lamoe

Plantar Fasciitis (heel pain)

lamoe

Recently started experiencing this - left foot - thought it was  new shoes  - maybe not - tearing  it several years ago  finally catching up :oldtimer:

Semper paratus

He's over complicating it I think.

I had that problem really bad about 15 years ago. First I quit wearing cowboy boots, even though I was born with them on, I was even allowed to wear them in the military as long as they were black and spit polished and not a radical toe, and with a walking heel. I started using DR. Scholls shoe inserts which were made for the problem. Things improved quickly. Then I changed to S.A.S. shoes ( Made in America) and have never had a problem since. I have my SAS shoes here but I don't wear them, I just buy quality shoes, sandals or whatever with proper support. I used to be a horseshoer, and my motto was " no foot no horse" . People aren't any different. Don't skimp on shoes, etc. for your feet, they are all you have. 

mexiwi

I had it fairly bad last year, stopped wearing flip flops and made sure I always wore shoes with arch support. My physio taped it for a few weeks to let it settle and I did stretches, have been doing some calf raises and exercises on tiptoes to strengthen.

Have worn orthotics for a number of years and my podiatrist modified them slightly after developed this.

streak03

I had that in Afghanistan several years ago.  Very painful, tried all kinds of stuff to fix it, inserts, etc.  Finally went to a clinic in Dubai and the doctor did some tests, turns out I had a pretty high level of uric acid.  He seemed to think that gout was aggravating the plantar fasciitis.  I took some over the counter allopurinol , and it just went away.  Don't really know what may have caused it, but four of six guys on the team there with me all had gout in some form, we suspected it was from eating mre's for six months straight and no fresh  vegetables etc.

• Like 3

Soupeod
4 hours ago, streak03 said:

I had that in Afghanistan several years ago.  Very painful, tried all kinds of stuff to fix it, inserts, etc.  Finally went to a clinic in Dubai and the doctor did some tests, turns out I had a pretty high level of uric acid.  He seemed to think that gout was aggravating the plantar fasciitis.  I took some over the counter allopurinol , and it just went away.  Don't really know what may have caused it, but four of six guys on the team there with me all had gout in some form, we suspected it was from eating mre's for six months straight and no fresh  vegetables etc.

Low purine diet, need to get rid of the uric acid.

before that I had the foot issue as well, see a good foot Doc.  I use insoles prescribed by the foot Doc.

streak03

I've found that super feet insoles work very well for me.

lamoe
2 minutes ago, streak03 said:

I've found that super feet insoles work very well for me.

Available here?

throttleplate

maybe need a cortisone shot if its real bad as i did years ago and then soft sole arch supports which you can buy in the ph.

need to stretch your achilles and your calf muscles first and less strengthing of calf as it will just make the muscles tighter and shorter which then pulls on all the muscles going to foot. Stretching  takes time as in weeks maybe months to get relief or maybe not ever. Therapy involves pain so dont wuss out but be smart.

I have had 9 joint surgeries on various parts of my body. The thing that is # 1 is do your therapy, design your own therapy aside from the doctors by doing tons of youtube research. Most expats i know are to lazy to stretch because it takes time and dedication so they hop on the pill train.

I have found back stretches for a muscle called the QL muscle that therapists never told me about that helped me a ton. After 2 back surgeries 25 years ago  i found the ql stretc just 3 months ago from youtube and searching. while the usa doctors just told me to take some muscle relaxers which pissed me off. Also a back and side hip muscle called the IT band helped alot. But you must stretch regularilly, not every day but 3 times a week as to keep muscles stretched which untightens them as we age it only gets worse.

Jack Rat
16 hours ago, Soupeod said:

Low purine diet, need to get rid of the uric acid.

before that I had the foot issue as well, see a good foot Doc.  I use insoles prescribed by the foot Doc.

I have arthritis in my foot (ankle and heel ) due to a sporting injury many years ago. Tomatoes, pineapple, cheese and beef are some of my favourite foods, and I know if I eat them I will suffer the consequences.  I continue to eat them, but in moderation.

mistaeric

I carried mail for the U.S. Postal Service for 34 yrs. I suffered from Plantar the last year and it was part of the reason I retired early. It was like walking with  a pebble in your shoe that you couldn't get rid of!

• Like 1

SkyMan

Most people with PF problems notice with the screaming first step of the day.  This is because overnight the foot relaxes and points downward.  The fascia tightens up into this shortened position.  Then when you get up and put your feet on the floor the fascia is suddenly stretched out and tearing can occur.  I have a boot I can wear overnight that keeps my foot at 90 degrees or even a little more if I want.  It's not the most comfortable to sleep with it on but it works.  One thing that does not work is one of those socks with the toe strap that attaches to your calf.  The foot still relaxes straight so all it does is bend the toes back painfully.  Any boot that keeps your ankle at 90 degrees will work.  Even a running shoe if you devise some way to keep the toe up tied to your calf or something.