Sign in to follow this  
cookie47

Senior Citizens Discount for Foreigner

M.C.A.

I get my Senior Citizens discount early at the age of 57 and no card isn't that amazing and no paperwork plus no butt kissing the Barangay / Mayors hind end either...  I ditched the In-laws the most ungrateful and undeserving bunch of scammers, heck I ended up giving myself a pay raise to boot.

MickyG
2 hours ago, RogerDuMond said:

First let me preface my comments here by saying that I have never asked for a senior discount in the 8 years that I have lived here, and have argued in past topics against foreigners asking for a senior discount. That being said, there are some businesses here that factor in the senior discount even if you don't ask for it. As an example a hospital where your age and ID are required for service.

Maybe you are forgetting that those foreigners who live here and have businesses contribute to the taxes that are collected through their businesses. I am not saying that as a justification for asking for the discount just as a counter to your point of view that expats put a burden on Philippine society.

The response was about those coming to retire or visit here as opposed to those who work.  

Those who do pay full taxes such as pagibig, SSs and philhealth plus income taxes should be treated differently, I wonder how many on this Bb fall into this category?

Those who are freely offered a discount because a retailer  volunteers to do so are also welcome to take up the offer.

Just the expectation and entitlement by some is beyond acceptable.

• Like 1

RogerDuMond
18 minutes ago, MickyG said:

The response was about those coming to retire

I am retired here from the U.S.

26 minutes ago, MickyG said:

Those who do pay full taxes such as pagibig, SSs and philhealth plus income taxes should be treated differently,

I also run a business for which I pay tax to the BIR. I do not pay into Pagibig or SS because I am not part of their programs. I do pay 17,000 pesos per year for a watered down Philhealth program that doesn't cover certain things like cancer treatment or cardiac procedures.

27 minutes ago, MickyG said:

I wonder how many on this Bb fall into this category?

I think you might be surprised how many of us permanent residents actually have some kind of business here that puts money into the economy and into the tax coffers. 

• Like 1

Headshot
32 minutes ago, MickyG said:

Those who are freely offered a discount because a retailer  volunteers to do so are also welcome to take up the offer.

Just the expectation and entitlement by some is beyond acceptable.

Most of us agree with that entirely.

• Like 1

Headshot
3 minutes ago, RogerDuMond said:

I think you might be surprised how many of us permanent residents actually have some kind of business here that puts money into the economy and into the tax coffers. 

Actually, even those of us who aren't working put a hell of a lot of money into the economy and taxes. A lot of Filipinos have no idea how much resident foreigners put into the economy every year. Of course, I am referring to typical western foreigners. A lot of Chinese and Koreans come here on tourist visas, work illegally, and actually take money out of the Philippines, rather than putting money in.

• Like 1

MickyG
23 minutes ago, RogerDuMond said:

I am retired here from the U.S.

I also run a business for which I pay tax to the BIR. I do not pay into Pagibig or SS because I am not part of their programs. I do pay 17,000 pesos per year for a watered down Philhealth program that doesn't cover certain things like cancer treatment or cardiac procedures.

Yes but you did not come to retire here you come to work, as opposed to those who do retire and expect senior discounts, just because they believe they are entitled. The seniors tend to reflect a lifetime of contribution of tax paid v be they direct of indirect taxes, many still being paid.

As for  choosing to pay for a inflated phil health cover that does not cover what you need would that not be better served with another arrangement that meets your requirement?. If this was a compulsory payment for reduced benefit I would see the concern you have. But this is another topic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

RogerDuMond
3 hours ago, MickyG said:

Yes but you did not come to retire here you come to work,

Actually, I did come here to retire and started to raise goats and rabbits to supply meat for my family. Over time it has developed into a family business.

• Like 1