Jump to content
AndyW

Acknowledgment of Divorce in the Philippines

Recommended Posts

Davaoeno
7 hours ago, SkyMan said:
10 hours ago, Davaoeno said:

However while you will also be considered divorced in the Philippines she will not. 

Not until the divorce is registered with the PSA because he wouldn't be able to get a CENOMAR.

I disagree.  He will certainly be considered as being divorced. However that of course is not the only hoop he will have to jump through if he wants to remarry in the Philippines- but that has nothing to do with my comment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SkyMan
4 minutes ago, Davaoeno said:

I disagree.  He will certainly be considered as being divorced. However that of course is not the only hoop he will have to jump through if he wants to remarry in the Philippines- but that has nothing to do with my comment.

I guess but that would be splitting hairs wouldn't it?

Most people would say that if you're divorced you can get married.

"Yes, sir, you're divorced, but you can't get married.

Why not?

Because you're not uhhhhhh, officially divorced."

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
to_dave007

Philippines is allowed to have it's own laws around recognition of a foreign divorce.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Davaoeno
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, SkyMan said:

I guess but that would be splitting hairs wouldn't it?

Most people would say that if you're divorced you can get married.

"Yes, sir, you're divorced, but you can't get married.

Why not?

Because you're not uhhhhhh, officially divorced."

Why not? Because the Philippines in some ways exists as though it were still in the dark ages- due to the iron grip of the catholic church which refuses to allow the separation of church and state. 

And accordingly the Philippines says " yes- you are divorced, but if you want to remarry IN THE PHILIPPINES we require registration.

But you already know that.

Edited by Davaoeno
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SkyMan
18 minutes ago, Davaoeno said:

due to the iron grip of the catholic church which refuses to allow the separation of church and state. 

Please show me how the church and state are not separated in the Philippines.

24 minutes ago, Davaoeno said:

And accordingly the Philippines says " yes- you are divorced, but if you want to remarry IN THE PHILIPPINES we require registration

And if you remarry in another country you are technically a bigamist when in the RP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jack Rat
10 hours ago, to_dave007 said:

Philippines is allowed to have it's own laws around recognition of a foreign divorce.

Seemingly!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AndyW

First of all thank you so much for all the kind responses. I've been part of this forum for quite some years and it never ceases to amaze me just how helpful everyone is. So again thanks everyone.

To answer one of the questions asked we were married in Cebu in a civil ceremony in a hotel as I'm not Catholic so no church wedding allowed.

I do want to help out my ex so I will go through the expat divorce process in the UK as she cannot and then follow the guidelines to secure my divorce being recognized via PSA Manila.

I see the current status of a divorce bill being put though the Phil government getting further than ever before but still held up before this summer session ends. Perhaps one day it will finally be brought into law in the country I love. Salamat everyone!

Cheers

Andy

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Headshot
On 5/12/2019 at 9:28 AM, SkyMan said:

Except the Philippines? You mean a church wedding, right? Should be able to do a non church wedding. 

The Philippines doesn't care if his former marriage was a church wedding or a civil wedding. If it was registered with the PSA, you have to follow the same rules as with any other wedding to get it annulled (or authenticated if you got a divorce elsewhere). Now, if you want to get a church wedding annulled, you not only have to get the government annulment (or divorce authentication), but you also have to get a church annulment, which is much harder than the government process.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cebuandrew
13 hours ago, SkyMan said:

lease show me how the church and state are not separated in the Philippines.

Come to Santa Fe, where it is legal for a gal to wear a 2-piece bikini on the beach, but it is not allowed in town. Why, cuz the church says so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SkyMan
6 minutes ago, Cebuandrew said:

Come to Santa Fe, where it is legal for a gal to wear a 2-piece bikini on the beach, but it is not allowed in town. Why, cuz the church says so.

Not the church, some crazed council woman, Cherry Pie or some other weird name.

15 minutes ago, Headshot said:

The Philippines doesn't care if his former marriage was a church wedding or a civil wedding. If it was registered with the PSA, you have to follow the same rules as with any other wedding to get it annulled (or authenticated if you got a divorce elsewhere). Now, if you want to get a church wedding annulled, you not only have to get the government annulment (or divorce authentication), but you also have to get a church annulment, which is much harder than the government process.

My comment was a misunderstanding of what Shadow, wrote.  Never mind.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Headshot
1 minute ago, SkyMan said:

My comment was a misunderstanding of what Shadow, wrote.  Never mind.

OK. Sorry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Commercial Banner Advertisers

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..