Sign in to follow this  
JohnSurrey

Norwegian woman dies from rabies after Philippine puppy bite

Headshot
On 5/12/2019 at 8:56 AM, RangerUp said:

The puppy could have been bit and infected, but I was questioning that rabid puppies are "playful".

Rabid animals are infectious long before they start showing the symptoms of rabies ... so yes ... a rabid puppy could be playful.

HeyMike
On 5/11/2019 at 5:04 PM, RR3 said:

Standard procedure here is the three shots at rabies bite clinic whether the dog is anti-rab vaccinated or not. Now I heard they started charging a fee for the shots. Before it was free. This is no good. Ok, dog owner pays. In case of dog bite, dogs suddenly have no owner...

Also good here is that if infant has fever, they always do dengue check.

Yes, some years back my dog bit a boy and I paid for the 3 shots, as well as taking the boy to the clinic. I believe I gave him some money for pain and suffering.

It wasn't like my dog was loose, he was on my property, behind a fence, but there was just enough room for my dog to get his snout through the fence and nip the boy. 

I have to admit that a puppy strayed onto my property less than a year ago. She must have been about 3 weeks old and was matted with dirt. Usually my other dog kills any animal that wonders on my property; be it chicken, cats, lizards, etc.. But this little puppy held her ground barking back at my dog then trying to hide under a sign I have leaning against my house.

I took the puppy and cleaned her up and fed her. Of course I kept her and she is a beautiful dog today.

If I had read this thread before finding the puppy, I am quite sure I would not have kept the pup. It is good advice to be cautious with strays, even puppies. Rabies never crossed my mind, but I will think twice before I take in a stray again.

• Like 2

Headshot
1 hour ago, RangerUp said:

Who told you that, a Norwegian tourist?

Actually, I was told that by a doctor back in the 1960's when I was bitten by an animal. Luckily, I was able to catch the animal after it bit me, which turned out to NOT be rabid, so I didn't have to get a series of rabies shots in my stomach. Maybe medical opinion has changed since then.

smokey

I was scammed once my dogs always get shots but a house maid not mine claimed my dog scratched her i was home alone she came night with police i paid to her 26.000 for shots days later i find she dont work for neighbor

• Haha 1

Kreole
52 minutes ago, smokey said:

I was scammed once my dogs always get shots but a house maid not mine claimed my dog scratched her i was home alone she came night with police i paid to her 26.000 for shots days later i find she dont work for neighbor

You paid 26,000 p ($520 USD) for shots???  Or was that for pain and suffering of the poor maid who supposedly got scratched by your dog?  How much do rabies shots actually cost?  Do they still have to inject them into the stomach or have they found a more humane treatment for delivering the vaccine?

Kreole
1 hour ago, HeyMike said:

Yes, some years back my dog bit a boy and I paid for the 3 shots, as well as taking the boy to the clinic. I believe I gave him some money for pain and suffering.

It wasn't like my dog was loose, he was on my property, behind a fence, but there was just enough room for my dog to get his snout through the fence and nip the boy. 

I have to admit that a puppy strayed onto my property less than a year ago. She must have been about 3 weeks old and was matted with dirt. Usually my other dog kills any animal that wonders on my property; be it chicken, cats, lizards, etc.. But this little puppy held her ground barking back at my dog then trying to hide under a sign I have leaning against my house.

I took the puppy and cleaned her up and fed her. Of course I kept her and she is a beautiful dog today.

If I had read this thread before finding the puppy, I am quite sure I would not have kept the pup. It is good advice to be cautious with strays, even puppies. Rabies never crossed my mind, but I will think twice before I take in a stray again.

I think you did the right thing by adopting the puppy and not worrying about rabies.  What surprises me about the Norwegian case is that there did not seem to be any indication as to the disposition of the puppy, its age? condition?  It seems very unlikely that a playful puppy can deliver a fatal rabies bite without there being something clearly symptomatic in its behavior, condition, etc. as was indicated by  Ranger Up; https://www.cdc.gov/rabies/transmission/body.html

• Like 1

HeyMike
40 minutes ago, Kreole said:

I think you did the right thing by adopting the puppy and not worrying about rabies.  What surprises me about the Norwegian case is that there did not seem to be any indication as to the disposition of the puppy, its age? condition?  It seems very unlikely that a playful puppy can deliver a fatal rabies bite without there being something clearly symptomatic in its behavior, condition, etc. as was indicated by  Ranger Up; https://www.cdc.gov/rabies/transmission/body.html

It has been a while, but I do not think it was even 500p per shot that I paid for the boy who got bit by my dog. I believe he got the shots in his thigh. I know he did not get the shots in his stomach. I do not think they were actual rabies shots, but more like a preventative shot. But as I say...it was a long time ago. My memory is a little fuzzy. 

Davaoeno

My friends son got bitten in the face last week . The dog showed no signs of any problems . The boy just completed a series of shots this am . I believe it was 12 shots?? Cost was 1800 per shot .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

oztony
24 minutes ago, Davaoeno said:

My friends son got bitten in the face last week . The dog showed no signs of any problems . The boy just completed a series of shots this am . I believe it was 12 shots?? Cost was 1800 per shot .

Did the owner of the dog pay for this ? 

Davaoeno
5 minutes ago, oztony said:

Did the owner of the dog pay for this ? 

You are joking right??

This is the Philippines my friend 😁

• Like 1

HeyMike
1 hour ago, Davaoeno said:

!800 per shot, wow. I will have to ask my wife how much the shots were for the boy that my dog bit. I do know it was only 3 shots. Maybe the shots cost more then I remember.