Sign in to follow this  
Jester

Overweight trick or no?

Jester

aaa.PNG

• Like 2

JonnyBravo

Idk might be as useful as packing helium balloons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Paddy

If you get caught doing it - and the bag is really overweight - you can probably bet that the check in person will take pleasure in assessing excess baggage charges 😄

Can you hold your foot still enough for the scale to display a settled reading?

• Like 1

SkyMan
32 minutes ago, Paddy said:

If you get caught doing it - and the bag is really overweight - you can probably bet that the check in person will take pleasure in assessing excess baggage charges 😄

Can you hold your foot still enough for the scale to display a settled reading?

I got away with it in Manila many years ago though my toe was under the scale, not the bag.  Since then I've flown in and out of Cebu, Way problema.

• Like 1

cookie47

The "Porters" at Bacolod Airport used to do this 30 years ago. Quite a common practice then. Their toe would be under the scale plate. In those days just arrive, give all your bags to a porter, He would place your bags on the scale and "fix" any overweight issues "🤔. I'm only talking about a few kilos,,(or was it pounds).. but Hey.. It got you on the plane. 

BAC 1,11s in those days.. 

• Like 1

Dafey
On 5/26/2019 at 7:28 AM, cookie47 said:

BAC 1,11s in those days.. 

Bac 111 was a tank with Rolls Royce engines! Probably could have hauled a dead body without any issues!

• Like 2

Headshot

Many airports have the scales built in to a conveyor belt, where it would be impossible to use this trickery, and more and more airports are switching to scales built in to conveyor belts, so I see this as something that will shortly be unworkable ... even if you are the type who would try.

• Like 2

cookie47
Many airports have the scales built in to a conveyor belt, where it would be impossible to use this trickery, and more and more airports are switching to scales built in to conveyor belts, so I see this as something that will shortly be unworkable ... even if you are the type who would try.
Absolutely,

Most of our misdemeanors were quite genuinely accidentle as trying to find bathroom scales or the like in old Escalante in Negros was quite difficult. Although a walk to the local market was on offer.

Our foray with Air Asia last year showed that with self checkin the belt will not move if weight is not correct.

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

• Like 2

papimafioso69

That's funny because my wife's bag was 19 kilo  in the states and she checked in at Air Asia  and her bag weight said 24 kilo and they charged her for 1000 peso's for an overweight bag . She argued her case but they just told her to pay or it doesn't get checked in . Of course there was a long line and told her to make up her mind . 

Jester

My wife wants to get it to exactly 50 lbs at home.   I told her no way must be at least 5 lbs under.   They tried to pull  the over weight on me and I quickly started opening my bag and asked if they had a garbage can.  Clerk told me never mind, they would let me slide that one time.    I was positive I was not over weight!

• Like 1

Paddy

I have had a small spring balance  for weighing suitcases at home for many years. As a result I have had the opportunity to check it against a number of airline check in scales. Experience showed that I should keep the bag to 20-21kg indicated on the spring balance if I wanted to be sure of being at or under the 23kg allowance for the bag. 

11 hours ago, Jester said:

I told her no way must be at least 5 lbs under.  

A good idea. Unless you have calibrated your scales with the exact scale which will be used at check in. (Also assumes that the particular airline is serious about excess baggage charges. The level of seriousness seems to vary). 

• Like 1

SkyMan

Maybe with the new Quantum phenomenon definition of the Kg, airport scales will be more accurate. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

cookie47

My niece bought us a digital scale for Christmas.

Just big enough to fit into the palm of my hand with a hook for the suitcase.. The problem is 30 kilos is getting to be the limits of what I can lift,,, haha.

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Jester

Had what appeared to be a good luggage scale bought for the purpose of the P's trip.   Damn thing broke when trying to weight for this trip,  cheap China junk!

Had to do the bathroom scale with and without the bag thing.

• Like 1

RedRanger

I just put my wife on plane to Philippines, She had two bags.  We used the weight scales at American Airlines inside the airport where you can check your weight, after removing  some items and doing it again we got her weight right at 50 lbs on each check in luggage, it was a digital scale.

Walked 30 feet to check the bags and they were 1.5lbs heavier, they put them thru at no charge.

• Like 2