jimmyzr1

1st time Driver’s License for tourist?

cookie47

Go to Seaside.
I got a different result from Jmall.

I'm on a different Visa, (Balakbayan).

Jmall told me @3 months nahhh no chance got to have 12 months remaining on your visa. Gave up, no car no need so didn't stress.

Seaside shopping @7 months, Happened to be passing the LTO, Mrs said go in and ask ahh OK. ,,, yeh no PROBLEM.

WTF.

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Soupeod
5 hours ago, cookie47 said:

Go to Seaside.

Jmall told me @3 months nahhh no chance got to have 12 months remaining on your visa. Gave up, no car no need so didn't stress.

Seaside shopping @7 months, Happened to be passing the LTO, Mrs said go in and ask ahh OK. ,,, yeh no PROBLEM.

WTF.

It seems to depend on what office and who you talk to no matter what you seek

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

cookie47
Go to Seaside.

WTF.

There's a funny side story to this. After form filling I was told to present at medical center next door. Medical was straight forward but could not pee.

Tried really hard but no, and was told "must" fill the container.. Anyway they close for lunch so the nurse said no problem just come back.. So 3 coffees, three liters of water, two bottles of Coconut juice we returned. I felt better because also there was a Filipino guy in his 30s that had the same problem.
Anyway ANOTHER hour and all done. Back to LTO. All completed in about 45min.
Total time 5 hours but most of the delay was my fault.... And the licence is nice looking plastic.. I've used it once for ID only.

• Like 1

Dafey
3 hours ago, cookie47 said:

Tried really hard but no, and was told "must" fill the container

I have a hard time too when someone is watching! :shocked:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

SkyMan
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, cookie47 said:

Tried really hard but no, and was told "must" fill the container..

I felt like going when I went in but it took a while to start.  Then stopped about half.  Another 10 minutes and I was maybe 3/4.  Thought about spitting in it a few times but figured I'd end up in jail.  So finally got to 7/8 and gave her that and she was ok with it.  I was afraid I'd have to come back and start over.  Never a problem at the VA, fill it up and leftover.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 1

cookie47
Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, SkyMan said:
I felt like going when I went in but it took a while to start.  Then stopped about half.  Another 10 minutes and I was maybe 3/4.  Thought about spitting in it a few times but figured I'd end up in jail.  So finally got to 7/8 and gave her that and she was ok with it.  I was afraid I'd have to come back and start over.  Never a problem at the VA, fill it up and leftover.

Yes, had I known I was having a test I probably would have planned it a bit better and "maybe" drank a little more before arriving.
But as Dafey said, an open door with staff milling around, other candidates in and out of the doctors room is not conducive to "performing"..

Edited by cookie47
Spelling
  • Like 1

Woolf
Posted (edited)

It is only in region 7 that they do the pee test, 

ya last time I had problems as also

Edited by Woolf
  • Haha 1

KID

lol-----maybe they should start a night shift to address they pee issues

• Like 1

jimmyzr1
12 hours ago, cookie47 said:

Go to Seaside.

WTF.

What kind of visa were you on? And how much time left on current visa? Also, if it was initial Driver’s License, how long ago did you get apply for your license?

cookie47
What kind of visa were you on? And how much time left on current visa? Also, if it was initial Driver’s License, how long ago did you get apply for your license?
Visa has always been Balakbayan.

Arrived June 2018.

Attempted to convert in September.
Denied..Jmall. Didn't worry too much as in reality had no budget for a vehicle... Well not the one that I wanted. And didn't want to buy a junker..

Just by chance tried again in Seaside January 2019
Successfull..
This was totally unexpected...

cookie47

Further to your question.

It was my first attempt to obtain a Philippine license.
I have been coming since 1984 (first wife from Negros,, (deceased),, but as the family always had a van and previous trips were always classified as a Vacation I saw no reason in acquiring a license. It just didn't seem necessary.

jimmyzr1
21 minutes ago, cookie47 said:

Further to your question.

It was my first attempt to obtain a Philippine license.
I have been coming since 1984 (first wife from Negros,, (deceased),, but as the family always had a van and previous trips were always classified as a Vacation I saw no reason in acquiring a license. It just didn't seem necessary.

Wow, it sounds like you’ve had some life and experience here. I’m hoping somehow, I will get lucky and they will approve a license. I did not get lucky on being able to open a bank account here yet. I’ve been turned down twice, so I put one in my girlfriend’s name.

• Thanks 1

SomeRandomGuy

Damn I am so glad I got my licence a few years ago.  

Sounds like a pain these days.

T.S.
On 5/24/2019 at 3:57 PM, Jawny said:

http://www.lto.gov.ph/license-permit-issuance/284-non-professional-driver-s-license.html

From the link........."In addition, for foreigners, the applicant must have been in the Philippines for at least one (1) month with proof that he/she will stay in the country for at least one (1) year from date of application."

Exactly the kind of wording that leaves room for interpretation.  That is, what constitutes "proof"?

Below that under "Requirements" the wording changes to "In addition, for foreigners, original and photocopy of passport with entry of at least one (1) month and visa duration of at least one (1) year from date of application"

Paddy

So, quite tricky to satisfy the precise requirements, but I bet the 90 day grace period for driving on a foreign license is still enshrined in the law!😄