Irenicus

German National Martin Kreusuer Shot in Dumaguete

savarity

I’m going to disagree with you on this one (owning a business is not reason enough to be killed/shot/threatened). I’ve read enough murders going on in the Philippines and it has come down to a foreigner owning a business and some kind of jealousy going on. I think the last one was that Italian expat who was married to a Filipina. I think he was property investor. Shot n killed in his home when he was watching a movie with his wife. But I’ve read others.

Sorry to hear about your friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But how do you know the reason for that murder?

If "jealousy" was the reason, just owning a nice condo, motorcycle, car, nice clothes, etc could also get you killed. You would have to dress like a homeless person, never bathe, and sleep on the street, lest someone get "jealous" of you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

liquido

I think there will be a Restobar on the market soon...

PlanB

I think the “rule” about not owning a business gets circulated around to the point it is supposed to be some kind of fact. I had many conversations with a local foreign restauranteur who was offered millions of U.S dollars to sell and he told me he has an easy time here regarding minimal conflict. Another restauranteur, less financially successful, said the same thing. Nobody has bothered him in 13 years. I’m pretty sure you are not supposed to own big properties too? Same rule maybe? I live near a foreigner/wife with an absolutely gigantic property. Nine car garage or something. He told me no conflict in 18 years. He is a very quiet retired doctor. Maybe owning a lot of stuff increases the chances for conflict, makes you a bigger target, but that is a universal risk, imo.

• Like 1

JonnyBravo
2 hours ago, savarity said:

If "jealousy" was the reason, just owning a nice condo, motorcycle, car, nice clothes, etc could also get you killed. You would have to dress like a homeless person, never bathe, and sleep on the street, lest someone get "jealous" of you.

My man, go walk up colon street with some nice clothes and a fancy watch all by yourself. They’ll kill you over a few pesos if you resist.

All I’m saying is there are things that make you a target. Owning a business is one of them. I’m sure lots of people can do it and never once had a single problem. Still the same either way, you putting yourself at risk. Filipinos are very jealous and hard to tell when they speak the truth (strangers). You must’ve heard that over done joke by now. How do you know when a Filipino is lying? His lips are moving.

And to answer your question from a personal standpoint. When I do go out I don’t dress too nice and I don’t wear flashy jewelry. I only take the amount of money I need. Its a fantasy to think that you can wear nice things in the Philippines and go wherever you want and not expect to get held up or pickpocketed.

• Like 1

Jawny
54 minutes ago, JonnyBravo said:

All I’m saying is there are things that make you a target. Owning a business is one of them. I’m sure lots of people can do it and never once had a single problem. Still the same either way, you putting yourself at risk. Filipinos are very jealous and hard to tell when they speak the truth (strangers). You must’ve heard that over done joke by now. How do you know when a Filipino is lying? His lips are moving.

Tasteless joke and does reflect the character of the many Filipinos I know.  Not sure I see the connection to the misfortune of the man who was shot. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

savarity

My man, go walk up colon street with some nice clothes and a fancy watch all by yourself. They’ll kill you over a few pesos if you resist.

And to answer your question from a personal standpoint. When I do go out I don’t dress too nice and I don’t wear flashy jewelry. I only take the amount of money I need. Its a fantasy to think that you can wear nice things in the Philippines and go wherever you want and not expect to get held up or pickpocketed.

I guess I must not dress nicely enough, because I walk up from near City Hall to near Gorordo, alone, at night, often past 9pm... a few times a week, and have over the past 4 years.

Maybe it's because I don't wear a watch?

Any robber's mistake, I suppose, because I usually carry around 300k, and CCs, on me in case of any medical accident. Since I don't have anyone to bring in money to a hospital, and I'm far more worried about a health problem, than snatchers or robbers.

In regard to lying, I think that comes down mostly to the types of people one associates with. I don't have extensive experience dealing with Filipinos, besides for just mundane matters, ie everyone in the healthcare industry that I've dealt with has been mostly honest. I did consult for a friend with his call center business, everyone involved was honest. All the Pinoy landlords I've rented from have been honest, so far. Sure, street vendors aren't too honest about their pricing, and I suppose criminal types aren't honest either, but I try to avoid dealing with either.
  • Like 6

jtmwatchbiz
53 minutes ago, JonnyBravo said:

better stick to guam as you have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to colon, cebu or Filipinos.  i know about all 3 as for the past 14 years it's been my business to know.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

jtmwatchbiz
6 minutes ago, savarity said:

Sure, street vendors aren't too honest about their pricing, and I suppose criminal types aren't honest either, but I try to avoid dealing with either.

i regularly deal with all of them,  from the guys in the brand new SUV's uptown down to the underground pawn brokers downtown.  it's not so difficult and have established good relationships with them all.  business is business.  i understand dealing with biz here is not for everyone but unless one is actively involved then all their comments are mere speculation.  myself and a bunch of other members live it.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

smokey
4 hours ago, savarity said:

Yep low profile 

3 hours ago, PlanB said:

I think the “rule” about not owning a business gets circulated around to the point it is supposed to be some kind of fact. I had many conversations with a local foreign restauranteur who was offered millions of U.S dollars to sell and he told me he has an easy time here regarding minimal conflict. Another restauranteur, less financially successful, said the same thing. Nobody has bothered him in 13 years. I’m pretty sure you are not supposed to own big properties too? Same rule maybe? I live near a foreigner/wife with an absolutely gigantic property. Nine car garage or something. He told me no conflict in 18 years. He is a very quiet retired doctor. Maybe owning a lot of stuff increases the chances for conflict, makes you a bigger target, but that is a universal risk, imo.

Time of day and area 

Cebuandrew
14 hours ago, JonnyBravo said:

I think what he is getting at is the German broke one of the golden rules to safely living in the Philippines. That’s rule number 2 to be exact. Thou shall not do/own/run business in the Philippines.

If your wondering what the first and third golden rules are. Thou shall not have anything to do with drugs and thirdly, thou shall not have any political views or advocate while living in the Philippines.

For anyone wanting to live here and start a business, please disavow this. These are broadstoke rules that are simply not true. Sure, my first business here (real estate office) failed after 2 years. Now own a small hotel here. To own a business here...this is my advice: Go there. Check it all out. Get a feel for the community. Remember, you are a guest into that community. It not matter how smart, how much business background you have, how much money you have here--you are a guest. If you decide to do that business, spend a few months--at least--to go around to the leaders and locals of that community. Learn some of their basic language (goes a long way!!).  Respect, respect, respect.

Yes, people here get very jealous. But, there are eyes everywhere. Form enough respect in that community and people know that there are too many "good eyes" out there for any bad to happen. I used to walk around Portland, Oregon in much greater fear from random violence, then any violence here, in my new community, that I took time to show and cultivate a great respect and thanks for them accepting me.

• Like 6

savarity

I used to walk around Portland, Oregon in much greater fear from random violence, then any violence here

That's true. Where I was in the US, I never went out unarmed. Here, I don't have to worry as much.

Midnight now, walked out from my condo to eat at a fast food place, and not really worried about violent crime.
  • Like 1

Cebuandrew
6 minutes ago, savarity said:

That's true. Where I was in the US, I never went out unarmed. Here, I don't have to worry as much.

Midnight now, walked out from my condo to eat at a fast food place, and not really worried about violent crime.

And that is because, I'm guessing, you walking that as not an asshole, but as a respectul person? Isn't that true everywhere? Don't be a dick...lol. Dat's da problem wit dis thread. No mean to disrespect or guess why da guy was shot. But da responses and conjecture...armchair quarertbacks. 

RogerDuMond
7 hours ago, JonnyBravo said:

All I’m saying is there are things that make you a target. Owning a business is one of them.

Owning a business does not make you a target, but a cocky or belligerent attitude does just as much as making disparaging comments about Filipinos will make you a target.

7 hours ago, JonnyBravo said:

Filipinos are very jealous and hard to tell when they speak the truth (strangers). You must’ve heard that over done joke by now. How do you know when a Filipino is lying? His lips are moving.

No I have never heard that disrespectful statement, and I think your making the disgusting comments says more about you than it does Filipinos.

• Like 6

Cebuandrew
9 minutes ago, RogerDuMond said:

Owning a business does not make you a target, but a cocky or belligerent attitude does just as much as making disparaging comments about Filipinos will make you a target.

No I have never heard that disrespectful statement, and I think your making the disgusting comments says more about you than it does Filipinos.

Yup, said in different words, but same message. Do not come here, thinking your square peg will go into round holes. Thinking you know how concrete is mixed, for example. How many times, have I listened to a new new foreigner, over a cold beer, telling me how he will "change it all." Heard it 100 times. I cringe every time.

shadow

I spoke to several people today who know Martin well. They all have nothing but good things to say about him, a nice guy, mild mannered, kind, and calm were some words that were used to describe him. It didn't sound to me like a guy who goes around pissing people off regularly. 

• Like 5