cookie47

Senior Citizens Discount for Foreigner

M.C.A.

33 minutes ago, Goetz1965 said:

Why you all dont see the easiest wy to avail the discount without any problems?

Just have lola or lolo with you all the time when shooping and use them ....

Adding to transportation and then more people to feed sort of beats that discount heck just ditching the in-laws is the largest savings to heck with that discount card.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

SkyMan
1 hour ago, Dafey said:

Can I 'avail' on the line as a PWD even though I'm not a 'citizen'? I can limp a lot and look disabled if necessary!

Buy one of those collapsible crutches.  It's worth it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

cookie47

There is one aspect of the Seniors saga that I really don't like.

Referring back to the LTO application and having returned to the "meet and greet" person" he said OK, great take a seat at the front. The place was not full but "busy". And I saw a free set of seats and sat down with my wife.
No sooner I had done this I was tapped on the shoulder and the same chap said,, no, no, Go to front. There are a few (5 or so) pwd chairs right in front of the counter.
Weelll I was so embarrassed as I got served immediately and felt truly awful. And I don't have a disability and will quite happily wait my turn in all environments. I know that traditionally the Philippines looks after their elderly,,, but I wondered if I got the "bloody foreigner look"...

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

• Like 2

fred42
Posted (edited)
On 5/24/2019 at 8:42 PM, M.C.A. said:

My wife turned 60 Philippine citizen so I thought let's get her that Senior Citizens card and boy did we waste our time they wouldn't give her a card because she's married to a foreigner.

What basis in law did they refuse her a card because she is married to a foreigner?
Sometimes here the claimant needs to print out a copy of the law and stand up for their legal rights!

Edited by fred42
  • Like 7

SkyMan
58 minutes ago, cookie47 said:

There is one aspect of the Seniors saga that I really don't like.

Referring back to the LTO application and having returned to the "meet and greet" person" he said OK, great take a seat at the front. The place was not full but "busy". And I saw a free set of seats and sat down with my wife.
No sooner I had done this I was tapped on the shoulder and the same chap said,, no, no, Go to front. There are a few (5 or so) pwd chairs right in front of the counter.
Weelll I was so embarrassed as I got served immediately and felt truly awful. And I don't have a disability and will quite happily wait my turn in all environments. I know that traditionally the Philippines looks after their elderly,,, but I wondered if I got the "bloody foreigner look"...

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

Actually, I sat in those seats, not because I'm a senior, though I get asked a lot, but because those seats were empty except for one actual senior and those seats were the only ones with any cushion.  Had a few more seniors or PWDs shown up I would have had no problem returning to the hard arsed plastic seats.

• Like 1

Alk

After getting more and more frustrated waiting in lines, I finally started taking advantage of being over 60.  I either show my ACR card or Drivers license at movie theatres, restaurants, government offices, supermarket checkout lines...etc....  The 25+ times I've now done so, they've always accepted it without comment.  Some of the discounts are surprisingly big. 

Case-in-point.  I was at the Cebu Registrars office a few months back.  I got a number there which was something like 97.  They were currently serving #8.  My wife said I should try going to front of the line since i'm a senior.  The waiting room was sweltering and standing room only.   i simply took out my ACR card, went to the front of the line and politely showed it to person helping people.  I was helped and was on my way in 5-10 minutes as opposed to an hour or two.  

• Like 2

throttleplate

i am not yet 60 but i was at sm last week buying groceries and all the basket lines were full along with cart lines and i seen the PWD senior line empty and the checkout girl talking to the bagger and all i had were 2 pieces so i walked up to the girl and asked her if she could check out my 2 pieces and she said no i have to be senior so i said i am and i pulled out a copy of my passport.

They stood there and coudnt figure out the math from my date of birth to now so while they were figuring it out she checked me out and when i left they were still trying to get it all the while i was telling all that were staring at me that to look young you need to eat right and exercise and be happy.

• Like 4

PeteHK

Flew to Hong Kong yesterday morning from MCIA. Did the check-in after waiting ages for my wife to get her exemption certificate at the travel tax counter by which time my patience was getting a bit strained. Got to Immigration to find a pretty long queue snaking back and forth as they do. Told my wife I would check where the line for seniors is so I asked the lady checking the terminal tax receipts before they let you queue in the line. Ok, no problem, she directs us into the line where the cashier is, we walk forward and we both get called to a desk immediately. All done in a minute or two. 

• Like 1

M.C.A.
6 hours ago, fred42 said:

What basis in law did they refuse her a card because she is married to a foreigner?
Sometimes here the claimant needs to print out a copy of the law and stand up for their legal rights!

Good question I wasn't there and didn't get a good answer other than she wasn't going to get a Senior Citizen Card.  I did talk with an elderly Philippine citizen I've known in for several years and he now lives on SSS or 3000 pesos and has a heart condition and he raises cows he has about 6 of them and he also told me he wasn't eligible for the Senior Card but he had no reason as to why... so I'll try to ask him again why he couldn't get a card he's nearly 70 years old and takes medication, a couple of times he came by not feeling well, he has children that work abroad and son that works at the Airport.

We got hit hard during a typhoon lost our roof and also went through a flood that lasted nearly 5 months and it damaged our electrical (wires in the roof) and water system (tank and electric pump destroyed) the government came around and had us fill out paperwork each time and said they don't discriminant because I was a permanent resident and so we received SQUAT from them and really I wasn't expecting anything and sure enough I was right while our In-law has her daughter living in Canada she received 10,000 pesos and pretty much most of the neighborhood we also don't get food/clothing passed during these major disasters the Barangay Officials are the ones who regulate and run this, it's up to them they are a tight-knit group that's my nice word for them.  

Well, I'll research or dig a little deeper on my wife's rights she's a Philippine citizen she's not a dual citizen and see what the requirements are, she has never worked in the Philippines, but if I'm not mistaken most laws here are written so to give the government official leeway on their ruling so vaguely written laws.  

Headshot

My MIL has (and uses) a senior citizen card, and I am obviously a foreigner. Everybody in their neighborhood knows there is a foreigner in the family. What is the difference? I think the case of the barangay captain denying the wife a senior citizen card because her husband is a foreigner is just a case of a minor politician or official trying to exert more power than he really has. I'm fairly sure that he could be made to back down from his position if the wife wants to push it. His stance has no basis in law, and that could be pointed out to him just by giving a copy of the law to him (or reading it to him). I have found that this kind of politician only takes advantage of those people who allow themselves to be bullied.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Woolf
Posted (edited)

There was a restriction of income in the first act  7432

60,000 pr year

Later changes do not have that restriction

https://www.dilg.gov.ph/PDF_File/issuances/republic_acts/RA_7432.PDF

SECTION 2. Definition of Terms. – As used in this Act, the term “senior citizen” shall mean any resident of the Philippines at least sixty (60) years old,

including those who have retired from both government offices and private enterprises,

and has an income of not more than Sixty thousand pesos (P60,000.00) per annum

subject to review by the National Economic and Development Authority (NEDA) every three (3) years.

Edited by Woolf
  • Thanks 1

SkyMan
Just now, Woolf said:

There was a restriction of income in the first act   of 60,000 pr year

The politicians figured out they excluded themselves.  Hahahahaha

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

M.C.A.
8 hours ago, Headshot said:

My MIL has (and uses) a senior citizen card, and I am obviously a foreigner. Everybody in their neighborhood knows there is a foreigner in the family. What is the difference? I think the case of the barangay captain denying the wife a senior citizen card because her husband is a foreigner is just a case of a minor politician or official trying to exert more power than he really has. I'm fairly sure that he could be made to back down from his position if the wife wants to push it. His stance has no basis in law, and that could be pointed out to him just by giving a copy of the law to him (or reading it to him). I have found that this kind of politician only takes advantage of those people who allow themselves to be bullied.

Best post yet on this situation good take Headshot!  I didn't want to go there...  and mentioning the Mayor it was his wife that also denied us access after the two major disasters and I only know this because as she was leaving with relief goods (her job I guess) one of my In-law daughters quoted her as saying that I'm a wealthy American and don't need any assistance, when I looked at her she was smiling she thought was pretty cute, good news is that he can't run again he ran two full terms, thinking back this same newly elected mayor gave a speech at a school event my son was in 1st grade 2013 at the time and he informed the audience that the women should focus on giving their babies the mothers milk and stop buying those formulas or powdered milk because it was some sort of trick or conspiracy by big American business to get them to buy their milk so that the baby would be healthier or something like that and I was sitting up front... Like many of the mothers can afford the milk anyway and due to poor nutrition some women have to buy powdered milk because they can't produce or don't eat right, anyway I wanted to leave so bad but suffered through his anti-Western rant.

M.C.A.
8 hours ago, Woolf said:

There was a restriction of income in the first act  7432

60,000 pr year

Very good Woolf and so I wonder though like another expat mentioned if this was signed and approved, thanks again I'll see what else I can find.  This makes sense now and living in a 4th class rated municipality these workers don't keep up with changes or don't have much oversight.

M.C.A.

Performed a little research and this is what I initially come up with, I'm not in any way schooled in law.

RA 7432:   This law states you can't make more than 60,000 pesos per year.

https://dilg.gov.ph/issuances/ra/RA-7432-An-Act-to-Maximize-the-Contribution-of-Senior-Citizens-to-Nation-Building-Grant-/3

REPUBLIC ACT NO. 9257:  An act granting additional benefits and privileges to Senior Citizens amending for the purpose Republic Act No. 7432, otherwise known as "An act to maximize the contribution of Senior Citizens to nation building, grant benefits and special privileges and for other purposes"

https://www.doh.gov.ph/node/4048

Here's the file  https://www.doh.gov.ph/sites/default/files/policies_and_laws/RA09257.pdf