Sign in to follow this  
liquido

Marriage Question

liquido

I have a buddy in the USA and when he visited here in the RP he met the love of his life..After about 4 years he decided its time to get married..He is in his 60's and she in her young 30's.He has been divorced for almost 25 years married 4 years with no children.When he got divorced it was so amicable that they used the same lawyer..He has no idea were the divorced was processed and of course does not have any paperwork showing his divorce and no way to contact his ex..He wants to get married here by a judge so that should be no problem..He then wants to go through the process at the embassy in manila of having her come back to the states NOT saying he was previously married...Like I said he has no way of proving his divorce..I told him to maybe consider a fiance visa were it be easier to get her to the states were he could get married there..What do you think?

• Like 1

shadow
9 minutes ago, liquido said:

I have a buddy in the USA and when he visited here in the RP he met the love of his life..After about 4 years he decided its time to get married..He is in his 60's and she in her young 30's.He has been divorced for almost 25 years married 4 years with no children.When he got divorced it was so amicable that they used the same lawyer..He has no idea were the divorced was processed and of course does not have any paperwork showing his divorce and no way to contact his ex..He wants to get married here by a judge so that should be no problem..He then wants to go through the process at the embassy in manila of having her come back to the states NOT saying he was previously married...Like I said he has no way of proving his divorce..I told him to maybe consider a fiance visa were it be easier to get her to the states were he could get married there..What do you think?

Years ago we had quite a few clients that omitted listing some marriages on the paperwork, and got away with it. In the last 10 years, after the IMBRA law, to the best of my knowledge, they have caught every one who has tried it. They even caught one recently who had submitted a fake divorce decree. The penalty for submitting false information is a 10 year ban on both of them, but I have never seen them do that yet. However, it does add months to the immigration process. They have really tightened up on investigating the petitioners.

It makes no difference whether it is a Fiance or Spousal visa, both require divorce/death decrees for all past marriages. If anything, they are more thorough in investigating Fiance visas these days.

A funny statistic, many guys have told us they want to leave some marriages off the paperwork because "they can't get those divorce decrees". However, when USCIS catches them, they miraculously produce them in two or three weeks.

If he wants her to immigrate, he best be miraculously remembering where this divorce took place.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Rwtom

I agree with @shadow , there are ways to research and get a copy of the decree. He should know what cities he’s lived in. That’s a starting point. Most court records in the us are available online now. If he can’t find it himself he can hire someone who can 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

RogerDuMond
6 hours ago, liquido said:

e has no idea were the divorced was processed and of course does not have any paperwork showing his divorce

Google is your friend.

Online Divorce Records Search

There are a number of websites you can use to search for divorce records. These sites do all the legwork for you, so you do not have to contact state agencies directly. Searches are generally free, but you cannot view the results without paying a fee. The more information you have, the more accurate the search results.

Court Records Finder

You can search for divorce records on this site with the individual's first and last name, as well the state where they live (or lived). If you don't know the state, the site will conduct a nationwide search. The website then provides a list of names that match, or are similar to, the name you searched for. It also provides a list of cities the individual has lived in, and possible relatives, which can help narrow down the list, if the search provides numerous potential matches. You can purchase the full report for $2.95.

Government Registry

Government Registry searches billions of records, from marriage and death certificates to criminal arrest records. To search for a divorce record, you need only provide the individual's first and last name to conduct the search - approximate age, city and state are optional (the default search is nationwide), although the more information you have, the better the results. Then, the site will provide you with a list of possible matches. Once you identify the best match, you may purchase the full report for $19.95, or purchase a five-day trial for $2.95.

https://divorce.lovetoknow.com/Free_Divorce_Records

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SkyMan
12 hours ago, liquido said:

He has been divorced for almost 25 years

12 hours ago, liquido said:

He has no idea were the divorced was processed

Alzheimer's?  Where did he live 25 years ago?

liquido
15 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

Alzheimer's?  Where did he live 25 years ago?

Im surprised that I remember where I was living 25 years back..Santa Fe New Mexico...My bud was living in Chicago but he doesnt think the ex got the decree in Chicago Cook County..He said she did all the leg work...I will pass on the above websites Mr. DuMond posted...

SkyMan
4 minutes ago, liquido said:

Im surprised that I remember where I was living 25 years back..Santa Fe New Mexico...My bud was living in Chicago but he doesnt think the ex got the decree in Chicago Cook County..He said she did all the leg work...I will pass on the above websites Mr. DuMond posted...

I'd check Cook County first and whatever county she lived in at the time.