Jump to content
rfm010

Camiguin

Recommended Posts

rfm010

seem to be headed to camiguin with some extended family this weekend  (26, 27th, leave 28th morning for cdo airport).

anybody have a good idea on what weather may be expected?   lots more questions follow, but if anyone has decent info on this, it by itself would be really helpful.

white island:  looks like we will go there.   any good info on what to expect this time of year?  crowded or not?  how's the snorkeling?  and beach conditions?  bathrooms (other than the ocean, and if none, general water current info so i know where not to swim?)?   and such.

had plans, the reasons for which i won't go into, to stay at J&A fishpen travel lodge but those fell through.  so now staying at sabuga seaside cottages  if only because the people looking couldn't find anything else (nine people 2 rooms, i may book a third if available, family can be cheap on matters where they need not be).   anybody have an opinion on this place?   is the beach there clean?  is the water calm?  are there any karaoke addicted roosters nearby?

any good diving to be done?  in this regard it is for my daughter only.  she is qualified for deep water stuff but she would like to stay fairly shallow to have more water time.  anything of that sort near white beach that could be done while the rest of us are on the beach?  or any other places that are good? 

any other good beaches with decent snorkeling? 

hiking:  seems to be available, most of the adults frankly aren't up to anything steep or prolonged, but the kids and i would be interested in such things.  any special recommendations? 

food.  not served at sabuga, which is a couple of inches west of the town (yumbing?)  with the white island ferry terminal, so that's the town we will likely do some eating in.  any recommendations?  or for other places?   

we will be taking the boat over from balingoan early morning of the 26th after a day stay in cdo on the 25th.  any ideas on how much time it takes to get there from CDO

well, that's quite a bit to ask and there is less than a week to go, so let's all hop to it.   any help is of course more than greatly appreciated.  i have done some initial searches on the forum, and will be doing some more googling.   but google actually doesn't like me so don't know what i'll find.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Captain Camiguin

Beaches? Hahahahaha nope yar  but lots  of rocks,  mucho over rated shithole lol maybe yous family enjoy the water swim, toilets for local people's feeding the fishs, just go shits in the sea, you not worry get sick on Camiguin 2 good a hospital here many people's go hospital and die no come out walking, so musta, be good a, Camiguin over rated poxole,

  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
oztony
22 minutes ago, Captain Camiguin said:

Camiguin over rated poxole,

I take it you don't work for the Camiguin tourist bureau ....

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
shadow
6 hours ago, rfm010 said:

seem to be headed to camiguin with some extended family this weekend  (26, 27th, leave 28th morning for cdo airport).

anybody have a good idea on what weather may be expected?   lots more questions follow, but if anyone has decent info on this, it by itself would be really helpful.

white island:  looks like we will go there.   any good info on what to expect this time of year?  crowded or not?  how's the snorkeling?  and beach conditions?  bathrooms (other than the ocean, and if none, general water current info so i know where not to swim?)?   and such.

had plans, the reasons for which i won't go into, to stay at J&A fishpen travel lodge but those fell through.  so now staying at sabuga seaside cottages  if only because the people looking couldn't find anything else (nine people 2 rooms, i may book a third if available, family can be cheap on matters where they need not be).   anybody have an opinion on this place?   is the beach there clean?  is the water calm?  are there any karaoke addicted roosters nearby?

any good diving to be done?  in this regard it is for my daughter only.  she is qualified for deep water stuff but she would like to stay fairly shallow to have more water time.  anything of that sort near white beach that could be done while the rest of us are on the beach?  or any other places that are good? 

any other good beaches with decent snorkeling? 

hiking:  seems to be available, most of the adults frankly aren't up to anything steep or prolonged, but the kids and i would be interested in such things.  any special recommendations? 

food.  not served at sabuga, which is a couple of inches west of the town (yumbing?)  with the white island ferry terminal, so that's the town we will likely do some eating in.  any recommendations?  or for other places?   

we will be taking the boat over from balingoan early morning of the 26th after a day stay in cdo on the 25th.  any ideas on how much time it takes to get there from CDO

well, that's quite a bit to ask and there is less than a week to go, so let's all hop to it.   any help is of course more than greatly appreciated.  i have done some initial searches on the forum, and will be doing some more googling.   but google actually doesn't like me so don't know what i'll find.

We spent some time on Camiguin, most of it in Yumbing, earlier this year. We have no desire to go back, ever. I will give my opinion on some of your questions, but for the condensed version just read Capt Camiguin's post. We were there on business, so did not partake of much of the very limited recreation available.

We stayed at July's Haven (decent place), a few clicks further down the highway from the white Island area. Water was calm in the morning, and got very rough as the day wore on.

White Island; Just a sand spit in the ocean, maybe 100 meters long, there was about 50 people there the day we attended, no facilities of any kind,  the wife enjoyed snorkeling there for about an hour, then was done, neither of us had any desire to go back, ever.

Diving: Not much near White Island, but some other tourists said they enjoyed the sunken cemetery (not far away) and the giant clam sanctuary (opposite end of the island), in that order of preference.

Hiking: Seems to be quite a bit of trails, but the mountains are mostly very steep. We limited our hiking to two wheels.

Food; We tried a number of places, and were quite disappointed in most of them. About the best we found was a small bakery type place called Perry's Pizza, it is right on the highway in Yumbing. Most of the food we had there was edible, which is more than I can say for some of the other places we tried. One of the waitresses was great, the rest of them didn't seem to care if you were there or not. The Empanadas are great with hot sauce (which we bought at the Gaisano in Mambijao), I found myself buying 3 or 4 every morning, and snacking on them the rest of the day.

Baligoan is about 2.5 or 3 hour bus ride from CDO, and the ferry ride to Camiguin is about 2 hours.

I hope you enjoy the place more than we did. Personally, Siquijor is almost identical in size to Camiguin, is much easier to get to, and has a lot more to offer.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rfm010
13 hours ago, oztony said:

I take it you don't work for the Camiguin tourist bureau ....

Maybe he's just being selfish and wanting to keep paradise for himself?  

SIgh.  

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rfm010
12 hours ago, shadow said:

...

We stayed at July's Haven (decent place), a few clicks further down the highway from the white Island area. Water was calm in the morning, and got very rough as the day wore on...

Where we will stay is right next to that.  Did you or your wife form an opinion of the beach (whatever) out in front?  If the water isnt too rough we may want to try snorkeling early in the day for want of anything else to do.  

Wife and and kid may take a professional interest on the giant clams and possible other sites even if not up to tourist standards, the other adults not so adventurous, the young adults will do most anything once for the sake of new selfie backgrounds. 

Thanks for all the info, the perrys pizza info may prove invaluable.  Think i'll be bringing a big stash of ritz crackers.

14 hours ago, Captain Camiguin said:

Beaches? Hahahahaha nope yar  but lots  of rocks,  mucho over rated shithole lol maybe yous family enjoy the water swim, toilets for local people's feeding the fishs, just go shits in the sea, you not worry get sick on Camiguin 2 good a hospital here many people's go hospital and die no come out walking, so musta, be good a, Camiguin over rated poxole,

Weather?   It' going to poor rain isnt it?   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
shadow
5 minutes ago, rfm010 said:

Where we will stay is right next to that.  Did you or your wife form an opinion of the beach (whatever) out in front?  If the water isnt too rough we may want to try snorkeling early in the day for want of anything else to do.  

Wife and and kid may take a professional interest on the giant clams and possible other sites even if not up to tourist standards, the other adults not so adventurous, the young adults will do most anything once for the sake of new selfie backgrounds. 

Thanks for all the info, the perrys pizza info may prove invaluable.  Think i'll be bringing a big stash of ritz crackers.

Weather?   It' going to poor rain isnt it?   

The beach seemed ok, not as trashy as many I have seen. There was about a half km of sandy beach. Perry's is about 2 km toward town from there. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GwapoGuy

White Island

As Shadow said, White Island is nothing more then spit of sand. It expands and contracts with the tides and is carefully regulated by the tourism council (fee area). It is very popular with tourists and for good reason, great swimming and fantastic photo opportunities to be had.

If it is sunny, you want to be prepared as there is no shade on the island except for an area where the boatmen and lifeguards hang out. Cold beverages are available and you can drink them in the provided shade. Last time I visited, I didn't have any sunscreen but brought a parasol because I was planning on being out there all day. The wind increased in the afternoon and my parasol broke. Sure enough, one of the boatman saw what happened and offered to fix my parasol for the tidy sum of 300. Watching him sew the material back on the metal frame you could tell he had done that a few times before! :rolleyes:

On the way to White Island.jpg

Every shot is a photo opp..JPG

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
liquido

I took the short plane ride from Cebu to Camiguin staying in Mambajao..At that time they were building the mall there..Im sorry I found the downtown area to be one big craphole...Had a motorbike rental and decided to drive around the Island and checkout the beaches..Decided not to do the interior..Like someone mentioned all the beaches seemed to be very rocky and dark color sand..I guess im spoiled liking the white sand turquoise  color water which was non existant except for white island .Heard about it and saw it from the air and decided was not worth the trip..Thank god was only there for 2 nights and was very happy to get on the plane.I was very disappointed because I was expecting more and the food was awful..Both days the mountain had that shroud of clouds wrapped around it .When I lived in Bohol on clear days I could see Camiguin with that same shroud of clouds.Maybe its a good time there for Lenzones Festival but I would never go back.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
oztony
24 minutes ago, liquido said:

but I would never go back.

Looks like the consensus here is that there are far more worthy places to visit than Camiguin ... and you have to appreciate the honesty of the people giving their opinions , to be honest after reading what others have had to say here I would not bother setting foot onto the place. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GwapoGuy
17 hours ago, rfm010 said:

 food.  not served at sabuga, which is a couple of inches west of the town (yumbing?)  with the white island ferry terminal, so that's the town we will likely do some eating in.  any recommendations?  or for other places?  

Casa Roca

One of the best restaurants on the island, I highly recommend this place. Owned by a Fil/Can couple. It is located 15 minutes west of Yumbing perched on a cliff with marvelous views.

Menu changes daily based on what is available. When I dine there, I just order the catch of the day because it is guaranteed to be caught a few hours ago. Service is above and beyond what you would expect. Wine list is outstanding considering where you are. You can also bring your own. They rent out three rooms and if one is available, I'll stay over rather than drive back to my side of the island. Be prepared for one the best seafood meals you will ever eat!    https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g811339-d3515348-Reviews-Casa_Roca_Inn-Mambajao_Camiguin_Mindanao.html

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Captain Camiguin
12 hours ago, rfm010 said:

Maybe he's just being selfish and wanting to keep paradise for himself?  

SIgh.  

Yar you is clever guy hahaha expose me hahahahaha I want keep my shithole only myselfes, many a loco loco people's riding the motorcycle too faster here like himself the devil chases them after there evil souls and bloody the Filipino tourist in the big macho Ford or the Toyota pickups thinks them own the roads and the God himself riding shotguns  beside them, lunatics, some the days here me thinks they open all the gates of the lunatic asylums and da lunatics come to the Camiguin island to piss us local people's off n they do a vonderful jobs of it,

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Captain Camiguin

And you no 4 get becareful the crazy Swiss mafia, the crazy Germans the booangs from Italy's make a me loose my hair, but the Mr Perry's pizza him top man, ok guy, good place to sit on chair,Drink a cold beer look at the pretty gals go by, then go shit in the seas feed fish's same same locals.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Captain Camiguin
3 hours ago, GwapoGuy said:

Casa Roca

One of the best restaurants on the island, I highly recommend this place. Owned by a Fil/Can couple. It is located 15 minutes west of Yumbing perched on a cliff with marvelous views.

Menu changes daily based on what is available. When I dine there, I just order the catch of the day because it is guaranteed to be caught a few hours ago. Service is above and beyond what you would expect. Wine list is outstanding considering where you are. You can also bring your own. They rent out three rooms and if one is available, I'll stay over rather than drive back to my side of the island. Be prepared for one the best seafood meals you will ever eat!    https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g811339-d3515348-Reviews-Casa_Roca_Inn-Mambajao_Camiguin_Mindanao.html

Ya the Costa Roca ok big Jimmie ok guy Manny times we gets drunkenly same monkeys dance sing HAPPY on table ya good joint nice view look da sea, not you to da bee hive place himself Belgium guy angry old man no like me dancing the table him beer awful hot not da cold same same Mr Perry's pizza beer da northern lites pizza joint same eat the shit in bread awfulness , the pizza joint airport ok but still pizza, betta love pizza or no go Camiguin new name pizza island 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JonnyBravo
And you no 4 get becareful the crazy Swiss mafia, the crazy Germans the booangs from Italy's make a me loose my hair, but the Mr Perry's pizza him top man, ok guy, good place to sit on chair,Drink a cold beer look at the pretty gals go by, then go shit in the seas feed fish's same same locals.

Funny post. You know what makes your post even funnier to me? When I read them, I read the with a Russian accent. Idk maybe it’s just me. Haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Commercial Banner Advertisers

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..