Metric System or Not

Lordblacknail

Paddy

Well, a 17 hand horse might just win by a nose...what does it care about the metric equivalents?

• Like 2
  • Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SkyMan

• cookie47

• oztony

• lamoe

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh well, at least I can understand both and thus not living in the dark ages. Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

My wife's just arrived home and had purchased some shade clothe, (Shes in to flowers big time including orchids). I looked at the package. 3ft x 4 meters. I guess the seller is having an each way be

Posted Images

SkyMan

Thankfully they haven't tried to metricize time.  Imagine an 8 hour work day in a day with only 10 hours.  And those 2 day weekends in a 10 day week?  Criminies.  Sure, 2 weeks vacation would be better but would it be worth it?

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 1
cookie47
Fixed it for ya!
Yes thanks,

Good point,, but you've now confused the Imperial folks..

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

• Haha 2
HeyMike
41 minutes ago, Paddy said:

PS. English horse racing still uses the furlong...

But they run in the wrong direction.

• Haha 2
cookie47

I know things are slow to change in the Philippines. But hey,, 1973. It's a very long ARTICLE  and  went on to say that the original idea to go metric was rejected prior to 1973. Note the last paragraph... And that the US didn't ADOPT..

And as I said I can actually work in both metric and Imperial and even at home when my wife and i are working on some sort of project I will say "The shelve needs to be 300mm," I get the look,, How big is that in inches. 

Haha.... 

MALACAÑANG
M a n i l a

PRESIDENTIAL DECREE No. 187 May 10, 1973

PRESCRIBING THE USE OF THE METRIC SYSTEM OF WEIGHTS AND MEASURES AS THE STANDARD MEASUREMENT FOR ALL PRODUCTS, COMMODITIES, MATERIALS, UTILITIES AND SERVICES AND IN ALL BUSINESS AND LEGAL TRANSACTIONS

WHEREAS, the concurrent usage of different standards of weights and measures in the Philippines abets confusion, waste of time in computations and diversity;

WHEREAS, although the Revised Administrative Code specifies the metric system as the national standard, the use of other weights and measures is allowed by law in certain cases, compounded by customary weights and measures;

WHEREAS, the metric system, which employs decimals, is officially adopted by many countries and even the United Kingdom and the United States are planning to gradually adopt it in lieu of the English system;

WHEREAS, the exclusive use of the metric system will facilitate domestic and foreign trade, avoid unnecessary waste and diversity in manufacturing goods, promote uniformity and simplification of measurements and consistency in calculations, and afford other advantages;

lamoe
51 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

That I cannot fathom.

I'll ask Samuel about that

Edited by lamoe
  • Administrator
Dafey

I've already started the conversion...

image.png.f8c23400e2ae915ebb57cfb208b67b1e.png

• Like 4
  • Haha 3
Paddy
31 minutes ago, HeyMike said:

But they run in the wrong direction.

So what is the metric equivalent of anti-clockwise? Where’s the fancy quantum ratio for that?!

• Like 1
cookie47
1 hour ago, SkyMan said:

Thankfully they haven't tried to metricize time.  

It already is. 

What about milliseconds 

• Like 2
HeyMike
26 minutes ago, Paddy said:

So what is the metric equivalent of anti-clockwise? Where’s the fancy quantum ratio for that?!

It may be pie are squared.

oztony

image.thumb.png.9578b4be56e4233f73f1329f7305a67b.png

Please do not alter , in anyway the post of another member other than to make a portion of the quoted post bolder in lettering , .... one little thing turns into another and another etc etc..

1 post hidden , it was harmless and not offensive , but we have the above rule in place for good reason... cheers.

• Thanks 2
Headshot

The metric system was invented by the French. Do we need any other reason to not adopt it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
Woolf

1.  A container that has inside measure of  25 inches x 1½ feet x  6'2" how much water can it contain and what is the weight of the water

2.  same container  63.5 cm x  457.2 mm x  1.8796 m  how much water can it contain and what is the weight  of the water

witch one of the above is easier                                              to calculate ?

• Like 2
  • Administrator
Dafey
20 minutes ago, Woolf said:

1.  A container that has inside measure of  25 inches x 1½ feet x  6'2" how much water can it contain and what is the weight of the water

2.  same container  63.5 cm x  457.2 mm x  1.8796 m  how much water can it contain and what is the weight  of the water

witch one of the above is easier                                              to calculate ?

Trick question...it's a coffin! doesn't hold water!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
SkyMan

1. 1202 pounds at sea level 

2. 1202 pounds at sea level 

Metric is obviously easier because I already calculated it using standard measurements and you said it was the same container. 

Edited by SkyMan