cookie47

Senior Citizens Discount for Foreigner

Dafey

That's it @cookie47...for the crime of posting fake news, you are banned from posting for the next 30 seconds or metric minute...whichever comes first

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

cookie47

@Dafey
No problem at all..

I waited 30 seconds before giving you a like,,, haha.

BTW, was it fake news, my misunderstanding, old age,, I've looked at the site AGAIN???

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

M.C.A.

My wife turned 60 Philippine citizen so I thought let's get her that Senior Citizens card and boy did we waste our time they wouldn't give her a card because she's married to a foreigner.

• Like 1

cookie47
My wife turned 60 Philippine citizen so I thought let's get her that Senior Citizens card and boy did we waste our time they wouldn't give her a card because she's married to a foreigner.
Well, that's totally opposite to my wife's situation.She went to the "local" Barangay office (on her own) filled out forms, ( she says cant remember any questions relating to foreign spouse, wala, Card delivered personally by President of Seniors accociation who knows me and visits for coffee regularly.

• Like 1

M.C.A.
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, cookie47 said:

Well, that's totally opposite to my wife's situation.She went to the "local" Barangay office (on her own) filled out forms, ( she says cant remember any questions relating to foreign spouse, wala, Card delivered personally by President of Seniors accociation who knows me and visits for coffee regularly.

I never got involved once I never went with her she did this on her own and they were the ones that were aware she was married to a foreigner I also talked with a few of my neighbors and one was retired and collecting 3,000 pesos a month pension and he also wasn't allowed to get a Senior Citizens card.

Edited by M.C.A.
  • Like 1

cookie47
I never got involved once I never went with her she did this on her own.
Yes sure,
I only mentioned it in passing as that's how it happened. I'm at a loss of what to say. Could it be like other government departments, try a different office.. Or is that not practical.

• Like 1

SkyMan
3 hours ago, cookie47 said:

The senior citizen act for foreigners is a senate bill that was passed last May 11, 2018 Senate S.B. No. 2832. 

It may have passed the Senate but not signed.  Also, the date on SB 2832 is '11 May 18 meaning May 18, 2011.

https://www.senate.gov.ph/lis/bill_res.aspx?congress=15&q=SBN-2832

Legislative status

Pending in the Committee (5/23/2011)

• Like 2

Woolf
Posted (edited)

I wonder if this is correct,      anyway good idea to read this article in full

https://www.moneymax.ph/government-services/articles/senior-citizen-discount-philippines/

Seniors must present their senior citizen ID, issued by the Office of the Senior Citizen Affairs (OSCA), to avail of their privileges under the Senior Citizen Act. But without it, they’re still entitled to a senior citizen discount, as long as they present their government-issued ID that shows their age.
Without an OSCA-issued ID, elderly customers may show any of the following valid IDs:

Passport

SSS ID or UMID card

GSIS ID

Driver’s license

PRC ID

Voter’s ID

Postal ID

It’s illegal for businesses to honor only the senior citizen ID and refuse to give discounts when senior customers present another valid ID. In such a situation, seniors have the right to demand the discount due them.

Edited by Woolf
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

cookie47

Yes a big article, With many more discounts available than originally expected. 

I guess Skyman is correct and it hasn't been signed off as yet. The problem is that those news outlets and senior agencies and the like that publish this stuff can make it read as things are set in stone.

You sometimes need to be a lawyer before commenting.. 

Anyway If I've lead people on a wild goose chase I apologize, I thought it was a newsworthy article for those citizens that may be close to senior age, but as it been pointed out some apply and get rejected. 

Also it's not that I was advocating getting a discount at a Sari sari store which was discussed last year in great depth.

• Like 2

Headshot

Nice website. Unfortunately, they don't cite the law that changed the rules for a Philippine Senior citizen card. Until the law that changes the rules is cited, this is just somebody's opinion. As far as I know, the rules for getting a Philippine senior citizen card are... 

Before applying for a senior citizen ID, make sure that you meet these qualifications:

You must be at least 60 years old.

You must be a Filipino citizen.

You must be a resident of your city for at least 6 months.

It doesn't say anywhere that an alien resident qualifies for this privilege. So, show us the new law that changes these rules ... if such a law exists. Otherwise, this is just misinformation. Bills have been submitted just about every year in the Philippine Congress to change the rules, but year after year the bills die in the process without becoming law. Nobody thus far has been able to cite an actual law that changed the rules.

Jawny
10 hours ago, M.C.A. said:

My family has experienced this sort of response at the Barangay level.  That is, monies were made available for assistance after a calamity, but the locals who administered the distribution made the arbitrary decision that having a foreigner as a relative was a disqualifying factor.

The right to getting a senior citizens card is a nation wide law, and I’ve never seen anything that listed disqualifying factors.  It’s even a bit amusing to watch some clearly wealthy senior making a demand for their discount on a jolly bee meal.  Maybe the money they save is given to charity?

• Haha 3

cookie47
50 minutes ago, Jawny said:

senior making a demand for their discount on a jolly bee meal.  Maybe the money they save is given to charity?

Ahhhh yeh,, I knew this thread would end up a bun fight after genuinely trying to depart some information. In fact Jawny believe it or not my wife only uses "her senior card @ sm once a fortnight to purchase our groceries. And in the very rare occasions we eat at one of the restaurants in SM mainly a chain called "Saviory".. I always insist that the discount that is given to "her" not me as the discount is only calculated on "her card" is given to the wait staff as as a tip as a minimum,, That's my rules and will always be.

Firstly she's not demanding, shes availing a service she's entitled to and does often get asked at the time of payment "senior ma'am"??? . ( why. because probably she lookes like a senior,, I dunno".. She's 67..

She/we are full time residents (meaning we have no ties housing wise with Australia (No massive houses with swimming pools waiting for our return) nothing... and have committed to the Philippines full time as one can) and she is a Duel citizen senior. 

Don't steriotype please.. 

Paddy
13 minutes ago, cookie47 said:

Don't steriotype please

😄 shouldn’t that be “stereotypo”? Or would that lead to a “dual”?

(sorry Cookie, couldn’t resist)

• Like 1

cookie47
shouldn’t that be “stereotypo”? Or would that lead to a “dual”?

(sorry Cookie, couldn’t resist)
Ahh yes thanks, someone with a sense of humour.

I just let spell check sort it out now... If it gets it wrong, hey....

Paddy
6 minutes ago, cookie47 said:

humour.

Glad to see you have a real English spell checker!😄

• Like 1