Sign in to follow this  
jimmyzr1

Best TV and internet services in the Cebu area?

jimmyzr1

Hello, I’m trying to get the best TV and internet services I can get in the Cebu area. For Tv, I want to watch mainly US channels, as I’ve found most of the Filipino channels suck from what I’ve seen. Also, from what I've seen, Sky Cable seems pretty good, but always plays lots of reruns as far as movies are concerned. Also, I would like to watch US sports as well. 

As far as internet, I would like to find a fast, reliable internet package. We will be living in the Talamban area in a subdivision.

bert

ha ha ha ha to wish is a fallacy good luck

• Haha 1

lamoe
24 minutes ago, jimmyzr1 said:

Hello, I’m trying to get the best TV and internet services I can get in the Cebu area. For Tv, I want to watch mainly US channels, as I’ve found most of the Filipino channels suck from what I’ve seen. Also, from what I've seen, Sky Cable seems pretty good, but always plays lots of reruns as far as movies are concerned. Also, I would like to watch US sports as well. 

As far as internet, I would like to find a fast, reliable internet package. We will be living in the Talamban area in a subdivision.

Internet

Take your chances and don't sign a yearly contract - cost more but can get out at any time

Have used Smart now Globe (been 4 weeks of crappy service - before and after cable cuts) moving onto PLDT next

Fast in the city is not that big a deal - reliable is the problem - and that can depend on where (how old is the unmaintained equipment)

My Globe is rated at 15 Mbs - typically get 12 /13 - depends on day of week and time of day - 13.7  at 5:30  this morning  / 6.8 now - still within stated minimums -  they get you with the 80% reliability - that doesn't mean can be up 5 hours sporadic in any given day outage - it means can be 6 days in a row or more if concurrent -  25 good - then 12 no service or less than 30% service per day for 3 to 4 weeks

• Like 1

cookie47

Well I can only tell you what we've got and are happy with,, but have no idea of what is available at your location. We are in Consolacion... 

We have PLDT Fibr @25mbps There is 50 but have found 25 quite OK. P2200 per month which includes cignal and Voip land-line... Don't remember how many channels for that but many are not used except Australian news channel and GMA for the wife,, haha, I have an Android Smart TV which covers everything I want. No lag, no pixleation. I have loaded "live net TV" which covers ALL of my Australian requirements and have noted it also has Canadian TV options (but no US), But others on the forum will help with US TV. But as I said at the beginning I'm very happy with PLDT with only one 24 hr outage in 10 months for "apparently" an upgrade.. 

• Like 2

liquido
3 hours ago, jimmyzr1 said:

as I’ve found most of the Filipino channels suck from what I’ve seen. 

Believe me,its not most its ALL ....I agree with cookie47 with getting Fiber..Here in Davao its dependable and fast and no cap.

• Like 2

Dafey

We had PLDT fiber optic when we lived there. Never had a complaint and we were guaranteed 50mb a second but came close to 100 most days. 

We had internet with wifi, cable with over a hundred channels and a phone...If I remember correctly it was about 3000 pesos a month with no caps.

• Like 2

cookie47
We had PLDT fiber optic when we lived there. Never had a complaint and we were guaranteed 50mb a second but came close to 100 most days. 
We had internet with wifi, cable with over a hundred channels and a phone...If I remember correctly it was about 3000 pesos a month with no caps.
Yes,, we went for the lowest cignal plan (as long it had GMA for the Mrs) as all my needs are covered with unlimited Wifi/ Internet.

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

jimmyzr1
On 5/18/2019 at 7:40 PM, Dafey said:

Do you remember who your cable tv was through? Thanks 

Jim_in_Jax

We live in Labangon area of Cebu City and we have been using Sky for 3 years now.  We have the gold cable package along with 50mbs internet.  The cable service has been fairly reliable without too many outages and only occasional pixelation.  The internet used to be pretty reliable but in the last 6 months it has become less and less so.  I have days now where it is on and off all day long.  Other issues we now have is that it will drop to 1-2mbs for hours at a time making it totally useless.  When I contact them about it and tell them I'm shopping for another provider, it miraculously goes back up to the speed I'm paying for, for a few days.  I have to put up with them for now but in a few months, I'm going to be looking for something else if this doesn't stabilize.

One of my wife's relatives who lives in Talisay has PLDT 20 or 25mbs (forgot which he said) fiber with their cable service and says the internet is very steady and reliable but the cable signal is total crap and they have constant problems with pixelation so frequent that they don't watch much tv anymore.

I am not sure which company to switch to because it seems no one has good reliable service that regularly achieves the internet speeds they sell you. 

TimL

I have both PLDT fiber and Sky. Sky has definitely gone downhill lately. It used to be pretty solid but not so much any more.

I use my DirecTv subscription from home to watch all of the shows that I normally watched in the US. Just make sure that you have a VPN active. Most all channels have a web site and a lot of smart tv’s can get cbs, nbc, hallmark, Fox etc. apps and can also get and use vpn apps. 

I have Netflix and Kodi for movies/shows that I can’t find on the above. 

All in all, it’s a bit more of a hassle then simply turning on the tv and DirecTv receiver but, still very doable to watch things that you like. 

Dafey
17 hours ago, jimmyzr1 said:

Do you remember who your cable tv was through? Thanks 

PLDT who contracted Cignal, back then

PeteHK

We just installed the PLDT Google Wifi Fibr system which was an upgrade from our existing PLDT Fibr connection.  Certainly impressed with the improvement of the connectivity around the house, especially upstairs.  Our house is not big but there has always been weak connection in some of the upstairs rooms and it's been difficult to watch Netflix upstairs.  Even downstairs there was often a lot of buffering on Netflix and on YouTube.

Our connection is the 120 Mbps option.  The three Google wifi points include a kind of base station that connects to the router and two other repeater stations that can be plugged in anywhere.  I use Ookla Speedtest connecting to a server in Hong Kong to test the connection and we now get speeds around 100 downloading and even higher for upload for much of the time.  However, there always seems to be a period in the morning from around 08.30-9.30 when the speed drops significantly and again in the evening around 18.00-19.00.

Anyway, we are pretty happy with the result.  We have Skycable also and this seems to work fine for us and has been pretty reliable.

• Like 1

Woolf

I guess it is like this one

Google Wifi Mesh system

1 node, AC1200, Dual-Band, 2 ports

image.thumb.png.f563841592db11dc60293132200cbb4d.png

PeteHK
2 hours ago, Woolf said:

I guess it is like this one

Google Wifi Mesh system

1 node, AC1200, Dual-Band, 2 ports

image.thumb.png.f563841592db11dc60293132200cbb4d.png

Yes, that's it

• Thanks 1

jimmyzr1
4 hours ago, PeteHK said:

We just installed the PLDT Google Wifi Fibr system which was an upgrade from our existing PLDT Fibr connection.  Certainly impressed with the improvement of the connectivity around the house, especially upstairs.  Our house is not big but there has always been weak connection in some of the upstairs rooms and it's been difficult to watch Netflix upstairs.  Even downstairs there was often a lot of buffering on Netflix and on YouTube.

Our connection is the 120 Mbps option.  The three Google wifi points include a kind of base station that connects to the router and two other repeater stations that can be plugged in anywhere.  I use Ookla Speedtest connecting to a server in Hong Kong to test the connection and we now get speeds around 100 downloading and even higher for upload for much of the time.  However, there always seems to be a period in the morning from around 08.30-9.30 when the speed drops significantly and again in the evening around 18.00-19.00.

Anyway, we are pretty happy with the result.  We have Skycable also and this seems to work fine for us and has been pretty reliable.

Yes, I was thinking of getting the Sky cable tv service and the Pldt fiber internet. The only problem being, when I went in to PLDT they said they haven’t received the Google WiFi packages here in Cebu yet. They said they were only available in Manila. It looks like you live in Cebu though, so maybe they are lying to me.