Jump to content

Metric System or Not


Lordblacknail

Recommended Posts

cookie47
Wikipedia says only 16% of the Earth's roads are drive on the left.  So I propose the UK, Oz, and Japan switch to the right side and the US will officially adopt the metric system.
Well it was you "(and France) that changed it.. Why should we.. Haha,

One of many articles on the net pasted below....

-----------------------------------------------------------


In the past, almost everybody travelled on the left side of the road because that was the most sensible option for feudal, violent societies. Since most people are right-handed, swordsmen preferred to keep to the left in order to have their right arm nearer to an opponent and their scabbard further from him. Moreover, it reduced the chance of the scabbard (worn on the left) hitting other people.

Furthermore, a right-handed person finds it easier to mount a horse from the left side of the horse, and it would be very difficult to do otherwise if wearing a sword (which would be worn on the left). It is safer to mount and dismount towards the side of the road, rather than in the middle of traffic, so if one mounts on the left, then the horse should be ridden on the left side of the road.

In the late 1700s, however, teamsters in France and the United States began hauling farm products in big wagons pulled by several pairs of horses. These wagons had no driver’s seat; instead the driver sat on the left rear horse, so he could keep his right arm free to lash the team. Since he was sitting on the left, he naturally wanted everybody to pass on the left so he could look down and make sure he kept clear of the oncoming wagon’s wheels. Therefore he kept to the right side of the road.



Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • SkyMan

    28

  • cookie47

    17

  • oztony

    9

  • lamoe

    7

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh well, at least I can understand both and thus not living in the dark ages. Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

My wife's just arrived home and had purchased some shade clothe, (Shes in to flowers big time including orchids). I looked at the package. 3ft x 4 meters. I guess the seller is having an each way be

Posted Images

fred42

I told them I wanted 10pcs of 2X3 X 3 meters long.
They said they only do board feet? WTF?

Link to post
Share on other sites
shadow
43 minutes ago, fred42 said:

I told them I wanted 10pcs of 2X3 X 3 meters long.
They said they only do board feet? WTF?

LOL. Tell them you want 10 pieces 2X3X118.11. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
SkyMan
5 hours ago, fred42 said:

I told them I wanted 10pcs of 2X3 X 3 meters long.
They said they only do board feet? WTF?

That would be one hell of a big tree.  Certainly no coco could produce that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
oztony
2 hours ago, SkyMan said:

That would be one hell of a big tree.  Certainly no coco could produce that.

I think Fred was inferring .. 2"x3"x 3 metres long.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
SkyMan
1 hour ago, oztony said:

I think Fred was inferring .. 2"x3"x 3 metres long.  

So then mixing measuring systems and wondering why they can't understand?  Just ask for dos, tres, djes, napulo ka buok.  Of course, that is mixing languages numbering systems but that's the way they like it.

(Cocos generally come a few inches longer than the requested feet anyway and 10 feet would be a couple inches over 3 meters so you'd have to cut a little off.)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
Soupeod
On 6/9/2019 at 6:56 AM, cookie47 said:

Well it was you "(and France) that changed it.. Why should we.. Haha,

One of many articles on the net pasted below....

-----------------------------------------------------------


In the past, almost everybody travelled on the left side of the road because that was the most sensible option for feudal, violent societies. Since most people are right-handed, swordsmen preferred to keep to the left in order to have their right arm nearer to an opponent and their scabbard further from him. Moreover, it reduced the chance of the scabbard (worn on the left) hitting other people.

Furthermore, a right-handed person finds it easier to mount a horse from the left side of the horse, and it would be very difficult to do otherwise if wearing a sword (which would be worn on the left). It is safer to mount and dismount towards the side of the road, rather than in the middle of traffic, so if one mounts on the left, then the horse should be ridden on the left side of the road.

In the late 1700s, however, teamsters in France and the United States began hauling farm products in big wagons pulled by several pairs of horses. These wagons had no driver’s seat; instead the driver sat on the left rear horse, so he could keep his right arm free to lash the team. Since he was sitting on the left, he naturally wanted everybody to pass on the left so he could look down and make sure he kept clear of the oncoming wagon’s wheels. Therefore he kept to the right side of the road.



Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk
 

The UK had to go to the metric system, look at what they had before! :lol:

IMG_3071.JPG

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
cookie47
The UK had to go to the metric system, look at what they had before! 
spacer.png
Oh well, at least I can understand both and thus not living in the dark ages.

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
cookie47

My wife's just arrived home and had purchased some shade clothe, (Shes in to flowers big time including orchids).

I looked at the package. 3ft x 4 meters.

I guess the seller is having an each way bet, haha....

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..