Davao since 2007 and have made close to 20 trips there and spent a lot of time in Davao City, I think if you are base in Cebu/Manila area you will get bored in Davao rather quickly.

SomeRandomGuy

Used to live in Davao and all these recommendations are fantastic.   

If you are a bit of a history buff I would suggest going to do the tour of the old Japanese tunnels.

Paradise beach is just a small banka boat ride from Davao and is home to one of the largest bat colonies in the country.  Now it was not really nice smelling but it was cool to see the size of the colony, and it is a good little get away from Davao to break up your visit.

I have not been to the Crocodile farm for years but when I was there 8 years or 9 ish years ago it was fantastic, they had to beautiful tigers there too boot. 

SomeRandomGuy
11 minutes ago, RedRanger said:

Visit SM Lanang Mall, it pretty cool and has a lot of good places to eat.

I get bored in Davao after a few days, All listed above would be good to see, but man Davao City can be boring.  Can you split it up and spend some times in General Santos as well?

Traffic has gotten bad in Davao City, as well as all the beggars there, much worse than Manila, and now they have a lot more prostitutes in Davao City compared to a few years ago.

I have been going to Davao since 2007 and have made close to 20 trips there and spent a lot of time in Davao City, I think if you are base in Cebu/Manila area you will get bored in Davao rather quickly.

Yeah Davao can get very boring and whats worst is the fact that to get from one side of the city to the other feels like half a day travel 

liquido
50 minutes ago, RedRanger said:

Your talking 4 hours between the 2 cities..whats there to do in GenSan? visit Manny or tour the Tuna canneries? just sayin...Yes traffic is getting worse like any place else and beggars are out there but believe me its a HELL of alot worse in Cebu and Manila..Plus living here already for 5 years you get a better perspective than visiting now and then.. 

• Like 2

savarity

Gensan seemed very sleepy. I only went to the malls there. Heard there was a tuna festival, but would be curious to hear more about the place.

Davao was nice, but I guess Samal island would have more touristy things to do.

Ozepete

We have enjoyed stays at Royal Mandaya  and hated one stay we had at Crown Regency Residences.   

But wait awhile I'm sure Davaoeno will be here soon to offer some good local ideas or perhaps he has a spare room!  :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

RedRanger
3 hours ago, SomeRandomGuy said:

Used to live in Davao and all these recommendations are fantastic.   

If you are a bit of a history buff I would suggest going to do the tour of the old Japanese tunnels.

Paradise beach is just a small banka boat ride from Davao and is home to one of the largest bat colonies in the country.  Now it was not really nice smelling but it was cool to see the size of the colony, and it is a good little get away from Davao to break up your visit.

I have not been to the Crocodile farm for years but when I was there 8 years or 9 ish years ago it was fantastic, they had to beautiful tigers there too boot. 

The bat caves are pretty cool, and they have the waterfalls there, but I hear now some barangay captian jackarse is charging money to go to the road to get to it, and also a few years ago they started charging to enter the water fall Hiagmit falls or something like that. 

3 hours ago, SomeRandomGuy said:

Yeah Davao can get very boring and whats worst is the fact that to get from one side of the city to the other feels like half a day travel 

Yes, Traffic has really gotten stupid there the last few years, Sunday I can get around pretty good. other than that it a clusterpluck most of the times.

• Like 1

RedRanger
2 hours ago, savarity said:

Gensan seemed very sleepy. I only went to the malls there. Heard there was a tuna festival, but would be curious to hear more about the place.

Davao was nice, but I guess Samal island would have more touristy things to do.

I rode a motorbike from Davao to Gensan and really enjoyed the ride thru the mountains. I only spent the day there, but it was a place I wanted to explore more, it would be a great way to spend a couple days there to break up Davao trip.

Davao has a nightclub called VPlace that pretty good, except the bands are pretty loud and food is ok but priced right, and MTS (Matina Town Square) is ok to hang out at night.

The night market in Davao City at night is boring for me, they are selling street food and shoes/clothes/etc.   If you go there you will have kids torturing you for money, which really gets old quickly.

RedRanger
2 hours ago, liquido said:

Your talking 4 hours between the 2 cities..whats there to do in GenSan? visit Manny or tour the Tuna canneries? just sayin...Yes traffic is getting worse like any place else and beggars are out there but believe me its a HELL of alot worse in Cebu and Manila..Plus living here already for 5 years you get a better perspective than visiting now and then.. 

I haven't been to Cebu since 2012 time frame, once Paul moved to Cambodia I didn't have buddy to hang out with.  I go to Manila area, mainly Ermita close to US Embassy and Davao City about 2 times per year, and I get tortured by beggars in Davao City and Digos City much worse than Manila area.

I can go to Bohol or Coron or El Nido and not get bothered by beggars

liquido
18 minutes ago, RedRanger said:

I haven't been to Cebu since 2012 time frame, once Paul moved to Cambodia I didn't have buddy to hang out with.  I go to Manila area, mainly Ermita close to US Embassy and Davao City about 2 times per year, and I get tortured by beggars in Davao City and Digos City much worse than Manila area.

I can go to Bohol or Coron or El Nido and not get bothered by beggars

After awhile you get to know where the beggars hangout..especially on the nasty flyover cross walks over the road..always smelling like urine and who knows what kind of airborne diseases are up there so I try to avoid at all costs.. 

RedRanger
7 hours ago, liquido said:

After awhile you get to know where the beggars hangout..especially on the nasty flyover cross walks over the road..always smelling like urine and who knows what kind of airborne diseases are up there so I try to avoid at all costs.. 

True, they are pretty nasty area, I never thought about airborne diseases, they also have some blind people singing also wanting money on those flyovers.

But I will ride a motorbike around the area and when I go to eat they are begging there, go to a beach and someone will come up and beg there.  I see homeless people in Manila but they don't torture you like they do in Davao.

Davao has lost it small town charm for me, It used to be a little hidden treasure and easy to get around, seems like the last 3 to 5 years it has really lost that charm.   How many bombs explode in the area each year, seems like a few on a yearly basis.