jimmyzr1

1st time Driver’s License for tourist?

jimmyzr1

Hello, I was wondering if anyone had the latest information on obtaining a Philippine Driver’s License on a tourist’s visa? I just extended for 6 months. Thanks for the help.

SkyMan
2 minutes ago, jimmyzr1 said:

Hello, I was wondering if anyone had the latest information on obtaining a Philippine Driver’s License on a tourist’s visa? I just extended for 6 months. Thanks for the help.

They were imposing a 1 year visa rule, however, I think they've slacked off on that.  You might go see if you can get one but if they saw you need to show a year then you can go get another 6 months if you plan to be here that long.

• Like 1

Woolf
Posted (edited)

The only way that I know of to get a drivers license in PH as a tourist is

Go get a 6 month extension, next day go get another 6 month extension

same day go to an LTO office and ask for a drivers license conversion  (hope you already have a license)

maybe the LTO office in SM Seaside cebu city is best as as they can make the plastic card

Edited by Woolf
  • Like 2

savarity

Someone on here once suggested that the LTO office in Dumaguete would always convert a license, even without a 1 year visa.

• Like 1

Woolf
Posted (edited)

Hmm, one thing I forgot

Before they implemented the 1 year visa rule, about 3-4-5 years ago, you needed a ACR-I card, I do not know if you still have to have it  ???

Edited by Woolf

Woolf

@lamoe

When you got your Philippine drivers license, did you have to show the ACR-I card ???

lamoe
2 hours ago, Woolf said:

@lamoe

When you got your Philippine drivers license, did you have to show the ACR-I card ???

Showed it  -  don't remember if required

• Like 2

jimmyzr1

I just got my 6 month extension a couple of weeks ago and my reup date is on the 15th. I already have a tourist acr card but I really need a car because I’m getting worn out walking way too much. I have to go for massages at least twice per week and still am hurting. Also, we live in a subdivision and it’s too far to walk all of the time. I would love to pick up a used car but don’t want to drive without a license. I have been here in phils since the middle of January.

SkyMan
18 minutes ago, jimmyzr1 said:

I just got my 6 month extension a couple of weeks ago and my reup date is on the 15th. I already have a tourist acr card but I really need a car because I’m getting worn out walking way too much. I have to go for massages at least twice per week and still am hurting. Also, we live in a subdivision and it’s too far to walk all of the time. I would love to pick up a used car but don’t want to drive without a license. I have been here in phils since the middle of January.

Do you have an unexpired license from your own country?

jimmyzr1
Posted (edited)

Yes, it expires next year.

Edited by jimmyzr1

SkyMan
1 hour ago, jimmyzr1 said:

Yes, it expires next year.

Assuming it's in English you do a conversion rather than starting with the learner's permit.  And you keep your old license too.

lamoe
25 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

Assuming it's in English you do a conversion rather than starting with the learner's permit.  And you keep your old license too.

Mine had expired - didn't do a conversion - just showed them old - having office mgr literally hold my hand through the process may have helped.

She was going to inform front desk people that two 6's = a 12

Actually a 4 + 6 + 3 would be OK also I believe = just so adds top 12 IF she's still there

Woolf

From the LTO web site

The foreign goes instead of SP (student permit)

http://www.lto.gov.ph/license-permit-issuance/284-non-professional-driver-s-license.html

QUALIFICATIONS

Must be at least eighteen (18) years old

Must be physically and mentally fit to operate a motor vehicle;

Must be able to read and write Filipino, English or the applicable local dialect;

Must be a holder of a valid SP issued at least thirty (30) days prior to the application; and

In addition, for foreigners, the applicant must have been in the Philippines for at least one (1) month with proof that he/she will stay in the country for at least one (1) year from date of application.

REQUIREMENTS

1. NEW APPLICATION/CONVERSION

Duly Accomplished Application for Driver's License (ADL);

Valid SP issued at least thirty (30) days from date of application;

Medical Certififcate issued by any licensed practicing physician stating that the applicant is physically and mentally fit to operate a motor vehicle or otherwise stating his/her impairment; and

In addition, for foreigners, original and photocopy of passport with entry of at least one (1) month and visa duration of at least one (1) year from date of application, or if born in the Philippines, present original and photocopy of birth certificate duly authenticated by the NSO.

In the event that the applicant is a holder of a valid Foreign Driver's License, the applicant may present the original and photocopy of Foreign Driver's License, if not in English language, original and photocopy of official English translation from Embassy of the issuing country instead of an SP.

to_dave007
Posted (edited)

".... proof that he/she will stay in the country for at least one (1) year from date of application. "

Such as what?

1. TWO 6 month extensions? (oops..  a little less than a year)
  2.  Plane ticket for a date a year from now?
  3.  Property lease for a year?
  4.  year long work contract?
  5.  whatever other PROOF you can find.

Just wondering..  out loud.

Edited by to_dave007

lamoe
Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, to_dave007 said:

".... proof that he/she will stay in the country for at least one (1) year from date of application. "

Such as what?

1. TWO 6 month extensions? (oops..  a little less than a year)

Just wondering..  out loud.

Depends on the office / office mgr

The one I spoke to was very sympathetic and said 6 moth should have been enough

My 2nd 6 was actually several weeks after my first was  issued - yes was less than a year left on them  -

Edited by lamoe