Sign in to follow this  
TheMatrix

Incoming Customs Inspections at New Int'l Terminal

TheMatrix

So I flew in with the family a month ago carrying 16 pieces of luggage and noticed they're pre-inspecting the bags via x-ray before they hit the carousel.  If they see anything that customs might be interested in, they put a large white "X" on all six sides of your luggage with chalk.  I didn't appreciate them marking up my luggage making them look like some rummage bizarre sale with all these large white marks.  Little regard for personal property imo.  While not certain why the "X's" were there or who put them there, we loaded four carts and headed for the exit.  Luckily, then poly-carbonate bags weren't markable with their chalk.  Stopped by customs, they wanted to X-ray the marked bags.  They found a bunch of new things.  We're furnishing two homes here, so we maximize every trip with goods.  When they saw the new things, they turned to my wife and asked her things like returning filipino, balikbayan, how long has it been since your last visit, inspected her passport, wife talked, and then they seem to very reluctantly let us pass.  Walked out with a smile fully expecting to pay some tariffs for the new goods which was the bulk of our luggage.  I understand they want you to buy your goods in the Philippines, but when it is allowed for a returning filipino to bring goods into the country, meaning for personal use, non-commercial goods?  Every 3 months, every 2 years?  I don't know, but it seemed to be a timed thing?  We are arriving again in a few days, bags packed, strategically using poly-carbonate bags.  At what point must we pay taxes for these incoming goods that will always be for personal use?

rfm010

No idea as to the timing other than you pay when they say you do, but as for the chalk marks: 

Are you sure they were put there by philippine customs?  Ive had chalk Xs put on my bags by tsa to indicate needs closer inspection.  In case it is by phil customs, a wet washcloth in a baggy in your carryon is useful for lots things including a discrete washdown of your luggage.

SkyMan
5 hours ago, TheMatrix said:

when it is allowed for a returning filipino to bring goods into the country, meaning for personal use, non-commercial goods?  Every 3 months, every 2 years?  I don't know, but it seemed to be a timed thing? 

They'll give you the BB visa with no minimum time out of the country but to get the full BB benefit she has to be out for a year.  But that applies to a duty free household goods shipment or a vehicle.  I don't think baggage applies so there should be no problem unless they think you're running a business.  Wouldn't it be easier to send most of that stuff in BBBoxes to your new place rather than lugging all that expensive luggage? 

• Like 5

Rwtom

According to the PH embassy in Norway(probably also found elsewhere, but was first google hit)

https://www.philembassy.no/travel-info/bureau-of-customs-passenger-guidelines

Philippine Duty-Free Shopping

Regular Filipino travellers and foreign individual travellers are entitled to a tax-exempt maximum purchase of US$ 1,000. Purchase must be made within 48 hours upon arrival. The purchase of electronics and appliances shall be subject to customs duties and taxes.

Balikbayan and OFWs are entitled to a tax-exempt maximum purchase of US$ 2,500 inclusive of the purchase of electronics and appliances limited to 1 unit per product category. They are entitled also to an additional tax-exempt purchase of US$ 2,000 for kabuhayan/livelihood tools and equipment. Purchase must be made within 15 days upon arrival ro 30 days during Christmas season (December 15 to January 15)/ Departing passengers with confirmed bookings are entitled to tax and duty exempt purchase. Purchase must be made on the day of departure.

TheMatrix

Thanks for that.  Now I know it's out the country for one year for balikbayan. 

Skyman, not paying for extra luggage.  Just using the full allowance for four passengers, 2x23kg plus 15kg carry on and 7kg personal item.  16 pieces total.  Making the best usage for 272kg... for zero charge so far.

SkyMan
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, TheMatrix said:

Thanks for that.  Now I know it's out the country for one year for balikbayan. 

Skyman, not paying for extra luggage.  Just using the full allowance for four passengers, 2x23kg plus 15kg carry on and 7kg personal item.  16 pieces total.  Making the best usage for 272kg... for zero charge so far.

I wasn't really talking about paying for excess baggage.  Just the thought of you traveling with 16 bags and 2 kids.  I know you can pay porters and get van taxis rather than regular cars but wouldn't life be a little easier sending a few BBBoxes a month or 2 before you leave?  Should be pretty cheaper from the left coast.

Edited by SkyMan

TheMatrix

Yes, it'll be less expensive, but I'm in mid Oregon, and the balikbayan service is 5+ hours away in Seattle.  Not sure if there's one yet in Portland, still two hours each way.  Don't mind struggling with the 16 bags for a few hours to save a thousand in BB box service.  

• Like 3

shadow
8 minutes ago, TheMatrix said:

Yes, it'll be less expensive, but I'm in mid Oregon, and the balikbayan service is 5+ hours away in Seattle.  Not sure if there's one yet in Portland, still two hours each way.  Don't mind struggling with the 16 bags for a few hours to save a thousand in BB box service.  

hi Steve. LBC does balikbayan boxes, they have an office in Salem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

DeedleNuts
3 hours ago, Rwtom said:

additional tax-exempt purchase of US$ 2,000 for kabuhayan/livelihood tools and equipment.

I assume they would give the stink-eye to a software developer coming in with computing equipment under this provision?

RogerDuMond
7 hours ago, TheMatrix said:

I have found a new Balikbayan service in the US, but haven't tried it yet. You can order from any store in any country and have it shipped to a unique U.S. address that they give you. There is no membership fee and they will hold items up to 180 days at no charge until you are ready for them to pack and ship the box. The way it works, is that you buy the box, they supply you with your address with them, you order what you want from wherever you want, they will ship it when you want at no weight limit. Their prices are higher than if you do a bb by yourself, but not exorbitant. For a large box (18X18X24) they charge $135 to the Visayas. This is less than an extra suitcase will cost and about the same dimensions.  http://www.filoutlet.com/

11 hours ago, SkyMan said:

I don't think baggage applies so there should be no problem unless they think you're running a business. 

The business above says that you can ship up to 10 of the same item, any more and customs considers it as a commercial quantity.

• Thanks 2

SkyMan
15 minutes ago, RogerDuMond said:

This is less than an extra suitcase will cost and about the same dimensions. 

He's not extra baggage though, just maxing out his allowance.

16 minutes ago, RogerDuMond said:

For a large box (18X18X24) they charge $135 to the Visayas.

I like shipping cart better.  True, you only have 30 days vice 180, but you don't have to fill a whole box.  They charge by volume for sea cargo and also by weight for air.  Cost for 18X18X24 is $92.  They do enforce restrictions on shipments though like mobile phones and auto/motorcycle parts.

RogerDuMond
2 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

He's not extra baggage though, just maxing out his allowance.

Sixteen bags seems like extra bags, or a large family.

SkyMan
6 minutes ago, RogerDuMond said:

Sixteen bags seems like extra bags, or a large family.

10 hours ago, TheMatrix said:

2 kids.

• Like 1

Salty Dog
10 hours ago, TheMatrix said:

... Just using the full allowance for four passengers, 2x23kg plus 15kg carry on and 7kg personal item.  16 pieces total.  Making the best usage for 272kg... for zero charge so far...

Hell! Why not just fly first class and you could make it 24 pieces, an even half ton...:P

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

jtmwatchbiz

steve i don't really care about your ho-hum topic of how you get your silly stuff here but i will pretend i do...

"Oh steve good luck in bringing in your goods".

now...when are you going to swing by and take me out for coffee or pizza?  it's been like a freakin year.