Sign in to follow this  
Jester

Dried fish in checked baggage

Jester

Lovely young bride has acquired about 30 lbs (15K) of Philippine crap to get back to the US. She expects this to fit in her bag with the 40 lbs (20k) of things she brought with her.

Looking at the shipping forum it may be cheaper to acquire another check in bag than try to ship.   Hmmm, could I use a cardboard as checked luggage with no issue?

So the question is will about 10 kilo of dried fish be ok in a checked bag?   Then there is some miscellaneous canned goods,  and other food stuffs. Should any of that cause a problem?

CardiacKid

We always brought back dried fish with no problems. You can  get a box at National Book Store. Wrap it in plastic and it won't set off any alarms on the xray machine. You can use a cardboard box as checked luggage if it meets the size limits. 

• Like 1

PlanB

Having done this as carry on, all those beady little lifeless eyes for the entire flight, your checked luggage plan is a much better idea.

• Like 1

Rwtom
12 hours ago, Jester said:

Hmmm, could I use a cardboard as checked luggage with no issue?

Absolutely! I’ve done it, and I’ve seen many people do it. An advantage is the weight you save compared to luggage. I’ve never brought back food (didn’t want to 😁). But have brought lots of food to Ph. Can goods, pasta, coffee, coffee cream, salami and even frozen steaks 

• Like 1

SkyMan

No Asian markets where you're from? 

CA might have a problem with it but nowhere else I know of.

Hope your neighbors don't have a problem with her cooking that.

• Like 1

Jester

Thanks I did a Google on cardboard box and it does not seem to be a problem.  It was suggested to put clothes in box instead of food to lessen chances of them wanting to open.

I am in the province, no National Book store and will be lucky to find an empty box!

Have Asian markets where I am but it is like Spam in the BB box, makes no sense but goes in anyway! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Salty Dog

I used 2 boxes when we moved to the US. I think the dimensions allowed are a total of around 62" (L + W + H). I found thick walled BB boxes in Cebu that were 20" squared (60"). Boxes make a good substitution for luggage because you can usually find a box near the maximum size allowed and because of the weight. A large piece of empty luggage can weigh as much as 15 lbs. A similar size box's weight is a fraction of that. So 2 boxes can give you an additional 20--25 lbs shipping capacity.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

SkyMan

We brought a box back from the states last trip. I usually find an old suitcase at goodwill or salvation army for $5 good enough to make it one way but didn't find any last trip so just taped up a box.

rfm010

Cardboard boxes are no problem for luggage.  UPS sells sturdy 20x20x20s, a bit pricey but it's what i use for bb box.  Something to consider for the trip back here.   One advantage is the box can be cut down to size if it gets too heavy before being filled.  One problem is the box wont come with wheels like luggage.   I see you may have trouble finding a local box-- how about something like a duffle bag? 

What about u.s. customs and the foodstuffs?   Will they allow such?   I'm pretty sure the dont like fruit coming through.

Hey admin types--what happened to the preview post option?

KID
10 hours ago, SkyMan said:

Hope your neighbors don't have a problem with her cooking that

lol----poor guy.i wonder if he would be able to get the smell out of his luggage after having that much dried fish in it for so many hours ?

• Like 1

Jester

Change of plans, wife decided to mail the dried fish,  she has done this before.  I have no idea what it costs and am not going to ask, it's her money!

Thanksfor all the input, it has been fun.

• Like 1

DeedleNuts

Lots of asian food markets in USA sell that horrific stuff. 

Ask me how I know ....

• Like 3

to_dave007

what's she gonna use it for?  fertilizer?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Jester
4 hours ago, DeedleNuts said:

Lots of asian food markets in USA sell that horrific stuff. 

Ask me how I know ....

It is likely plastic from China!

DeedleNuts
21 minutes ago, Jester said:

It is likely plastic from China!

Chinese plastic would smell better

• Like 1
  • Haha 1