SkyMan

Still waiting on car plates?

SkyMan

You might message the dealer anyway.  Share the fun.

Headshot

How do countries in the West manage to give plates immediately upon registration? Oh yeah ... they have license plates in stock in their issuing offices, and you receive the next available set of plates when you (or a dealer's representative) go in to register. There are no pre-assigned numbers waiting for plates. The only way you have to wait for plates is if you order vanity plates rather than accepting some random license plate. The Philippines, on the other hand, tries to assign license plate numbers numbers when the car is registered for that plates that don't exist, and then go back and have the plates manufactured, resulting in months or years of delay between registration and license plates. It isn't a manufacturing problem. It is a process problem. There is simply too much complication in their process, and too many ways the process can fall apart. LTO needs to wake up and realize that there are better ways to do things than the way they do things now.

And, of course, we must remember how this entire license plate crisis was precipitated by Philippine Customs holding up a shipment of foreign manufactured license plates bound for LTO because the were manufactured overseas. Great. One federal agency trying to tax another federal agency. That debacle was never resolved (because Aquino didn't want to interfere with departmental squabbles). Only in the Philippines.

• Like 1

SkyMan

I'm not sure when the numbers are actually assigned because there was no number on my rego because if there were I could have had a temp plate made up with the plate# rather than the conduction permit number.  Funny how they're able to produce conduction permits but not plates. Part of their problem here is the adherence to the notion that once assigned a plate number here that is written in stone and can't be changed which is silly but probably beyond the capability of their DB admins to handle. You can get vanity plates here but they're expensive and you have to do it through the dealership before the new car is ever registered.  And if you sell the car the plates go with it. They're missing out on some income that way.

Headshot
Posted (edited)

I was just relaying the information given me by my dealer. They said the license number is assigned (but not necessarily revealed) at the time of registration, but that the actual plates with that number may or may not be in existence at that time.

Nevertheless, There is absolutely no excuse for a government agency, such as LTO, to EVER be "out of stock" on something as vital as license plates. The Philippines prides itself in being a country with rule of law, but, in fact, the processes used by the country make that impossible.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1

Dafey
59 minutes ago, Headshot said:

There is absolutely no excuse for a government agency, such as LTO, to EVER be "out of stock"

In the US licence plates are made by prisoners in penitentiaries. The prisoners here are much too busy dancing to take time out to work!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1