Sign in to follow this  
cookie47

Senior Citizens Discount for Foreigner

MickyG
33 minutes ago, M.C.A. said:

Confusing subject unless  you're a lawyer or?  This link says Republic Act No. 7432 was approved:  This Bill which is a consolidation of Senate Bill Nos. 835, 1435 and House Bill No. 35335, was finally passed by the Senate and the House of Representatives on February 7, 1992.   https://www.comelec.gov.ph/?r=References/RelatedLaws/ElectionLaws/PWDandSeniors/RA7432

MCA

You need to read the statute  again it refers to CITIZEN not Resident. Foreigners are not Citizens they are residents, even if permanent.

Jawny
Headshot

It really isn't too difficult.

SECTION 2. Definition of Terms. - As used in this Act, the term "senior citizen" shall mean any resident citizen of the Philippines at least sixty (60) years old

It isn't enough to be a senior resident of the Philippines to qualify for the Senior Citizen privileges under RA 7432. You must be a senior resident CITIZEN of the Philippines. Expats living here simply do NOT qualify (unless you have been granted Philippine citizenship).

There was a bill that sought to strike the word citizen from he law, but it never passed.

Edited by Headshot

MickyG

''Expats living here simply do NOT qualify (unless you have been granted Philippine citizenship).''

If you have been granted Philippine Citizenship, you cannot therefore be an expat

Woolf

Geeee    looks like this thread is starting all over again

Will you please read all the post in this thread before you post new

I think all  is/was already covered in the now 7 pages

Edited by Woolf
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Headshot
4 minutes ago, MickyG said:

''Expats living here simply do NOT qualify (unless you have been granted Philippine citizenship).''

If you have been granted Philippine Citizenship, you cannot therefore be an expat

Technically true (by the Philippine government), but since the Philippines recognizes dual citizenship, you could still be considered an expat by your home country. After all, it is the country that you left that defines you as an ex-patriot (expat) who is somebody living outside the country's borders. For those who are US citizens, they have to apply (and pay a bunch of money) to actually renounce their US citizenship.

Dafey
1 hour ago, Woolf said:

Will you please read all the post in this thread before you post new

I think all  is/was already covered in the now 7 pages

Since this often comes up and goes on for 7 or more pages, let's just let it run! kinda fun to see who is actually reading the posts ;)

• Like 1

smokey
20 hours ago, RedRanger said:

I don't see Malls closing right and left near me.  They seem to be thriving, the one in my town is adding a hotel onto the Mall

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/real-estate/2018/05/10/construction-starts-frisco-hyatt-hotel-stonebriar-centre-mall

People here go to mall for free ac seinors free movies.   The malls here are the playgrounds of the us

• Like 1

RedRanger
1 minute ago, smokey said:

People here go to mall for free ac seinors free movies.   The malls here are the playgrounds of the us

Yep, and many different style of restaurants as well.  

smokey

Tech the 20%discount was for the broke seinors who did not eat at viking so why would a poor country give discounts to rich foreigners 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

MickyG

There should not be  discounts for foreigners. This country should not be seeking to attract economic refugees who need such discounts we have enough of our own problems to fund

• Thanks 1

RedRanger
2 hours ago, MickyG said:

There should not be  discounts for foreigners. This country should not be seeking to attract economic refugees who need such discounts we have enough of our own problems to fund

People who are age 60 and looking for a place to retire usually have money, they look at places that offer good deals to them: Like cheap and good medical, senior discounts, etc.  

This type of mentality is just another reason the Philippines is the way it is

• Like 2

MickyG
13 hours ago, RedRanger said:

People who are age 60 and looking for a place to retire usually have money, they look at places that offer good deals to them: Like cheap and good medical, senior discounts, etc.  

This type of mentality is just another reason the Philippines is the way it is

If these wealthy people see our our citizens discount as cathartic then perhaps retiring elsewhere is more beneficial Those who come here and do not take this benefit are very warmly welcome as we know they are not paupers. I think this country will progress without an adverse impact.

As overseas retirees will have factored this in they will already have chosen somewhere else and will not be posting here to complain about it. Those who knew the rules and still decided to come here have little to support   ''This type of mentality is just another reason the Philippines is the way it is'' after all it is their money their choice in a place that sets the rules.  The reality is by not giving that discount the tax share on a purchase goes up so the state benefits, one way of a mentality trying to find another reason to improve the way it is. 

I would say to anyone going anywhere in the world if a seniors discount is so important then be very careful where you choose to go and understand that such discounts are never set in stone.

RogerDuMond
19 minutes ago, MickyG said:

If these wealthy people see our our citizens discount as cathartic then perhaps retiring elsewhere is more beneficial

First let me preface my comments here by saying that I have never asked for a senior discount in the 8 years that I have lived here, and have argued in past topics against foreigners asking for a senior discount. That being said, there are some businesses here that factor in the senior discount even if you don't ask for it. As an example a hospital where your age and ID are required for service.

25 minutes ago, MickyG said:

The reality is by not giving that discount the tax share on a purchase goes up so the state benefits

Maybe you are forgetting that those foreigners who live here and have businesses contribute to the taxes that are collected through their businesses. I am not saying that as a justification for asking for the discount just as a counter to your point of view that expats put a burden on Philippine society.

Dafey
1 hour ago, MickyG said:

I would say to anyone going anywhere in the world if a seniors discount is so important then be very careful where you choose to go and understand that such discounts are never set in stone.

Don't sweat it Micky, Members here like to argue about anything! This is a hot topic in debates because it is easily interpreted several different ways.

And who doesn't like a discount? Personally, I think anyone over 60 should get these discounts wherever they live for cheating the Grim Reaper of another year! I mean seriously...how long are we giving seniors a discount?

• Haha 1