lamoe

Ride sharing (Uber etc.) adds to traffic congestion

DeedleNuts
16 hours ago, SkyMan said:

Taking the bus is a great idea if one happens to be going near where you are and another happens to be going near where you're going and the 2 cross paths somewhere.

.... and if you like hanging out with sketchy looking people who smell like urine and talk to imaginary friends. This, coupled with being disarmed by the state is why *I* didn't ride the bus in CA. I used to ride jeepneys in PH FFS, and they are massively nicer. Clean the fecal matter off the streets and clean up the bus system and people might at least CONSIDER taking the bus. 

12 hours ago, Paddy said:

If Uber was truly "ride share", there would be some level of compatibility between the traveller's trip and the driver's trip.

Some modes of Uber split the fare and share part of the route. 

At least I think that's the case, someone should verify this. 

SkyMan
6 hours ago, DeedleNuts said:

. and if you like hanging out with sketchy looking people who smell like urine and talk to imaginary friends.

In San Francisco?  Surely you jest.  

• Haha 1

Paddy
7 hours ago, DeedleNuts said:

ome modes of Uber split the fare and share part of the route.

I believe that is true. However, I have never heard anyone of my acquaintance say they have done that (and many of them seem to like Uber etc). When/if it is done, I concede that the service is “ride share” .

I have had very limited personal experience (with Grab in Manila). The car was much more modern/clean but the fare was actually higher than a white taxi for the same trip.