Raven
22 hours ago, rfm010 said:

Not if it means having to pass through cdo again!   A trip review is due, need to clear some time for it soon.

Is this because of traffic or the relatives!!! :rolleyes:

• Like 1

rfm010
14 hours ago, Raven said:

Is this because of traffic or the relatives!!! :rolleyes:

They will both be part of the trip review.   

Btw does anyone know the owners of  the j &a fishpen food place?

user333

Still waiting on your review rfm010! ; )

Our Camiguin Adventure - Feb 2020

IMG_E2568ee.jpg.ef51c71f65857d6d1333369c19b01989.jpg

My wife and I flew to Panglao's airport, took the 50 p bus to ICM (Tagbilaran's mall), and then took an AC yellow/green Southern Star bus (90 p) to Jagna. There is only 1 ferry a day. The Super Shuttle Ferry leaves Jagna (Bohol) at 1 PM and arrives in Balbagon, Camiguin at 4:15 PM. The price is 425 p. In Jagna, you also have to pay 10 p for the municipal fee and 12 p for the terminal fee. You would think they would have all three ticket sellers in one place. Nope! You have to walk 30 meters from one station to the next and 2 of the offices are outside the port's gate. We went all the way through two gates and then through the metal detector area and no one stopped us to see if we had a ticket. We're about to board the ferry and we couldn't find a ticket seller. Had to walk back outside the security gate to a tiny, wooden shack on the side of the road for the ticket. Crazy.

After arriving in Camiguin, I was almost barred from entering due to the coronavirus scare (see my other topic on that). We arranged a scooter rental and they agreed to meet us at the port. 325 p per day for 4 days. They guided us to our hotel (GV Hotel in Mambajao - 700 p) and then we went to the local mall for some dinner and to buy water. We drove over to Parola Park (north Mambajao) to watch the sunset and then went to sleep. Got 30 bed bug bites at that hotel. I will not be returning. The next day, we drove over to Ardent Hot Springs (50 p) and relaxed for an hour. There was a local kid drinking the water. They had 4 pools and said they were different temperatures, but the last one was the warmest (88 F/31 C). It started to rain and it was approaching our checkout time, so we went back to the hotel to pack our things.

IMG_0177ee.thumb.jpg.688ad3c306eb744071b4481bb86b1caf.jpg

It was raining hard, so we waited at the hotel and then drove to our next hotel on Camiguin's west side. It rained the whole way there and there were some steeper sections of the road that hugged the coast. Seaside Traveler's Inn was 1,150 p per night and we stayed 2 nights. A real mattress, cold AC, hot shower, free kayaks, and a great view on the water. This was a great place on the west side of the island. It was by the polytechnic college. There were some poor families on either side of us who were raising pigs and cows. We took the kayak out and snapped a photo of the island at sunset.   

IMG_E2758ee.thumb.jpg.de3dad43481737882df826202e0cb927.jpg

The next day, we drove up the mountains and went to the St Nino cold spring (50 p) and it was very cold water. Great view though. I went for a dip and was the only one in the pool.

IMG_2638eea.jpg.ac55865b8a02686673f3d87cf0536e8f.jpg

Then we drove to Tuasan Falls (50 p). There was a huge landslide that they were clearing just a few hundred meters from the parking lot. After taking some pictures, we left.

IMG_2672ee.jpg.fd013448861f484dea9ddd220a7186f3.jpg

We drove back to the hotel and did some more kayaking. It was a rocky beach. No sand. Ate dinner at Northern Lights in Catarman. Great place. We went back 3 more times. Pizza for 250 p, beer for 35 p, flavored beer for 45 p, and local calamansi juice for 35 p.

IMG_2736ee.jpg.0ff75cadb7cd9db1af37ff35698137f4.jpg

The next day, we wanted to complete our route around the island, so we drove from the west side to the east side. There were some nice views from the road and we briefly stopped at the Katunggan mangrove park. We grabbed some food near the Benoni ferry terminal (2 sweet fried bananas on a stick were 5 p total) and kept driving towards Balbagon. On the south side of the island, there isn't much. We could see Mantique Island in the distance but had no desire to go visit. We drove back to our hotel and checked out and then drove to our new hotel: Camiguin Island Golden Sunset Beach Club (2,100 p). On the way there, we could see the sunken cemetery cross and the old church ruins.

IMG_E2766ee.thumb.jpg.785a2ed85989f8494f883765ec8b2e51.jpg

This hotel was on the north side of the island and right on the water. It had a pool, free breakfast, and a function room, but it had very slow wifi that you could only access from the function room on the second floor. I tried to snorkel but the tide was too low and that water was really murky. I swam in their pool and that water was really murky too. We went to Guerrera Restaurant and it's advertised for foreigners, is eco-friendly, and located next to a rice paddy and the ocean. We had the place to ourselves for half an hour before 2 more couples showed up. Great sunset.

IMG_2772ee.thumb.jpg.cbf650c04899e6b633c69de6b711b68a.jpg

It was just ok food. Large portions. We stopped by a small road stand to grab a mango shake and then went back to the hotel. There were 10 retired-looking Westerners who were having a good time talking by the pool We woke up the next day and drove to the port to buy our ferry ticket, and the lady said we also had the option to board the ferry and buy the ticket on the ferry. We just bought it from her, drove back to the hotel, ate breakfast, and then drove back to the port. The weather was brisk in the morning! As we were leaving, this middle aged American guy was talking to his travel agent on the phone and was wanting to change his layover flight from Seoul to a direct flight to the US due to the coronavirus. As instructed, we left our scooter at the port with the key still there and the guy said he'd pick it up later. "No crime" is what he said.

We arrived in Jagna by 11:30 AM and went to visit my friend who lives near Anda. Bohol has much better beaches.

IMG_2801ee.thumb.jpg.dd971ad78f4855a96a8b09d3666f4448.jpgIMG_2819ee.thumb.jpg.9a90987dc9558f6e35c876951baa88e2.jpg

Camiguin could have been visited in 3 days. It's a laid back place that doesn't have too many tourists. We saw what we wanted to see, but we wouldn't go back there.  

Edited by user333
picture
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5

newtocebu

@user333

Thanks for sharing mate

to_dave007
9 hours ago, user333 said:

Still waiting on your review rfm010! ; )

Ditto @rfm010

rfm010

Yeah i owe a review i guess, been reluctant as at turns out there may be reader(s) who know relatives there and so some diplomatic language will be required.  

As with all trips with the family i'm just along for the ride, activities are tamed down a bit to accommodate abilities and interests of some less adventurous types.  This translates, in one way, on too much emphasis on food, which in some cases was surprisingly (given reviews i had seen) good.  

For the moment, given the stock market is in disarray (SO pissed at myself for not being in MRNA;  i am big on rna stocks,  it was on my radar, but hadnt gotten into it yet) as is my upstairs wood flooring (damn termites must be related to family -- too much emphasis on my floors as food) , i will let user333's review serve as proxy for mine.  Although mine will be different regarding locations visited.

fwiw, along the east coast i didnt see any near shore water that i would be tempted to dip my toes in.

• Thanks 1