SkyMan

The rear tires on my lawn mower have had slow leaks for quite a while.  I think they're like 8 inch rims.  For a couple years now the right rear has had to be pumped even if I mowed 2 weeks before so I pump both the tires.  The fronts are smaller and need air maybe every 1.5 years.  I took the wheel off when this started and took it to a vulcanizer who said there was no leak.  So since then I've been doubling the pressure to 20 psi and sometimes I can get a second mow in without pumping.  Today I decided to end this and had plugs at the ready.  I took the wheel off and pumped it to 20 psi.  Then took it to a drum of water and washed it off, then submerged it and looked and looked.  I looked for any general bubbles, then closely at the valve, dust cap off. wiggled the valve, nothing.  I concentrated on the bead but nothing.  I was determined to find it but no luck.  It seriously took maybe 20 minutes minutes for the water to settle enough before I noticed the tiniest stream of micro bubbles seeping from a point about an inch from the bead on the inside of the tire.  Aha, there it is.  But wait, there's another, and another.  It seems there's a line of them around the tire about the same distance from the bead.  I can't plug that.  Some error in the manufacturing process perhaps?  Designed obsolescence?  Maybe the left tire has the same problem as I haven't checked it yet.  So now, how to repair it?  I'm thinking maybe have the vulcanizer pop that side out, And then slather some rugby on there and refill it.  I wonder if it would be better to also glue on some strips of inner tube?  I'd rather not go to a tube because I can plug a tubeless at home if need be and I'd have to remove the valve and replace if when I get a new tire.   

Woolf
SkyMan
38 minutes ago, Woolf said:

Yeah, I was looking for Slime a while back and found it very expensive.  This off brand stuff may be the same but cheaper.

Jester
Posted (edited)

I had an air bag leak,  could not find the leak.  Pump it up and it would sit for weeks and not lose air.  Drive a few miles and it would slowly lose air.  Would only leak when moving!   Had to replace the bag, sealants would not work.

Front tire on my mower keep going flat,  slimed it, put in inner tube,   finally threw in the towel and put solid tires on it.

Edited by Jester

Dafey
2 hours ago, Jester said:

I had an air bag leak,  could not find the leak.  Pump it up and it would sit for weeks and not lose air.  Drive a few miles and it would slowly lose air.

You inflate your airbags while driving? I guess you're ready for that collision....?

• Haha 1

HeyMike
24 minutes ago, Dafey said:

You inflate your airbags while driving? I guess you're ready for that collision....?

Lol... got me wondering also.

• Haha 1

cookie47

By your description the fault is very much consistent with age cracks.
Also tyres sitting flat for some time will suffer this same fate.
Not saying they have, only possible opinion.
Has the tyres production dates. If more than 7 years there out of date. (of coarse this relates to passenger vehicles but I know it's not)

A vehicle "of any description" will suffer this problem if left sitting in the sun. (which is not too hard in the Philippines)

Another cause, particularly cars is driving with low pressure.

Yes slime and the like products do work, but if was me I'd put a tube in it. I understand your sentiment that "next time" you would have to dismantle to fix a flat but that's me.

Only ideas, a picture will help.

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

bert

yes in aussie i tried that #hit  would not get you to available compressor  i really liked the plug  Tyre fitting  take out 1 plug and inflate tyre and go

SkyMan
1 hour ago, cookie47 said:

By your description the fault is very much consistent with age cracks.

But you can usually see age cracks.  In this case it's a single line around the tire about 3/4 inch from the rim and there's an indention there like the edge of some material inside the sidewall stopped at that point.  I have the slime stuff Woolf recommended on the way,  Worst case I have to keep pumping it before each mow until I replace the tire(s).

• Like 1

fred42

• Like 1

Jester

The caulk and foam fix is ok for a bit on a mower, but will not last for extended periods.  Not even worth trying on a car or motor cycle.

May be some specialty foams for tires available but I have never seen them. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arz7JB8t8K4

• Like 2

cookie47

Another issue which I failed to mention is "porocity", which is another age related fault caused by UV damage. Often not visible until until water tested. 

And whilst I'm on the subject of tyres. (if I may)... 

Be very careful of Tyre (tire) plugs. 

Whilst I've used heaps of them over the years "mainly" as a get you home device the strait "dog turd" types have been proved dangerous and subsequently have stricked fitting guidelines in Australia and Profesional Tyre fitter are reluctant to use them. This was once thought as a money making effort to sell a new Tyre "and possibly was in part). But consumer law stepped in when it was proved that Tyre plugs were the cause of fatal accidents. 

There is a much later design called the mushroom plug that can be fitted "externally" see YouTube...... 

Plugs can only legally be fitted to within 25mm "(one inch") of the tread face where it meets the wall and never in a side wall. 

And that's after the Tyre has been dismounted and inspected for further damage which is often not visible. 

This all might sound "over the top" but it is well documented that tire plugs are dangerous and would you put your family in a car @100kph (62 mph) with Tyre plugs.

Its also might surprise some people that putting a tube in a tubeless Tyre is bad practice as it will overheat,, as tubeless tyres have a rough inner coating, tubed tyres don't... 

I know this is somewhat unrelated to Skyman questions but tyres are an art form and need to be understood. 

• Like 2

SkyMan

Good info on plugs and I'm aware of the danger.  I have one in my Ranger right rear right now, between the treads. I don't get up near 60mph very often.  62kph is even infrequent.  I wouldn't use one on my bike or in a sidewall. 

• Like 1

fred42

The caulk and foam fix is ok for a bit on a mower, but will not last for extended periods. 

Agree about for mowers only.
Do you mean the foam will degrade?
I suppose the tire it`s self could have a re cap if the tread is gone.. Could last forever!!

• Like 1

Paddy
8 hours ago, cookie47 said:

(62 mph)

I’m lucky if I get over 60KPH here in Masbate!

• Like 1