Sign in to follow this  
jimmyzr1

Best TV and internet services in the Cebu area?

jimmyzr1
9 hours ago, TimL said:

I have both PLDT fiber and Sky. Sky has definitely gone downhill lately. It used to be pretty solid but not so much any more.

I use my DirecTv subscription from home to watch all of the shows that I normally watched in the US. Just make sure that you have a VPN active. Most all channels have a web site and a lot of smart tv’s can get cbs, nbc, hallmark, Fox etc. apps and can also get and use vpn apps. 

I have Netflix and Kodi for movies/shows that I can’t find on the above. 

All in all, it’s a bit more of a hassle then simply turning on the tv and DirecTv receiver but, still very doable to watch things that you like. 

Is there a way for me to subscribe to DirecTv from over here? I don’t have a VPN, and don’t know much about them, as far as being secure? How much do they cost? And how safe are they with banking? Also, are the free versions worth trying? Or is it better for the pay versions?

jimmyzr1

Also, if anyone would like to talk on the phone about these issues and others please pm me. I also am in need of getting a Driver’s License and trying to buy a used car. The only problem could be I’m on a tourists visa as of now. Thanks 

GBT62
22 hours ago, Jim_in_Jax said:

We live in Labangon area of Cebu City and we have been using Sky for 3 years now.  We have the gold cable package along with 50mbs internet.  The cable service has been fairly reliable without too many outages and only occasional pixelation.  The internet used to be pretty reliable but in the last 6 months it has become less and less so.  I have days now where it is on and off all day long.  Other issues we now have is that it will drop to 1-2mbs for hours at a time making it totally useless.  When I contact them about it and tell them I'm shopping for another provider, it miraculously goes back up to the speed I'm paying for, for a few days.  I have to put up with them for now but in a few months, I'm going to be looking for something else if this doesn't stabilize.

One of my wife's relatives who lives in Talisay has PLDT 20 or 25mbs (forgot which he said) fiber with their cable service and says the internet is very steady and reliable but the cable signal is total crap and they have constant problems with pixelation so frequent that they don't watch much tv anymore.

I am not sure which company to switch to because it seems no one has good reliable service that regularly achieves the internet speeds they sell you. 

Your options to move to another provider in Labangon might be limited - depending on how close you are to a "box".

I just moved here to a new subdivision a few weeks back and have just been through the process.

PLDT were my preferred option but could only manage a DSL connection - and they were quoting it at only 5 mbps because of the distance from the closest box.

We had to go with Globe - which turned out to be a 2 week nightmare - but it now at 20 mbps via vDSL.   If ever a Globe agent offers you an "express install" - do not take it. There's nothing express about 2 weeks of cable box port fights between Globe installers because the express team didn't do and document their install correctly. That took close to 2 weeks of calls to the call centre supervisors (and sitting at home from 9am-6pm for 4 days waiting for a tech to come onsite) to sort out while we were reduced to cell phone data plans.

If there was a viable alternative here in Labangon we'd have dropped Globe within the first week of excuses.

When is this new carrier meant to be starting up ?  The sooner the better....

PeteHK
10 hours ago, jimmyzr1 said:

Yes, I was thinking of getting the Sky cable tv service and the Pldt fiber internet. The only problem being, when I went in to PLDT they said they haven’t received the Google WiFi packages here in Cebu yet. They said they were only available in Manila. It looks like you live in Cebu though, so maybe they are lying to me.

Our Google wifi packages were delivered by DHL I think. My wife says she got a call saying there was a delivery coming and when we got home there they were. I suggest if you want any PLDT service arranged or you have any queries head to SM Seaside, Tech Zone, 3rd floor as the PLDT branch there is usually very quiet, especially during the weekdays in the morning, and the staff are friendly and helpful. We are in Banawa, close to Labangon so it's just a 10-15 minute drive for us to Seaside.

TimL
18 hours ago, jimmyzr1 said:

Is there a way for me to subscribe to DirecTv from over here? I don’t have a VPN, and don’t know much about them, as far as being secure? How much do they cost? And how safe are they with banking? Also, are the free versions worth trying? Or is it better for the pay versions?

I actually still have service back in the US. You might look at https://www.directvnow.com/

Again, a VPN is going to be mandatory for US content providers. As far as being secure, yes, provided you get a reputable one. All traffic to and from on a VPN is encrypted. I would highly recommend especially if using public wi-fi or accessing your bank accounts etc.  While free VPN may be just fine, I would never use one as there is no incentive to keep your stuff private. Also some maintain server logs while others don’t. If there’s a log of what you’re doing, it’s not very private. 

Woolf

Internet access to banks, I am sure it is HTTP

S means secure  =  end to end encryption

Jim_in_Jax

As for Sky Broadband service in Cebu (Labangon specifically) this is the 50mbps...oops 1mbps I get that I pay PHP 2900 a month for.  My personal recommendation would be avoid them if you can for internet.

image.png.ee90de4116085cb57c3335a204afb9d9.png

Woolf
3 minutes ago, Jim_in_Jax said:

As for Sky Broadband service in Cebu (Labangon specifically) this is the 50mbps...oops 1mbps I get that I pay PHP 2900 a month for.  My personal recommendation would be avoid them if you can for internet.

image.png.ee90de4116085cb57c3335a204afb9d9.png

Sky cable broadband works fine for me in Talisay City

16Mb

jimmyzr1
Posted (edited)

Does anyone know if I would need multiple cable boxes (for multiple TVs) to rent from Sky Cable? Also, can one get a DVR here as well? Thanks 

Edited by jimmyzr1

Woolf
2 hours ago, jimmyzr1 said:

Does anyone know if I would need multiple cable boxes (for multiple TVs) to rent from Sky Cable? Also, can one get a DVR here as well? Thanks 

Pretty sure that if you want to see 2 different channels you will need 2 boxes

anyway do you know if you can get sky cable where you live ??

https://www.mysky.com.ph/onesky#premiumplans

jimmyzr1
6 hours ago, Woolf said:

Pretty sure that if you want to see 2 different channels you will need 2 boxes

anyway do you know if you can get sky cable where you live ??

https://www.mysky.com.ph/onesky#premiumplans

Yes, they said it was available in Talamban.

Jim_in_Jax

Yes you can "rent" as many boxes you need from Sky.  I have 2 for 2 different tv's and one is a DVR/On Demand/Netflix box.  They just charge extra for each additional box over 1 you need.

jimmyzr1
Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, Jim_in_Jax said:

Yes you can "rent" as many boxes you need from Sky.  I have 2 for 2 different tv's and one is a DVR/On Demand/Netflix box.  They just charge extra for each additional box over 1 you need.

Thanks

Edited by jimmyzr1