SomeRandomGuy

Is Geckos shut down?

SomeRandomGuy
Posted (edited)

What up peeps.

Long time I have not posted as I have been a bit busy, plus as you all know I do not live in Cebu anymore but over in Bacolod for the last couple of years.

Hope you is all well and look like a change of ownership has happened??

Well quick question guys, Is Geckos shut down?

Also anyone do much fishing around these Islands?  I am looking for some peeps to get together and fish with every now and then to test out some new gear I been making.

Ha anyway  good to see some of the lads are still here and still kicking along.  Ill try to be a little less busy and add a bit of content every now and then.

Edited by Dafey
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

mikewright
Posted (edited)

G'day J

Good to see you back again.

Yep, El Gecko is closed. Billy still in  Cebu though. Quite a few years since you introduced me to that bar!

Change of ownership to the forum before Paul's death. Forum  seems a tad quieter now, particularly with DK gone. thebob, who ran DK, has also died. Miss that guy, a sea of rationality in an ocean of anti-science.

If you ever get some fishing trips going in Bacalod, let me know. Only visit here a couple of times a year, but good fishing would go to the top of the itinerary.

Edited by mikewright
  • Like 3

liquido
On 5/28/2019 at 8:11 PM, SomeRandomGuy said:

but over in Bacolod for the last couple of years.

Speaking of Bacolad..Did they open up an S&R there?

hyaku

There was notice on Facebook to say it was closed temporarily due to renovations.

On 5/28/2019 at 8:57 PM, mikewright said:

G'day J

Yep, El Gecko is closed. Billy still in  Cebu though. Quite a few years since you introduced me to that bar!

Change of ownership to the forum before Paul's death. Forum  seems a tad quieter now, particularly with DK gone. thebob, who ran DK, has also died. Miss that guy, a sea of rationality in an ocean of anti-science.

If you ever get some fishing trips going in Bacalod, let me know. Only visit here a couple of times a year, but good fishing would go to the top of the itinerary.

Bob's ashes were brought over last December from Japan and interred here. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ron100

i just seen from a friend that its open again now.

• Like 1

SomeRandomGuy
On 5/28/2019 at 8:57 PM, mikewright said:

G'day J

Oh no The Bob gone.  Damn he was awesome.

9 hours ago, liquido said:

Speaking of Bacolad..Did they open up an S&R there?

Nah I don't think it was ever going to have one here.  We heard that it was but apparently that was just one of those Filthy FB rumors.

Still stuck going to Iloilo if I need them. Luckily my neighbor goes often so I just give her a list and she brings me most of it back.

Top bloody neighbor 

• Like 2

SomeRandomGuy
2 hours ago, ron100 said:

i just seen from a friend that its open again now.

Good stuff.  

Mate I have not seen in awhile was coming over and he asked me how long had it been shut down for and I had know Idea as I just was there in December and had a few too many drinks with Billy and sung half the night. 

Good times good to see it is still there.

mikewright

13 hours ago, SomeRandomGuy said:

Good times good to see it is still there.

Always happy to check out a bar in the name of research. 😀

El Gecko reopened today. By 7.30 pm, there was one tourist (me), one other guy waiting for the new owner (apparently from the US) to show, four ladies looking destinctly under-employed, and a couple of the ladies' kids on the pool table.

Didn't sound like Billy would be back. ☹️

Live band scheduled for 9pm tonight.

Too depressing for me, moved down to Marshall's Irish Bar. Larry died last year but the bar is still buzzing (comparative speaking), live music (singer/guitarist, oldies music, think Sweet Caroline, Baby Please Don't Go, etc),  a dozen or more customers, my type of place. Good mixture of locals and expats.

The Chocolate Hills Porter a little expensive at 160 pesos a glass, but not a bad drop. And comparitively cheap compared to what you would pay in Sydney for similar drop.

• Like 2

fred42
Posted (edited)

Wasn't there an English guy managing El Ghekos?? Peter?  Is he still there?

Edited by fred42

SomeRandomGuy
8 hours ago, mikewright said:

Always happy to check out a bar in the name of research. 😀

El Gecko reopened today. By 7.30 pm, there was one tourist (me), one other guy waiting for the new owner (apparently from the US) to show, four ladies looking destinctly under-employed, and a couple of the ladies' kids on the pool table.

Didn't sound like Billy would be back. ☹️

Live band scheduled for 9pm tonight.

Too depressing for me, moved down to Marshall's Irish Bar. Larry died last year but the bar is still buzzing (comparative speaking), live music (singer/guitarist, oldies music, think Sweet Caroline, Baby Please Don't Go, etc),  a dozen or more customers, my type of place. Good mixture of locals and expats.

The Chocolate Hills Porter a little expensive at 160 pesos a glass, but not a bad drop. And comparitively cheap compared to what you would pay in Sydney for similar drop.

Oh wow billy sold it huh?

Probably a good thing.   Him yelling out "No Filipino Love Songs" at the end of every score from the bands was endless.

Oh well that is how cebu and Geckos is I guess.   It has been through a few hands now.

6 hours ago, fred42 said:

Wasn't there an English guy managing El Ghekos?? Peter?  Is he still there?

Pete is a good bloke and I was hoping to catch up with him last time I was in Cebu as I had heard that as well but I have never seen him there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Irenicus
13 hours ago, mikewright said:

Too depressing for me,

Yeah, the desperation from the ladies there to secure some supplemental income is a bit much...

• Like 2

SomeRandomGuy
8 minutes ago, Irenicus said:

Yeah, the desperation from the ladies there to secure some supplemental income is a bit much...

Ha which is why I would only ever drop in and say gday and take off again. 

I can not stand being hassled and I have zero idea why people would like that.  Had a good time last time I was there though but it was a kinda an impromptu bucks night but after about 1hr I was kinda over it and it is just not my scene. 

Now I am not saying I am a prude or anything just if I am going to be hassled by women at least be bloody hot.

hyaku
12 hours ago, Irenicus said:

If you are regular they leave you alone.

lokias

Rumor is billy is managing another bar now.

SomeRandomGuy
8 hours ago, lokias said:

Rumor is billy is managing another bar now.

That makes sense.