Metric System or Not

Lordblacknail

SkyMan
10 hours ago, shadow said:

Some can adapt to new countries and cultures, and some cannot. Some can accept new ideas and ways of doing things, and some cannot.

No problem with change if there's a good enough reason but change for the sake of change isn't a good reason. 

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SkyMan

• cookie47

• oztony

• lamoe

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh well, at least I can understand both and thus not living in the dark ages. Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

My wife's just arrived home and had purchased some shade clothe, (Shes in to flowers big time including orchids). I looked at the package. 3ft x 4 meters. I guess the seller is having an each way be

Posted Images

lamoe
3 hours ago, HTM said:

I think sins the freezing point of water is 0 °C and the boiling point of water is 100 C. is easier then  32 °F  and 212 F, but thats me...

3 hours ago, HTM said:

Dont USA use kWH? And the US dollar is fully metric to I think. 

17 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

No problem with change if there's a good enough reason but change for the sake of change isn't a good reason. 

Having worked extensively with both systems - in my opinion - the Metric one is much better

The temp gradient differential would not be a problem - 83 F would eventually relate to  28 or 28.5 C in most peoples minds

• Like 1
SkyMan
42 minutes ago, lamoe said:

Having worked extensively with both systems - in my opinion - the Metric one is much better

Neither is better.  They both do the same thing. You might argue that metric is easier but easier doesn't necessarily mean better.  Metric is easier for people that can't  handle fractions. And to say that the US is the only country not on the metric system is a bit of a stretch too.  Officially maybe.  But if I tell my workers the hole needs to be 20 centimeters deeper I'll get deer in the headlights looks.  8 inches, no problem.  

Back in elementary school when they were pushing the metric system, one of the great sales points was being able to keep the numbers small.  You didn't need to talk about 200 ml, you could just say 2dl.  But nobody does that.  And construction plans are in mm, WTFO?  Milimeters are flat out useless in construction.  Anything more than maybe 5mm has to be converted to something else to be useful.

4 hours ago, HTM said:

And the US dollar is fully metric to I think. 

We still have Quarters.  Hahahaha

Edited by SkyMan
  • Administrator
Dafey

But what really messes with my mind is MPH KPH and knots!

• Haha 1
SkyMan
5 minutes ago, Dafey said:

But what really messes with my mind is MPH KPH and knots!

If you go more than 10 knots you'll never get your shoes off.

• Haha 2
lamoe
12 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

Neither is better.  They both do the same thing. You might argue that metric is easier but easier doesn't necessarily mean better.  Metric is easier for people that can't  handle fractions. And to say that the US is the only country not on the metric system is a bit of a stretch too.  Officially maybe.  But if I tell my workers the hole needs to be 20 centimeters deeper I'll get deer in the headlights looks.  8 inches, no problem.  

Back in elementary school when they were pushing the metric system, one of the great sales points was being able to keep the numbers small.  You didn't need to talk about 200 ml, you could just say 2dl.  But nobody does that.  And construction plans are in mm, WTFO?  Milimeters are flat out useless in construction.  Anything more than maybe 5mm has to be converted to something else to be useful.

We still have Quarters.  Hahahaha

Good points - the only problem encountered when switching systems is familiarity

When the US wants to sell globally it uses Metric for the most part - depending on product 

I have metric and US sockets - most in other countries have inch sets?

What are soda / milk bottles measured in and why?

https://www.marketplace.org/2017/10/10/business/why-does-soda-come-liters-and-milk-gallons/

Metric is easier (better) for scale of reference for measurements whatever base is used.

1 Km is 1,000 meters, 10,000 mm, 100,000 cm

1 Mile is -  1,760 yards - 5,280 feet - 63,360 inches

1.8375 Km is how many M? 1 7/8  mile?

Manufacturing drawings use decimals (base 10) for clarity 0.2500" not 1/4"

And construction plans are in mm, WTFO?  Milimeters are flat out useless in construction.

Only because that has been the convention in the US.  

How big is a 2" x4" - we don't say a 1.5" x 3.5"  - but if you don't know that could be a problem.

Ran into that remodeling a very old house - repairing only a section of a wall 

Problems are very easy to encounter with US present system  that don't exist in Metric

image.thumb.png.0602e8d4c67fe53697c0c6f5495121f3.png

• Like 1
Paddy

All I know is - it’s usually hot here - and I’ll make sure I’ve got that quantum ratio in my back pocket  next time I buy usad ka kilo na patates at the local butcher and veggie store!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
lamoe
4 minutes ago, Paddy said:

All I know is - it’s usually hot here - and I’ll make sure I’ve got that quantum ratio in my back pocket  next time I buy usad ka kilo na patates at the local butcher and veggie store!

1 L of water = 1 Kg weight

1 quart of water = 1.04 Lbs

Both depend on temp

Paddy

Two and a quarter pounds of jam weigh about a kilogram.

My water mostly comes out of a tap (faucet for you imperial measure guys). But I do know a 5 gallon can of water is bl$$dy heavy!

Personally I think there was a lot to be said for the rods, chains, pecks and bushels era

• Like 1
SkyMan
40 minutes ago, lamoe said:

1 Km is 1,000 meters, 10,000 mm, 100,000 cm

Maybe it's easier (not better) for others.

1.8375 Km is how many M? 1 7/8  mile?

No, buut who would care about that anyway?

Manufacturing drawings use decimals (base 10) for clarity 0.2500" not 1/4"

Now you've gone and used a fraction and all the metric people are scrambling for their calculators.

Only because that has been the convention in the US. 

No, US plans use proper feet/inches.

How big is a 2" x4" - we don't say a 1.5" x 3.5"  - but if you don't know that could be a problem.

Ran into that remodeling a very old house - repairing only a section of a wall 

Problems are very easy to encounter with US present system  that don't exist in Metric

The fact a 2X4 isn't 2X4 isn't because of standard or metric.  If you want to buy coco lumber, you use standard measurements.  If you ask for dos, quatro, otso, Lima ka buok, you'll get 5 8ft 2X4s.  The fact that they might be 8.5ft long and  anywhere from 1.5 to 2.5 X 3 to 5 is another story.  In fact, lumber is one place metric countries still use standard measurements.  A sheet of plywood is given in 2440X1220 or more correctly 4X8ft.  If it was truly metric it be 1.5X3M or 1X2M but they still use 4X8ft.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Paddy

PS. English horse racing still uses the furlong...

• Thanks 1
SkyMan
8 minutes ago, lamoe said:

1 Kg weight

Kg is mass and does not depend on temp or gravity.

1 minute ago, Paddy said:

That I cannot fathom. I should join the league.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Paddy

And any of the 600 could tell you that half a league is a pretty nasty place to be!

SkyMan
11 minutes ago, Paddy said:

They have never successfully taught the metric system to a horse.  When they try they just get naays.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1