CardiacKid

Shooting in Talisay One American Dead

CardiacKid

My wife told me this morning that there had been a shooting in Talisay that left three dead. Two were Filipino, the Barangay captain and the guy accompanying him. The American was  supposed to be the live in boyfriend of the deceased Barangay captains mother. Reportedly there was a disagreement about the division of the mother's assets between the son and the American live in boyfriend. The two Filipinos went to talk with him and he opened fire with an AK-47 killing them both. The police were called and they responded with a SWAT team. The American, a reportedly ex-USMC was subsequently killed. Should make the news there as a cameraman was on scene. This happened in Barangay Bliss in Talisay. That's all I know. 

• Like 3

Woolf
Davaoeno
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, musicman666 said:

It might be worth mentioning that the marine was an American Filipino.

Well they do say once USMC always USMC

Edited by Davaoeno
  • Thanks 1

Paddy
6 hours ago, musicman666 said:

It might be worth mentioning that the marine was an American Filipino.

Thank you for that. I was shaking my head after the first post wondering why an American boyfriend would have any claim against his Filipina girlfriend’s estate. 

I am still wondering though why anyone would take an AK-47 to a “discussion”....

lamoe

1 hour ago, Davaoeno said:

Well they do say once USMC always USMC

You're right - combining USMC training with Filipino 'face'  might not be a very good idea? 

None of the articles I read online mentioned he was of Filipino heritage but did repeat US-Marine many times.

"Ex-US Marine dies in police shootout after running amok and killing two"

Reminds me of the 70's sensational headlines regarding Viet Vets

• Like 1

jtmwatchbiz
5 minutes ago, lamoe said:

"Ex-US Marine dies in police shootout after running amok and killing two"

Reminds me of the 70's sensational headlines regarding Viet Vets

well somehow his past history was fairly well known since it made the news.  could be the fella had an unrealistic sense of identity and made sure everyone in the barangay around him knew he was once a marine?  sort of like others that consider their brief military stint as their defining characteristic?    

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Davaoeno

Doesnt everyone have an AK-47 in their house?? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

lamoe
5 minutes ago, jtmwatchbiz said:

sort of like others that consider their brief military stint as their defining characteristic?    

Yes some do - sort of like college graduates who think having attended makes then better than those who didn't.

Both are wrong

Each should just be an ethos to build on - training / experiences always available to draw on when need

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

jtmwatchbiz
10 minutes ago, lamoe said:

Each should just be an ethos to build on - training / experiences always available to draw on when need

with a bit of touching up this would be perfect for a fortune cookie!

anyways...the talisay shooting was indeed a tragedy and seems more likely it was caused by mental disorder than by anyone's past military or educational history. 

• Like 4

smokey

Its said the marine is from bohol 

SkyMan
2 hours ago, lamoe said:

None of the articles I read online mentioned he was of Filipino heritage

We don't want to cloud the chance at some American bashing.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Davaoeno
1 minute ago, SkyMan said:

We don't want to cloud the chance at some American bashing.

I dont think the Philippines has a USMC !! 

SkyMan
9 minutes ago, Davaoeno said:

I dont think the Philippines has a USMC !! 

image.png.dde4a5454fe681516ff2f0abd637d919.png

But what is it?

• Haha 1

Semper paratus
Posted (edited)

This article says twice that he was U.S. Navy. 

A whole lot seems to get lost in translation and jumping the gun on a news story before having even the basic facts.

So was he Navy or Marines ? Or both ? Or neither ?

Cebu - A retired US Marine soldier, was killed in a firefight with the Talisay City police after he shot his stepson and the Lawaan III Barangay captain. - 
US Navy Dean Torrefranca had a land dispute with Jed Ybañez (30), the son of his deceased wife Delia Ybañez Torrefranca, from their previous marriage. The land dispute started when Delia died over a month ago and Jed claimed the house and the two cars. 
At 9 o'clock, Jed and his uncle Bobby Omaña tried to get rid of a former police officer to clear their argument with Torrefranca in front of the Barangay captain, but they could not agree. Omaña says the house of Delia and the two cars had been bought during his first marriage with Jed to his father, which is why Jed claimed the possessions. Around 11 am, Jed and Bobby, along with Lawaan III Barangay captain Jimmy Bartilic (59) and a Barangay Tanod, came to Torrefranca's house to reschedule the dispute. 
Torrefranca received them with an AK-47 assault rifle and a .45 pistol and wore a bullet-proof vest. Jed and Bartilic fled and were shot dead by Torrefranca, Omaña and the Barangay-Tanod were able to flee in the opposite direction. 
Torrefranca then went to the second floor of his house when the police arrived. There was a shootout and Torrefranca set fire to his house. After that, there were sporadic shots within the next hour. When the fire stopped, the police found the burned corpse of the US Navy. 
The Deputy Chief of Talisay City Police Police Police Major Ardioleto Cabagnot says that Torrefranca was killed in the shootout by his policemen while the Police Regional Office - Central Visayas (PRO-7) Chief Police Brigadier General Debold Sinas said that Torrefranca suffocated in his house after he had lit it.

Edited by Semper paratus
A small opps
  • Like 1