SkyMan

Electrical problem improved, but not quite fixed

SkyMan
2 minutes ago, GBT62 said:

yeah - but the horizontal not standard vertical pins ? All the circuits here run the same 30A breakers .... it's just so you think they are wiring something special - AC guy admitted he had no idea why.

I have some of both.  The electrons don't care.

2 minutes ago, Jawny said:

Or, do what a local expert said. Find a place in a nearby wall you can chip into a piece of rebar....attach a wire.....run to to the third wire of the plug....GROUND!!!

Earth ground, yes, although not a great way to do it.  Might run your Ebill up too.

Soupeod
3 hours ago, SkyMan said:

Might be a good idea to check to see if you have the same going on.

Our house has had electrical problems for a year or 2.  Kind of minor stuff but still known.  One indicator was the LED light over my desk would sometimes glow when it rains or is about to rain.  Another was the desktop computer crashing and rebooting, usually coincident with other electrical use such as the microwave turning on or the water pump.  I pretty much gave up trying to use it if the coffee maker or rice cooker were on.  I have a working UPS and the laptop isn't affected.  I've made some effort to track down the problem but don't have a lot of time for that and wasn't sure where to start.

Anyway, the ceiling fan in the bedroom stopped working a couple days ago.  No light, no fan.  It had done this a couple years back and one of the wires in the wall switch had come loose so I figured maybe the same thing.  When I got the switch out the wires were still connected but there was this dust bunny between the contacts.  I blew that out of there and the fan works.  Also, there's major improvement in the PC although it does reboot some.  I'm actually typing this with the coffee maker on.  So, now I'm going to go through all the other switches and outlets to see if there are any more electrical dust bunnies in the house.  No need to start any fires in the walls.  

Maybe some of you should look at doing the same?

i actually hired a Master Electrician +1 to redo the breaker box, breakers, all the wiring.  The wiring was done half-ass for at least a decade before I moved in.

SkyMan
23 minutes ago, Soupeod said:

i actually hired a Master Electrician +1 to redo the breaker box, breakers, all the wiring.  The wiring was done half-ass for at least a decade before I moved in.

But have you opened the outlets to check for dust or vermin?

Soupeod
2 hours ago, SkyMan said:

But have you opened the outlets to check for dust or vermin?

Yea got some new ones as well.

• Like 1

the.lone.gunman

IMG_1013.JPG.838f926871f62433a9c90f3ff2abf0f9.JPG

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

SkyMan
1 hour ago, the.lone.gunman said:

IMG_1013.JPG.838f926871f62433a9c90f3ff2abf0f9.JPG

So you can keep your coffee hot while you shower. 

hyaku

When I moved in to renovate and upgrade all the wiring was the same colour. The actual drop cablen was six pieces of wire twisted together to connect to the house. There was this Frankenstein type power cutout with giant fuses. I went deep into the ground to put in three earth straps and three pin outlets/sockets. Main one was the kitchen. Definite tingle off things like a microwave unless it's grounded. In the house the worst thing was PCs. Again a tingle and a buzz off any speakers unless you use three pin. Every day power surges from a crap system. What other country in the world uses 220v with no earth? I cant find one.

• Like 4

Goetz1965

I have Battery UPS for my expensive Electronics installed - saves me a lot of nerves

• Like 1

hyaku
On 5/12/2019 at 8:57 AM, Goetz1965 said:

I have Battery UPS for my expensive Electronics installed - saves me a lot of nerves

PC s Sould have power surge protection. But yes, I have 4 UPS and time delay boxes on everything else.