Lordblacknail

Metric System or Not

Dafey
31 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

A ft-lb is the amount of gravitational force exerted by a pound hanging 1 foot horizontally from a point of rotation

Okay...I'm a little dumb about this but...how do you hang a pound horizontally?

SkyMan
2 minutes ago, Dafey said:

Okay...I'm a little dumb about this but...how do you hang a pound horizontally?

image.png.333038a2b12be0b7c9bc0fcf49d9c632.png

• Like 2

Dafey

Ahhhh...foot pounds! Now I get it!

• Haha 1

JamesMusslewhite
On 5/21/2019 at 11:12 AM, Lordblacknail said:

no, much easier for the stupid USA to go with the metric system. We are one of only three countries in the world that do not use the metric system. Our leaders found that it was better to appease the industry leaders short term than to fix something that should have been fixed in the 1800's or earlier. The longer it takes us to bite the bullet and change it, the harder it is going to be. 

We use the IS because Americans are actually smart enough to know the difference between a 5/8 and a 1/4 socket.... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ozepete
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, JamesMusslewhite said:

We use the IS because Americans are actually smart enough to know the difference between a 5/8 and a 1/4 socket.... 

And smart enough to waste billions every year defending and using a far inferior method of weights and measures? Sorry but regards this issue, smart I think not!

Edited by Ozepete
spelling

JamesMusslewhite
3 hours ago, Ozepete said:

And smart enough to waste billions every year defending and using a far inferior method of weights and measures? Sorry but regards this issue, smart I think not!

Really, is worked well enough to create incredible breakthroughs in engineering, technologies and the sciences sufficient enough to reach moons and planets and become a leading super-power.  Waste billions?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

JamesMusslewhite
BossHog
On 5/21/2019 at 8:02 PM, shadow said:

I would suggest anyone planning to live here learn to accept not everyone thinks the way they were taught to think.

When my kid was born in Butuan sixteen years ago we get a birth certificate saying she was 4 kilograms and two ounces.

I mean that's hilarious in a way. One system for kilos and another for the ounces. Didn't bother me in the least and we find it funny to this day. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

Woolf

‘Clear advantages’

Carol Hockert, head of the weights and measures division at the US National Institute of Standards and Technology in Gaithersburg, Maryland, sees his point. “There are clear advantages to using metric units in terms of global commerce and international research collaborations. And space exploration certainly falls into a category that could benefit,” she told New Scientist.

At issue is NASA’s Constellation Program, which is intended to replace the space shuttle. It will use new Ares rockets and a crew capsule called Orion to launch astronauts to the International Space Station (ISS) or the moon.

Civilian operators hope to one day pay to use Orion capsules to reach their orbiting structures, or have craft of their own dock with the capsules. So the last thing they want is a measurement units mix-up between their own and NASA’s equipment.

US law

NASA recently calculated that converting the relevant drawings, software and documentation to the “International System” of units (SI) would cost a total of $370 million – almost half the cost of a 2009 shuttle launch, which costs a total of $759 million. “We found the cost of converting to SI would exceed what we can afford,” says Hautaluoma.

“Given these budget constraints and the need for consistent units throughout the Constellation Program lifecycle to minimise risks, and to contribute to mission success, we’re revising the previous management directive to a primarily English-units-based program,” he says.

That previous directive stems from 2004 when, under continuing pressure from its independent inspector general, NASA agreed to conform with US legislation enacted in 1988 that ordered all government departments to move towards the exclusive use of SI units.

‘Problematic mistakes’

In June 2006, when NASA’s progress on that looked sluggish, NASA spokesman David Steitz offered New Scientist this update:NASA is in the process of converting to SI units. However, immediate conversion of systems that are already designed in English units can prove risky and inefficient. The US space program … will need time to evolve into SI units.”

Gold sees the latest announcement as significant backtracking: “The space program is supposed to be about bridging barriers and bringing humanity closer together. Failing to adopt a globally accepted uniform system of measurement seems to fly in the face of that.”

“Operating in space while using two different systems of measurement certainly opens the door for problematic mistakes and miscommunications,” he adds.

The above quotes from JamesMusslewhites link above

SkyMan
5 hours ago, Ozepete said:

And smart enough to waste billions every year defending and using a far inferior method of weights and measures?

Where are these wasted billions you keep mentioning?  What are they wasted on?  As for inferior method, both are just as accurate.  

• Like 2

JamesMusslewhite

• Haha 1

cookie47

Gee, I got a notification that someone had posted.

I thought I was in the metric and imperial debate.

Oh well.....

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ozepete
11 hours ago, SkyMan said:

Where are these wasted billions you keep mentioning?  What are they wasted on?  As for inferior method, both are just as accurate.  

I thought it would be obvious!  Additional time spent on weights and measure calculations due to using fragmented factors, increases the cost of every one of the millions of such activities every hour.  Try asking an architect or product engineer. Even in the US now many find it preferable to covert base values to metric before computation. 

And if you look at this site, it will shock you... https://nonpartisaneducation.org/Review/Essays/v3n3.htm

• Like 1

cookie47
I thought it would be obvious!  Additional time spent on weights and measure calculations due to using fragmented factors, increases the cost of every one of the millions of such activities every hour.  Try asking an architect or product engineer. Even in the US now many find it preferable to covert base values to metric before computation. 
And if you look at this site, it will shock you... https://nonpartisaneducation.org/Review/Essays/v3n3.htm
As it noted in the article, the Department set up by the Federal government in Australia to oversee the transition from imperial to metric was actually closed early as the uptake was much quicker and smoother than expected.

Another article referring to Australia pointed out that the uptake of metric was easier than expected due to the large amount of European migrants that were already metricated.

It's not that hard....

However you can still buy a quarter pounder in McDonald's. Yaaay

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

• Like 3