cookie47

Senior Citizens Discount for Foreigner

RedRanger
11 minutes ago, David_LivinginTalisay said:

That may be the 'Letter of the Law', but a Foreigner with an ACR I-Card, can get :-

1) FREE Parking in most Malls.

2) Discount on MyBus (except @ SM City Cebu).

3) Any Over 60's,  tried 'Discount in Cinema's'?

I have never seen a mall that charged for parking.  What gives there?

David_LivinginTalisay

Ayala Mall, charges for Car Parking, and SM City also, I think you will find?  
(They only charge, if over 3 hours - if you show ACR I-Card for Senior Discount).

My Question is, if these Malls honor Senior Discount, why did Vikings stop offering Discount?

Woolf
15 minutes ago, David_LivinginTalisay said:

Ayala Mall, charges for Car Parking, and SM City also, I think you will find?  
(They only charge, if over 3 hours - if you show ACR I-Card for Senior Discount).

My Question is, if these Malls honor Senior Discount, why did Vikings stop offering Discount?

free parking for seniors is in cebu city,  it is a city ordinance    max 3 hours  show ACR-I card or drivers license ( drivers license best as all know that )

do not expect free parking mandaue  talisay-city  lapu-lapu etc

Vikings do not have honor discounts for none philippine citizens, discount for senior citizens law, does NOT include foreigners 

E-Mall & J-Mall  charge for parking

hyaku

The use of the word discount is a Filipino play on words. It's VAT exemption.

Woolf
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, hyaku said:

It is discount and VAT exempt  for philippine senior citizens 

Edited by Woolf
  • Like 3

SkyMan
2 hours ago, RedRanger said:

I have never seen a mall that charged for parking.  What gives there?

Yeah, it's a strange concept.  You want me to pay for the privilege of shopping at your stores?  WTFO?  But really it's the mall that charges for the parking, not the stores.  In the US the cost of the mall, including the parking, is spread among the stores in the mall and the rents the stores pay covers it.  That rent is paid for by the purchases made so if you buy something you are paying for parking there too.  You just don't see a separate charge for it.  Here you pay if you buy something or not.  And therefore you also pay for the people who collect the fees etc.

Headshot
Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

Yeah, it's a strange concept.  You want me to pay for the privilege of shopping at your stores?  WTFO?  But really it's the mall that charges for the parking, not the stores.  In the US the cost of the mall, including the parking, is spread among the stores in the mall and the rents the stores pay covers it.  That rent is paid for by the purchases made so if you buy something you are paying for parking there too.  You just don't see a separate charge for it.  Here you pay if you buy something or not.  And therefore you also pay for the people who collect the fees etc.

Maybe that is one reason why malls in the US are closing left, right and center while new malls are springing up all over in the Philippines. Malls in the US are almost empty of customers while the malls in the Philippines are packed. Philippine malls are profitable and US malls are losing money. The owners of the Philippine malls found a revenue stream that doesn't hurt the stores doing business within the mall, and yet is small enough that people will pay it (for the privilege on staying inside an air conditioned area to shop and eat). BTW, SM City Cebu just raised their fee for parking in the parking garage to 30 pesos.

Edited by Headshot

RedRanger
49 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

We have valet at my mall in Frisco Texas

RedRanger
7 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Maybe that is one reason why malls in the US are closing left, right and center while new malls are springing up all over in the Philippines. Malls in the US are almost empty of customers while the malls in the Philippines are packed. Philippine malls are profitable and US malls are losing money. The owners of the Philippine malls found a revenue stream that doesn't hurt the stores doing business within the mall, and yet is small enough that people will pay it (for the privilege on staying inside an air conditioned area to shop and eat). BTW, SM City Cebu just raised their fee for parking in the parking garage to 30 pesos.

I don't see Malls closing right and left near me.  They seem to be thriving, the one in my town is adding a hotel onto the Mall

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/real-estate/2018/05/10/construction-starts-frisco-hyatt-hotel-stonebriar-centre-mall

SkyMan
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Headshot said:

I don't think a p30 parking fee is drawing people to the malls here nor would I think the lack of a parking fee is turning people away from malls in the US. ?  For those malls in the US that are closing I would imagine Walmart, Amazon. and other online shopping would ne the most to blame there.  Online shopping is available here but has not yet reached the convenience and reliability levels found in the US.

My biggest beef with paying for parking here is when I'm on my bike and have to pay for the privilege of parking in some cramped little bike corral roped off in the farthest reaches of the parking lot with a lot of p5K bikes (junk) owned by people that don't care how many bikes they hit getting in or out. And don't leave room for other bikes.  Especially when I know my bike costs more than many of the cars in the lot.  SM Lacion doesn't yet charge for parking and they do have a separate area for big bikes but it's still in the far reaches of the lot.

Edited by SkyMan

Headshot
2 hours ago, SkyMan said:

I don't think a p30 parking fee is drawing people to the malls here nor would I think the lack of a parking fee is turning people away from malls in the US. ?

I don't believe that either. However, the parking fees also don't seem to create any deterrent for people going to he mall either, and the parking fee does create an extra revenue stream for the mall. You only see paid parking at malls here that have near capacity crowds. If there is any chance that parking fees might discourage filling the mall, they don't institute it.

RogerDuMond
13 hours ago, hyaku said:

VAT is only 12%, senior discount is 20%.

• Like 1

M.C.A.
Posted (edited)
On 5/28/2019 at 5:58 AM, M.C.A. said:

I did find the government link here but it reads the same  https://www.insurance.gov.ph/republic-act-no-9994-otherwise-known-as-the-expanded-senior-citizens-act-of-2010/

And here's where it gets confusing because it's labeled Republic Act No. 9994 so not a complete revision of Republic Act No. 7432 only an addition to it because under Act it also makes it clear it's an (Act 9994) Act granting additional benefits and privileges to Senior Citizens further amending Republic Act No. 7432, as amended, otherwise known as 'An act to maximize the contribution of Senior Citizens to nation building, grant benefits, and special privileges and for other purposes"  I took this off the link.

So... If I read this correctly you still can't make more than 60,000 pesos in order to qualify for a Senior Citizens card and if you scroll down much further it lists the fines if there's fraud and if you get caught as a foreigner using one of these cards you get deported.

Update my posting with the original Bill which states:

SECTION 2. Definition of Terms. – As used in this Act, the term “senior citizen” shall mean any resident of the Philippines at least sixty (60) years old, including those who have retired from both government offices and private enterprises, and has an income of not more than Sixty thousand pesos (P60,000.00) per annum subject to review by the National Economic and Development Authority (NEDA) every three (3) years.

Copy of Republic Act No. 7432   https://www.dilg.gov.ph/PDF_File/issuances/republic_acts/RA_7432.PDF

And like I mentioned earlier some of my neighbors couldn't get that Senior Citizens Discount card and so I did some research because I was trying to get my wife a card, she doesn't work but married to me and this isn't addressed in the bill so I won't do this and if I'm not mistaken these business get reimbursed by the Philippine government so I won't touch this Senior Discount Card issue and for sure I wouldn't give out my Permanent Resident card for a discount Lol... not a good plan and don't forget when you renew that card check for that block on Derogatory comments.

Edited by M.C.A.

Headshot
24 minutes ago, M.C.A. said:

Update my posting with the original Bill which states:

SECTION 2. Definition of Terms. – As used in this Act, the term “senior citizen” shall mean any resident of the Philippines at least sixty (60) years old, including those who have retired from both government offices and private enterprises, and has an income of not more than Sixty thousand pesos (P60,000.00) per annum subject to review by the National Economic and Development Authority (NEDA) every three (3) years.

Copy of Republic Act No. 7432   https://www.dilg.gov.ph/PDF_File/issuances/republic_acts/RA_7432.PDF

Unfortunately, the bill never became a law, so referring to it is pointless.

• Like 1

M.C.A.
4 hours ago, Headshot said:

Unfortunately, the bill never became a law, so referring to it is pointless.

Confusing subject unless  you're a lawyer or?  This link says Republic Act No. 7432 was approved:  This Bill which is a consolidation of Senate Bill Nos. 835, 1435 and House Bill No. 35335, was finally passed by the Senate and the House of Representatives on February 7, 1992.   https://www.comelec.gov.ph/?r=References/RelatedLaws/ElectionLaws/PWDandSeniors/RA7432