jimmyzr1

1st time Driver’s License for tourist?

lamoe
1 hour ago, Paddy said:

So, quite tricky to satisfy the precise requirements, but I bet the 90 day grace period for driving on a foreign license is still enshrined in the law!😄

Checked at J Mall - Visas available in 1, 2, 6 months

To be safe - talk to LTO office mgr and get the number of concurrent visas you need - IF they hold to the 1 yr requirement and they let you have multiples - since you're paying upfront they should.

RedRanger
On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 3:54 AM, Paddy said:

So, quite tricky to satisfy the precise requirements, but I bet the 90 day grace period for driving on a foreign license is still enshrined in the law!😄

I have had police in the Albay region try to tell me my US Driver Licenses isn't good in that area when I am on vacation there.  They have never given me a ticket.

Woolf
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, RedRanger said:

I have had police in the Albay region try to tell me my US Driver Licenses isn't good in that area when I am on vacation there.  They have never given me a ticket.

http://www.lto.gov.ph/frequently-asked-questions/license-permit.html

2.  I have a valid foreign driver’s license. Can I use it in the Philippines?

Yes, 90 days from date of arrival.

Recommended to have a copy of bio page and page with latest entry stamp with you 

Edited by Woolf
  • Like 2

jimmyzr1

Ok, today I went to LTO Mactan and upon entering the building, a lady working there said I needed to have at least one year left on my Visa. I told them I plan on getting married and living here and said that I have over 5 months left on my Visa. She referred me to the guard next to her. He brought me to the room main room of the office and referred me to a man. I told him my plans and he told me to go take the drug test/medical and come back. Then they just handed my paperwork to the workers and I went through the steps and all was done. Thanks to that man.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Janneo
On 5/25/2019 at 11:38 PM, jimmyzr1 said:

I did not get lucky on being able to open a bank account here yet. I’ve been turned down twice, so I put one in my girlfriend’s name.

You could perhaps get a shared account with your girlfriend, that way you will have access and your own atm card. That is what I have had for 5 years now (BDO). 

lamoe
10 hours ago, jimmyzr1 said:

Ok, today I went to LTO Mactan and upon entering the building, a lady working there said I needed to have at least one year left on my Visa. I told them I plan on getting married and living here and said that I have over 5 months left on my Visa. She referred me to the guard next to her. He brought me to the room main room of the office and referred me to a man. I told him my plans and he told me to go take the drug test/medical and come back. Then they just handed my paperwork to the workers and I went through the steps and all was done. Thanks to that man.

As has been said - it all depends - who, where, even when

Big guy at J Mall was cranky last week when i renewed my visa - first time I've seen that.

• Like 1

RedRanger
Posted (edited)
On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 7:09 AM, jimmyzr1 said:

I went to the LTO in Davao City, filled out forums, did the medical test and then was sitting and waiting in line and then after waiting about 15 minutes, I wasn't able to get a DL they said since I only had 30 day entry on my visa they couldn't give it to me.  Said that a BB stamp would work, but of course I left my wife back in USA.

I was hoping I could pull some strings and tip enough in the LTO to get a DL, didn't work back in October.  I am still trying to figure out how to get a Philippines DL without having my wife go to PI with me.

Edited by RedRanger

Paddy
49 minutes ago, RedRanger said:

I am still trying to figure out how to get a Philippines DL without having my wife go to PI with me.

But until you plan to be here longer than 90 days, you don’t need one. 

My sympathies are with those who are here regularly for longer than 90 days but less than a year. (For years before I retired, I was here each year for 3-4 months. Fortunately, the 1 year visa validity condition was not in place the first time I was here for > 90 days)

SkyMan
56 minutes ago, RedRanger said:

I went to the LTO in Davao City, filled out forums, did the medical test and then was sitting and waiting in line and then after waiting about 15 minutes, I wasn't able to get a DL they said since I only had 30 day entry on my visa they couldn't give it to me.  Said that a BB stamp would work, but of course I left my wife back in USA.

I was hoping I could pull some strings and tip enough in the LTO to get a DL, didn't work back in October.  I am still trying to figure out how to get a Philippines DL without having my wife go to PI with me.

How long do you plan to be here?

RedRanger
22 hours ago, Paddy said:

But until you plan to be here longer than 90 days, you don’t need one. 

My sympathies are with those who are here regularly for longer than 90 days but less than a year. (For years before I retired, I was here each year for 3-4 months. Fortunately, the 1 year visa validity condition was not in place the first time I was here for > 90 days)

I need one for other purpose, Like checking into hotels, airlines, etc. I can carry a Philippines DL and use that in place of always having to pull out my passport.  Not really worried about getting it to drive, more for ID purpose it sure comes in handy

RedRanger
22 hours ago, SkyMan said:

How long do you plan to be here?

It depends

If I travel alone I always book about 29 to 30 days trip, If I come with my wife back to Philippines which I haven't yet I may stay quit a bit longer, have her stay about one month and then head home and I would probably stay another month and explore 

to_dave007
12 minutes ago, RedRanger said:

I need one for other purpose, Like checking into hotels, airlines, etc. I can carry a Philippines DL and use that in place of always having to pull out my passport.  Not really worried about getting it to drive, more for ID purpose it sure comes in handy

Can use ACR card as ID when checking into hotels..  

• Like 1

RedRanger
25 minutes ago, to_dave007 said:

Can use ACR card as ID when checking into hotels..  

Can you use it to check into the airlines for domestic travel?

SkyMan
5 minutes ago, RedRanger said:

Can you use it to check into the airlines for domestic travel?

Yes.

• Thanks 1

Paddy

But if you’re never here past 59 days you’ll never get an ACR card...(waits for Wolf to contradict...😄)

Technically while here, you are supposed to carry your passport. 

I appreciate the each-to-his-own view, but why wouldn’t you simply stick with the passport for hotels, airlines and banks/money changing?