cookie47

Senior Citizens Discount for Foreigner

towboat72

From what I've seen with people dealing with senior citizen discounts its not worth giving up  that much of my time to get the discount.

Standing in line at a grocery store you could die while the clerk fills out the paperwork.And I've not got a surplus of peso's .

• Like 1

cookie47
From what I've seen with people dealing with senior citizen discounts its not worth giving up  that much of my time to get the discount.
Standing in line at a grocery store you could die while the clerk fills out the paperwork.And I've not got a surplus of peso's .
Absolutely, I could not agree more
The financial advantages are stuff all, and yes I've waited for my wife to finalize the paperwork on many occasions and thought geeeez....... Let's go....
Fortunately SM does have a dedicated Senior checkout, but otherwise nahh not worth it.

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

SkyMan
22 minutes ago, towboat72 said:

A good reason to not use the senior's lane.  I only do when no one else is in the line  No need to leave a checker idle.

• Like 3

to_dave007
14 hours ago, Dafey said:

That's it @cookie47...for the crime of posting fake news, you are banned from posting for the next 30 seconds or metric minute...whichever comes first

Perhaps.  but I'd like to see a video of Cookie;s knitting.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

M.C.A.
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Woolf said:

I wonder if this is correct,      anyway good idea to read this article in full

https://www.moneymax.ph/government-services/articles/senior-citizen-discount-philippines/

Okay thank you Woolf and actually, that reminds me to get both of our Postal ID's updated, those expire also geez...  The main reason I wanted to get her an ID card is that all of her ID cards are expired from the US and even mine except for my Military Retiree ID, we got harassed trying to get into a PBI Satellite Office 2018 because the requirement to enter in Sta Rosa Laguna was a valid ID card and I didn't want to leave my Military Retiree ID, the woman security person (not a guard) scoffed at my Postal ID card at the time.

After my wife was given the run around with the Senior Citizen Card she got angry and said to H*ll with it so she no longer wants to pursue the issue or ask for any form of discount we aren't wealthy but grateful to my Government for my military pension and it sure would be nice to a discount at some overpriced spots one, in particular, was the Kenny Rodgers Roasters, I don't plan on ever going there again they cleaned me out of 3000 pesos (3 of us) for tiny portions that left all of us starving, I could have eaten a rack of the delicious BBQ ribs but what I got was a tiny square piece to tease me, my wife and son got the steak and it could have been a peeling it was cut so thin.

Sorry Cookie if I sparked the debate that wasn't my intention but only to relate my wife's experience and also what neighbors shared with me.

Edited by M.C.A.
  • Like 1

cookie47
17 minutes ago, M.C.A. said:

Sorry Cookie if I sparked the debate that wasn't my intention but only to relate my wife's experience a

No issues with me whatsoever . In fact it seems we are on the same page with this subject.. I'm just so sad that your wife's experiences are so different. My wife genuinely gets asked if she's a senior and somewhat is encouraged to use it. Maybe the thinking in Cebu is different, I just don't know. 

• Like 1

cookie47
36 minutes ago, M.C.A. said:

grateful to my Government for my military pension and it sure would be nice to a discount at some overpriced spots one, in

Yes I think some people should pull their heads in and stop thinking that we all live the life of luxury in the Philippines. 

Like your military pension we "live" on one and a half Australian pensions. (remember I paid tax for 50 years).. 

Why one and a half.. My wife is only entitled to 50% due to life/residency rules. 

So if people think that $1200 au dollars a fortnight is living like kings there wrong. (even converted to peso).. 

Subsequently a little discount "occasionally" is appreciated. 

• Thanks 1

Headshot
1 hour ago, cookie47 said:

Ahhhh yeh,, I knew this thread would end up a bun fight after genuinely trying to depart some information.

Cookie, I don't think anybody was attacking you for what you posted, but those of us who have lived here a while have seen this kind of "interpretation" of the "laws" many times. Unfortunately, websites that purport to be authorities on the Philippines will often read a bill and think it is already a law, whereas bills come and go every year without becoming law. It has made many of us distrustful of websites like this (that usually aren't government affiliated). When we can actually read a signed law that makes resident aliens eligible for senior citizen discounts, then we will believe it (and I'm sure that many will take advantage of it). However, for many of us, the hassle isn't worth the reward. The major malls already offer free covered parking to seniors (which we ARE eligible for), but I don't mess with it because it takes several minutes to take care of the paperwork needed to avail. When I leave a mall, I just want to go home (and not wait for some security guard to fill out his form). Thank God that SM Consolacion hasn't started charging for their covered parking yet.

• Like 2

Woolf
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Headshot said:

The major malls already offer free covered parking to seniors (which we ARE eligible for), but I don't mess with it because it takes several minutes to take care of the paperwork needed to avail. When I leave a mall, I just want to go home (and not wait for some security guard to fill out his form). Thank God that SM Consolacion hasn't started charging for their covered parking yet.

As far as I know it is only Cebu City that free parking for seniors, including aliens, limited to 3 hours (private and public parking areas)

Cebu City ordinance 2326

Edited by Woolf
  • Thanks 1

cookie47
5 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Cookie, I don't think anybody was attacking you for what you posted, but those of us who have lived here a while

Yes,, if i gave that impression I'm sorry. 

As you say I probably got caught up in the "is it fake news syndrome" and because I sometimes got too much time on my hands jumped in without thinking. I need to get out more "maybe coffee at SM."I'll bring the Mrs She'll get a discount,, haha... 

• Haha 1

Headshot
20 hours ago, Woolf said:

As far as I know it is only Cebu City that free parking for seniors, including aliens, limited to 3 hours (private and public parking areas)

Cebu City ordinance 2326

True. As far as I know the only three major malls in the Cebu Metro area are in Cebu City, and only two of them charge for parking. I mentioned SM Consolacion, and although it is bigger than any Gaisano Grand or Metro mall, I would hardly consider it a major mall.

• Like 1

Headshot
20 hours ago, cookie47 said:

Yes,, if i gave that impression I'm sorry. 

As you say I probably got caught up in the "is it fake news syndrome" and because I sometimes got too much time on my hands jumped in without thinking. I need to get out more "maybe coffee at SM."I'll bring the Mrs She'll get a discount,, haha...

Yeah, I just got back this morning from a trip around SEA, and maybe it is time for a coffee meetup at Consolacion. I'll text you after I get a new SIM card. I needed a SIM card for Thailand, and unfortunately my old Globe SIM got lost while I was storing it in my wallet.

• Like 1

fivestarph
30 minutes ago, Headshot said:

True. As far as I know the only three major malls in the Cebu Metro area are in Cebu City, and only two of them charge for parking. I mentioned SM Consolacion, and although it is bigger than any Gaisano Grand or Metro mall, I would hardly consider it a major mall.

The free parking rules seem to have changed recently. Whilst the malls give free parking to foreign seniors CITOM say for on street parking the privilege only applies if you can show a Senior Citizen Card. Even my wife who is a Filipino Senior Citizen once did not have her Senior Card with her and got charged even though she showed her Driving Licence indicating she was a senior.

Dafey

So...I would not seek a discount but would enjoy the shortened wait in many establishments for 'seniors'.

Can I 'avail' on the line as a PWD even though I'm not a 'citizen'? I can limp a lot and look disabled if necessary!

• Like 1

Goetz1965

Why you all dont see the easiest wy to avail the discount without any problems?

Just have lola or lolo with you all the time when shooping and use them ....

• Like 1