lamoe

Smartphone tech shows soldiers where shots are originating

lamoe

Helmet mounted quad receivers, integrated software, with voice and bluetooth link to existing earphones - SHOT - 1/2 sec later - Bluetooth speaks - 270 degrees

Not good for firefight but would help for sniper fire.

https://newatlas.com/smartphone-tcaps-shot-direction/59652/

It's no secret that there are a lot of loud noises on battlefields. That's why soldiers now often wear in-ear earphones that electronically protect their hearing. Determining where enemy shots are coming from, however, can be a challenge with such systems. New smartphone-based technology is designed to help.

Known as Tactical Communication and Protective Systems (TCAPS), conventional earphones typically incorporate tiny microphones both inside and outside each of the wearer's ear canals. These mics allow other soldiers' voices to pass through unfettered, but automatically switch on an electronic filter when they detect loud noises such as the firing of the user's own weapon.

They do somewhat compromise situational awareness, though, as they make it difficult to hear where enemy gunfire is originating. This is vitally important information, as it lets soldiers know not only the direction in which they should return fire, but also where they should take shelter.

That's where an experimental new system developed at the French-German Research Institute of Saint-Louis comes in. It's based around the fact that modern combat weapons produce two waves when they fire – there's an initial supersonic shock wave that propagates in a cone shape out in front of the bullet, closely followed by a muzzle wave which radiates spherically in all directions from the firearm itself.

Utilizing the mics inside the ear canals, the new system is able to measure the time difference between when the two waves arrive at each of the soldier's ears. That data is transmitted by Bluetooth to an app on their smartphone – it utilizes an algorithm to determine the direction of arrival of the waves, and thus the direction in which the shooter is located, which is displayed on the screen.

"If it's a smartphone with a good processor, the computation time to get the complete trajectory is about half a second," says lead scientist Sébastien Hengy.

The technology has so far been field-tested on TCAPS mics placed head-distance apart, with plans calling for it to be tested on an artificial head later this year. It may be rolled out for use by soldiers in 2021.

• Haha 1

Paddy

I wasn’t ever in a position to practice the technique but my Dad did explain the “crack and thump” method to me. 

Now there’s an app for it...

The next time I dig a fire trench I must make sure there’s an outlet for my charger!

lamoe
40 minutes ago, Paddy said:

I wasn’t ever in a position to practice the technique but my Dad did explain the “crack and thump” method to me. 

Now there’s an app for it...

The next time I dig a fire trench I must make sure there’s an outlet for my charger!

'Crack / thump' is a valid method for distance,  unfortunately not for direction.

That takes 2 separate readings of same sound

Consider that  a 4 function $1 calculator has more computing power than the systems used to send a man to the moon and the possibilities for a smartphone is truly staggering.

https://www.zmescience.com/research/technology/smartphone-power-compared-to-apollo-432/

Today, however, even a simple USB stick or WiFi router is more powerful, let alone an iPhone. The iPhone 6 uses an Apple-designed 64 bit Cortex A8 ARM architecture composed of approximately 1.6 billion transistors.  It operates at 1.4 GHZ and can process instructions at a rate of approximately 1.2 instructions every cycle in each of its 2 cores. That’s 3.36 billion instructions per second. Put simply, the iPhone 6’s clock  is 32,600 times faster than the best Apollo era computers and could perform instructions 120,000,000 times faster. You wouldn’t be wrong in saying an iPhone could be used to guide 120,000,000 Apollo era spacecraft to the moon, all at the same time.

Soupeod

:lol: