Sign in to follow this  
jimmyzr1

1st time Driver’s License for tourist?

savarity
".... proof that he/she will stay in the country for at least one (1) year from date of application. "
Such as what?
  1. TWO 6 month extensions? (oops..  a little less than a year)
  2.  Plane ticket for a date a year from now?
  3.  Property lease for a year?
  4.  year long work contract?
  5.  whatever other PROOF you can find.
Just wondering..  out loud.
Well, I think it was added specifically to deny licenses for tourists. I don't think a tourist is supposed to be able to find a way around it.

However, obviously some LTO offices have continued to allow tourists to convert a license.

Dafey

Go to the province...no questions asked!

• Like 5

Woolf
40 minutes ago, savarity said:

Well, I think it was added specifically to deny licenses for tourists. I don't think a tourist is supposed to be able to find a way around it.

Well tourist are allowed to stay for 3 years, so why the restriction ??

savarity
Don't know, but it does seem that way, based on the, 1 year from the date of application, thing.

SkyMan
28 minutes ago, savarity said:
48 minutes ago, Woolf said:

Don't know, but it does seem that way, based on the, 1 year from the date of application, thing.

1 hour ago, savarity said:

TWO 6 month extensions? (oops..  a little less than a year)

Close enough.

to_dave007

AND..  interestingly..  two 6 months visa doesn't provide any PROOF that you'll stay in the country a year.  You aren't chained up.  Free to leave whenever you want.  Really NOTHING provides the proof.   but a plane ticket in a year would be better than two 6 months visa.

Woolf
5 minutes ago, to_dave007 said:

AND..  interestingly..  two 6 months visa doesn't provide any PROOF that you'll stay in the country a year.  You aren't chained up.  Free to leave whenever you want.  Really NOTHING provides the proof.   but a plane ticket in a year would be better than two 6 months visa.

I think that you can not get a ticket 12 month out  maybe 11 months

• Like 1

Irenicus
On 5/23/2019 at 10:25 PM, jimmyzr1 said:

Hello, I was wondering if anyone had the latest information on obtaining a Philippine Driver’s License on a tourist’s visa?

It's like anything else here.  Some offices enforce the 1 year rule; others don't.

It's like opening a bank account when you first arrive or buying medications without a prescription.  Just ask around until someone says yes.

• Like 4

lamoe
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, to_dave007 said:

A ticket can be refundable

You're right nothing is proof just proof of intentions

Edited by lamoe

Jawny

http://www.lto.gov.ph/license-permit-issuance/284-non-professional-driver-s-license.html

From the link........."In addition, for foreigners, the applicant must have been in the Philippines for at least one (1) month with proof that he/she will stay in the country for at least one (1) year from date of application."

Exactly the kind of wording that leaves room for interpretation.  That is, what constitutes "proof"?

menehune

Wow i didnt know the rules for getting one here. I was only here less then 6 months and was told i could drive with my valid drivers license and passport. But could only do that for 6 months. Well our friend knew someone in the lto and we only had to have a valid drivers lic to get a Philippines license take the drug test and done. Well even my other california friend that has been here over 4 years, license was expired and she just had her boss sign it off with a little extra tip. Haha love it here. Always more fun.

SkyMan
2 minutes ago, menehune said:

But could only do that for 6 months.

90 days actually.

• Like 2

jimmyzr1

Well, I’m getting very tired of walking and riding, does anyone know of any place in the Cebu area that will approve with less than 6 months left?

SkyMan
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, jimmyzr1 said:

Well, I’m getting very tired of walking and riding, does anyone know of any place in the Cebu area that will approve with less than 6 months left?

Probably your best bet is to take a ride to Danao with your translator.   If that doesn't work then I'd get another 6 month extension if you plan to be here that long. You might try going to SM Seaside first though.

Edited by SkyMan

Paddy

I remain eternally grateful I did my conversion before the one year limit was introduced (ie the first time I was here for 90+ days)

Of course, it then took several years to actually get the plastic!! (Welcome to Masbate eh?)