Lordblacknail

Metric System or Not

Lordblacknail

no, much easier for the stupid USA to go with the metric system. We are one of only three countries in the world that do not use the metric system. Our leaders found that it was better to appease the industry leaders short term than to fix something that should have been fixed in the 1800's or earlier. The longer it takes us to bite the bullet and change it, the harder it is going to be. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

lamoe
3 hours ago, Lordblacknail said:

no, much easier for the stupid USA to go with the metric system. We are one of only three countries in the world that do not use the metric system. Our leaders found that it was better to appease the industry leaders short term than to fix something that should have been fixed in the 1800's or earlier. The longer it takes us to bite the bullet and change it, the harder it is going to be. 

Metric for outdoor temps sucks

1 deg C = 1.8 Deg F after equalizer factored in

http://edition.cnn.com/TECH/space/9909/30/mars.metric.02/

(CNN) -- NASA lost a $125 million Mars orbiter because a Lockheed Martin engineering team used English units of measurement while the agency's team used the more conventional metric system for a key spacecraft operation, according to a review finding released Thursday. :killself:

SkyMan
5 hours ago, Lordblacknail said:

The longer it takes us to bite the bullet and change it, the harder it is going to be. 

How so?  The metric system blows.

• Like 2

cookie47

Due to circumstances I can do both, 

Brought up in UK everything was Imperial. 

However in the mid sixties we were seeing a lot more European cars so we "had" to go  and purchase a metric spanner set. Then Ford (UK) (Ford Cortina) decided to adopt the American AF spanner sizing (SAE) Society of American Engineers). So we ended up with 3 sets of spanners in our toolboxes (Whitworth) old English cars,,( Metric,, European Cars,) SAE, Eventually adopted by most British Manufacturers. 

Australia adopted the Metric system over a number of years (late 60s to mid 70s) depending on if if it was road signs for speed, or weight. It was common  to measure up a DIY job in metric and go to the hardware store and the (older sales person to say "what's that in inches" 

It must be like learning another language as my brain works in both,although I do still prefer Imperial when measuring cylinder bores and crankshafts.. 

shadow
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, cookie47 said:

Due to circumstances I can do both, 

Brought up in UK everything was Imperial. 

However in the mid sixties we were seeing a lot more European cars so we "had" to go  and purchase a metric spanner set. Then Ford (UK) (Ford Cortina) decided to adopt the American AF spanner sizing (SAE) Society of American Engineers). So we ended up with 3 sets of spanners in our toolboxes (Whitworth) old English cars,,( Metric,, European Cars,) SAE, Eventually adopted by most British Manufacturers. 

Australia adopted the Metric system over a number of years (late 60s to mid 70s) depending on if if it was road signs for speed, or weight. It was common  to measure up a DIY job in metric and go to the hardware store and the (older sales person to say "what's that in inches" 

It must be like learning another language as my brain works in both,although I do still prefer Imperial when measuring cylinder bores and crankshafts.. 

My history is kind of the opposite, but similar. I worked on mostly American cars for a living for about 5 years, then 5 years mostly Toyota, then Volkswagen Porsche Audi, and Chrysler, and Subaru. So a wide variety in my experience there. As far as small sizes it is easy to reconfigure instantly in my head, and prefer the metric system for simplicity, but if I am building something bigger I think mostly in inches and feet, until it gets bigger again, KM to miles is once again easy peasy.

Temperature too is easy for me to convert instantly in my head, but once again, the metric system is the obvious easy choice. 0 deg is freezing, 100 is boiling. Who ever dreamed up freezing at 32, and boiling it 212? What liquid were they smoking?  I'd love to have some.

Edited by shadow
  • Like 2

SkyMan
5 minutes ago, shadow said:

the metric system is the obvious easy choice. 0 deg is freezing, 100 is boiling

I suppose that's great if you're into freezing and boiling water.  As far as everyday outside temps, Celsius falls.  There's only maybe 20-25 degrees from I don't like it to I don't like it,  leaving too small a range for, I like it.  Temp is also the one most Americans are least likely to switch to as well because it just doesn't match up with anything.  Liters are about a quart, meters are about a yard, but temp is just a conversion and with no reL point other than to change for the sake of change.

savarity

Eventually, the rest of the world will have to come around to the US way of thinking

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

shadow
2 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

I suppose that's great if you're into freezing and boiling water.  As far as everyday outside temps, Celsius falls.  There's only maybe 20-25 degrees from I don't like it to I don't like it,  leaving too small a range for, I like it.  Temp is also the one most Americans are least likely to switch to as well because it just doesn't match up with anything.  Liters are about a quart, meters are about a yard, but temp is just a conversion and with no reL point other than to change for the sake of change.

Well, some can change, and some cannot. Some can adapt to new countries and cultures, and some cannot. Some can accept new ideas and ways of doing things, and some cannot. I would suggest anyone planning to live here learn to accept not everyone thinks the way they were taught to think. There are other ways, some may be better, some not. But he who is so narrow minded he cannot accept new or different ways of thinking or doing things, will have a harder time in life (especially here) than his brother from another Mother, who is open minded to other practices and ideas.

Ford or Chevy? Or are you open minded enough that can you drive both?

• Like 3

cookie47
34 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

Temp is also the one most Americans are least likely to switch to as well because it just doesn't match up with anything.

0 Degrees is freezing 

100 Degrees in Boiling 

All divided by 1 degree increments. 

What's doesn't it match up with.. 

Fahrenheit has odd ball start and finish points. But I understand that if you are comfortable with it that's OK. But the broader scientific community surly can't be wrong. 

Many scientific instruments/machines have Zero as the start threshold. Not 32..

There's bucket loads of info on Wikipedia on how we got to this point,,, Quite interesting in the 1700s

• Like 4

SkyMan
2 minutes ago, cookie47 said:

What's doesn't it match up with.

It doesn't match up with anything farenheit the way some metric measures do.  The vast majority of Americans don't really care about when the water states change and those that do are in labs using C or more likely K anyway.  

cookie47
1 hour ago, shadow said:

If it's got a stinking great V8 with 400+ horsepower you can park it outside my place anytime, I wouldn't care what badge it had on the front :thumbsup:

• Like 1

HeyMike
1 hour ago, shadow said:

Mopar.

• Like 3

HTM
15 hours ago, Lordblacknail said:

USA use the metric system fo impotent thing like mg in medicine. its 500 mg Paracetamol in US, not  0.00110231 Pond or 0.017637 Ounce!  hehehe

• Like 1

HTM
11 hours ago, lamoe said:

Metric for outdoor temps sucks 

I think sins the freezing point of water is 0 °C and the boiling point of water is 100 C. is easier then  32 °F  and 212 F, but thats me...

• Like 1

HTM

Dont USA use kWH? And the US dollar is fully metric to I think.