jimmyzr1

Advice on buying a used car in Cebu

jimmyzr1

Hello, I’m looking for advice on buying a used car in Cebu. Is it best dealing with a private party? How to get it checked out? Buying a diesel vs. gas, etc. Also, I’m not settled on a price yet, but not thinking new. Any advice would be appreciated.

lamoe
24 minutes ago, jimmyzr1 said:

Hello, I’m looking for advice on buying a used car in Cebu. Is it best dealing with a private party? How to get it checked out? Buying a diesel vs. gas, etc. Also, I’m not settled on a price yet, but not thinking new. Any advice would be appreciated.

1st - find a mechanic you can trust :rolleyes: - too bad not in Cebu City - mime has done work for free :shocked:

Ask trike, jeepney, drivers who they use, also have wife , GF, speak to them and him not you - to check out car

TheMatrix

I've bought a couple used cars and another one just last month.  One thing I recommend is getting a service to do the complete registration process.  It took me nearly two days running around to probably 8-9 different places and it still wasn't complete.  We had used Talisay and Toledo offices to speed things up and when we thought all was finally finished, there was another hiccup.  Our helper wrote this to me just yesterday when I asked if it's all complete:

"I thought that was the last task that we made then when I went to the LTO Office they said I am missing the PNP Traffic Clearance, I went back to Cebu to process the permit, waited for 3 days and went back to pick it up. Then back to LTO to get a new Certificate of Registration under your name. That is why Liaison officers charges 12-15k to process this."

As far with buying from private versus dealer.  I feel a better haggle can be done privately, so I personally deal with the person that has been driving the vehicle for the last year.  

• Like 1

jimmyzr1
13 hours ago, lamoe said:

1st - find a mechanic you can trust :rolleyes: - too bad not in Cebu City - mime has done work for free :shocked:

Ask trike, jeepney, drivers who they use, also have wife , GF, speak to them and him not you - to check out car

Good advice, but girlfriend only speaks Tagalog and English, no Visaya or cebuana, so it’s hard for her to communicate with Filipinos in Cebu.

Salty Dog
2 hours ago, jimmyzr1 said:

Good advice, but girlfriend only speaks Tagalog and English, no Bisaya or cebuano, so it’s hard for her to communicate with Filipinos in Cebu.

Same here except my wife also speaks Bicolano. We lived in Cebu City for several years and she never had a problem communicating with anyone there...

Davaoeno

I have bought 5 cars in Cebu 1 in Iloilo and 2 in Manila. By myself without wife's involvement . I've never had an insurmountable problem . Fred buys watches every day and always speaks English.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

liquido

Never purchased a car but im told to buy from a foreigner if all possible because there is a better chance that the vehicle has been properly maintained..

• Like 2

Goetz1965
Posted (edited)

Its always best to bring a car mechanic - I can recommend you a good one who works near SM City.

Better get a Diesel, as traffic is worst and if you stand 4 minutes at a red light you will sure be happy that you waste cheaper diesel.

Edited by Goetz1965

smokey

I would buy a truck the roads kill front suspension and trucks handle floods better i have a 2015 Mitsubishi runs great has all the goodies so far only 23.000 kilometer on unit picked this truck for its car like ride paid 1 180.000 plus added some extras 

• Thanks 1

jimmyzr1

Thank you guys. Originally I was thinking of just buying a Toyota Vios and calling it a day, but now am thinking about buying a used diesel of some kind, in case of flooding, also as stated heavier suspension. I hoping I’m lucky in picking one without problems. Probably will be looking to find one within 1-3 months.

smokey

Ian is the car guy. If your going used small suv or truck i would look for

• Thanks 1

hyaku

Spent two days travelling around looking back in 2006. Most of the time I ended up in Mandaue. Went to a Maguikay Auto down there and picked "a runner". Nothing fancy. I chose a Corolla because I knew I could easily get parts for it.

Sold it to a friend some years ago and it's 'still' running fine. 

My word of warning would also that many sell here because there is something wrong with it and it's got to the stage that it needs a lot of money spent.  If it runs fine they wont sell it.

I now drive a Vios VVTi and am well pleased with it. A bank repo that has had very little use.