SkyMan

Electrical problem improved, but not quite fixed

SkyMan
Posted (edited)

Might be a good idea to check to see if you have the same going on.

Our house has had electrical problems for a year or 2.  Kind of minor stuff but still known.  One indicator was the LED light over my desk would sometimes glow when it rains or is about to rain.  Another was the desktop computer crashing and rebooting, usually coincident with other electrical use such as the microwave turning on or the water pump.  I pretty much gave up trying to use it if the coffee maker or rice cooker were on.  I have a working UPS and the laptop isn't affected.  I've made some effort to track down the problem but don't have a lot of time for that and wasn't sure where to start.

Anyway, the ceiling fan in the bedroom stopped working a couple days ago.  No light, no fan.  It had done this a couple years back and one of the wires in the wall switch had come loose so I figured maybe the same thing.  When I got the switch out the wires were still connected but there was this dust bunny between the contacts.  I blew that out of there and the fan works.  Also, there's major improvement in the PC although it does reboot some.  I'm actually typing this with the coffee maker on.  So, now I'm going to go through all the other switches and outlets to see if there are any more electrical dust bunnies in the house.  No need to start any fires in the walls.  

Maybe some of you should look at doing the same?

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Paddy

Your first problem would appear to be a wiring scheme for the house that fails to take in the required capacities of the different circuits (actually assuming it HAS different circuits!😄)

Secondly, yes, the bugs and critters and spiders like the boxes and conduits. 

Thirdly, if your area is anything like Masbate, there’s a good chance that your electrical setup is using incompatible components (switches and sockets designed for solid conductors connected by braided conductors etc)

I am still learning our actual installed system in the new house despite a) designing it myself, b) getting it drawn up by a professional electrical engineer here and c) using local power co accredited electricians to do the installation. As an example, circuit #1 appears to be directly connected to the drop wire. The circuit breaker does nothing (the main breaker does kill it - with everything else of course!)

• Like 1

SkyMan
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Paddy said:

(actually assuming it HAS different circuits!😄)

The house is 20 ft square so yes, just a main breaker.  New house will have multiple circuits.  Not sure how the dust got in there.  Perhaps placed by a critter.  Or the dust could be the long fried remains of something.

Edited by SkyMan

SkyMan

I actually just plugged in the Laser printer and printed a page, while the coffee pot is on.  Woohoo!!!

Paddy

Somewhere at the source of your single circuit should be a switch or a breaker. If so. It’s probably rated at no more than 20A. 

If the voltage is 220V, then you’ll not get more than 4.4kW out of it without something going sadly awry. 

I suspect your single circuit is constrained to something less than that. 

Your coffee pot, rice cooker, kettle all have heating elements. Assume at lease 1kW for each of those. If the pump is rated at 1HP it’s worth at least 750W with more for a short time at start up. If you have a fridge, that’s another 500 plus watts. Your PC and printer together will likely be > 1kW. 

It is no surprise that you have problems from time to time running multiple appliances. 

There is also the very real risk over overheating the wiring and having a fire. 

• Like 1

TimL
Posted (edited)

A glowing lamp when it rains or is about to rain doesn’t sound like a load issue. That sounds dangerous and more likely a conducting or a grounding issue. Of course we know that they don’t use ground wires here so.... I think that I would have my desktop computer on a UPS also. 

Even though the condo that I am in is pretty steady and has a backup generator, I still have my sensitive electronics on a UPS, ie. Tv, computer, laptop, phone/iPad chargers, Ndivia box, fiber modem to protect against surges and to cover the minute or two that it takes the guard to get the generator online. All of those things are simply too expensive to leave to the fate of the electricity here.

Edited by TimL

SkyMan
Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, Paddy said:

If so. It’s probably rated at no more than 20A.

30A.  In fact, there are 3.  One at the meter about 100 yards from the house.  One on the outside of the house.  That will come into play later when I go off-grid.  Power goes from there to the pump directly (so that's one separate ckt) and then inside the house to a third and to my caretaker's house to a 30A breaker there which also powers my bodega.  

53 minutes ago, Paddy said:

If the pump is rated at 1HP it’s worth at least 750W with more for a short time at start up.

My pump is a different animal.  The motor is 3HP but it doesn't work bang on/off digitally like the typical pump here.  The controller converts the single phase 220v to 3 phase.  When it senses a draw on the pressure, it turns on the pump, analog, just enough to maintain the pressure.  There's a small (4-5 gallon) pressure tank for a sudden draw.

Edited by SkyMan

Jawny

I had the misfortune of not being around when much of the "skills" work was done for our contractor built house.  By the time I detected any obvious flaws, we had already been in the house a long while (switches with wires loose, sink drains going UPHILL). 

As time went on, more and more circuits became unreliable and some of this was attributable to ants. 

This past year, a critical circuit with important uses, became intermittent enough I decided to simply install some new wiring using surface mount boxes and such. Also gave me a chance to increase the number of outlets etc 

The result was a reliable circuit. No big surprise ..........until our first utility bill after my improvements. The kWh usage dropped by a THIRD. 

SkyMan
5 minutes ago, TimL said:

A glowing lamp when it rains or is about to rain doesn’t sound like a load issue. That sounds dangerous and more likely a grounding issue. Of course we know that they don’t use ground wires here so....

Not really uncommon in houses here.  But could be dust bunnies and maybe not in the ckt switch the light is on.  I still don't know if that part of the problem is fixed yet.  Have to wait for the next rainy night I guess.

7 minutes ago, TimL said:

I think that I would have my desktop computer on a UPS also. 

Have one.  The PC, monitor, and internet are on that, just not the printer because that would overload it.

• Like 1

TimL
Just now, SkyMan said:

Not really uncommon in houses here.  But could be dust bunnies and maybe not in the ckt switch the light is on.  I still don't know if that part of the problem is fixed yet.  Have to wait for the next rainy night I guess.

Have one.  The PC, monitor, and internet are on that, just not the printer because that would overload it.

Same, I don’t have my printer on there either. I don’t even plug it in unless I am going to print something. 

• Like 1

SkyMan
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Jawny said:

The kWh usage dropped by a THIRD. 

Yeah, I'm kind of hoping in the back of head to see something along these lines too but I'll just forget about it until a full month bill comes.  I've done things before I thought would reduce the bill to little or no effect.  This month's bill is 0 though because BPI paid them twice.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Haha 1

GBT62
1 hour ago, SkyMan said:

The house is 20 ft square

5ft x 4ft dolls house ? :lol:

seriously though - this week I moved into new duplex in new Cebu Subd.  AC power points are those odd horizontal pin plugs with a ground.  I assumed as well as the higher AMP draw these points actually provided a ground for the AC units.

AC guy arrived yesterday to install AC units as per the Subdivision guidelines. I asked him to swap over the AC powerpoint for a more universal type so I can slip in my GoogleHome controlled adapter for remote control of one manual AC unit I have. He went to swap in the new powerpoint and showed me - the new AC powerpoints in the new duplex - 2 wires only - no earth/ground :thumbs_down: If they aren't going to earth things like AC units - why both with the special powerpoints.

So nothing you find in the walls here will surprise me now ....

SkyMan
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, GBT62 said:

If they aren't going to earth things like AC units - why both with the special powerpoints.

So you can plug in the things with a ground pin without having to cut the pin off or using some adapter bs.  The outlets I installed are all like that because we didn't have a proper ground to connect to when I built the house.  The next house will have real grounded plugs.

Edited by SkyMan

GBT62

yeah - but the horizontal not standard vertical pins ? All the circuits here run the same 30A breakers .... it's just so you think they are wiring something special - AC guy admitted he had no idea why.

Jawny
2 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

So you can plug in the things with a ground pin without having to cut the pin off or using some adapter bs.

Or, do what a local expert said. Find a place in a nearby wall you can chip into a piece of rebar....attach a wire.....run to to the third wire of the plug....GROUND!!!