Rossco

Heading to cebu after a few years away

Rossco

Heading to cebu only for a month or so with the family after being away for a few years.

There's been a lot of bad press about cebu the last year, and Australia are giving warnings.

Still safe to come and bring the fam?

• Like 1

oztony
8 minutes ago, Rossco said:

Still safe to come and bring the fam?

Safer than walking around the streets of Melbourne...

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Rossco

thats good to hear. The news would make you believe otherwise

RangerUp
6 hours ago, Rossco said:

Australia are giving warnings. 

About Cebu? Where?

BossHog
1 hour ago, RangerUp said:

About Cebu? Where?

Nothing specific about Cebu in the Aussie Smart Traveller advisory.

Most everyone should be safe in Cebu if they exercise the usual precautions.

If you think about all the anecdotal postings here, you'll realize that very few foreigners experience problems not of their own doing. Obviously nowhere is 100 percent safe but Cebu island is a very friendly place.

https://smartraveller.gov.au/Countries/asia/south-east/Pages/philippines.aspx

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

TimL

I’ve been in Cebu for almost a year and haven’t had any issues. Of course I don’t wonder around at night, don’t mess with drugs, don’t get wasted in bars, don’t talk trash to the locals, etc.  :lol:

Seriously though, apart from drug killings and fires around the city, I haven’t heard or seen anything that would give me serious pause.

• Like 2

RangerUp
1 hour ago, TimL said:

I haven’t heard or seen anything that would give me serious pause.

snatchers abound.

PlanB

I don’t have a citation but violent crime 2x worse then U.S and 30x worse then Singapore sounded like a fair guess to me when I read it. Lots of data points on google whatever the case.

jtmwatchbiz
On 5/10/2019 at 12:22 PM, RangerUp said:

snatchers abound.

no jail can hold me :biggrin_01:

• Like 1

Irenicus

It's safe. 

Just corpses here and there with the heads wrapped in plastic so the brains don't leak out.

SkyMan

Just don't play with the puppies. 

• Haha 1

Jester

Yes very safe.  Only got hit by pickpockets once on a jeepny.  Only one time did 2 guys try to rob my wife and I by Redemtorist church (big mistake on their part). That was about the same time that 2 guys tried to rob Paul at gun point (big mistake on their part)

Wife woke to guy going through her things on the second floor of her domitory, had climbed up wall and came in window.

Friends were robbed at gunpoint eating lunch at outdoor cafe on Ramos in broad daylight.

Every store, market and bar has armed guard.

I believe only 2 foreigners have been murdered here on Biliran in the last 2 years.

So I do not see how anyone could come to the conclusion that it is unsafe here,  just another paradise in the Pacific.

• Haha 2

jtmwatchbiz
23 hours ago, Jester said:

Only got hit by pickpockets once on a jeepny.  Only one time did 2 guys try to rob my wife and I by Redemtorist church (big mistake on their part). That was about the same time that 2 guys tried to rob Paul at gun point (big mistake on their part)

Wife woke to guy going through her things on the second floor of her domitory, had climbed up wall and came in window.

Friends were robbed at gunpoint eating lunch at outdoor cafe on Ramos in broad daylight.

i guess some people are just unlucky?  been here going on a decade and a half,  am all over this city nite and day and never had anything bad happen to us or our friends.

• Like 1

Jester
Posted (edited)

Were you friends with Paul?

Over the last 15 years I have spent about 2 months a year in the P's.  Never drunk in seedy bars at night or doing drug deals in dark alleys.

In the same amount of time and spending an average of 10 months a year in the US.  ZERO  instances.

Edited by Jester

RangerUp
1 hour ago, jtmwatchbiz said:

am all over this city nite and day

Why would a married guy like yourself be roaming around random streets in the middle of the night?

:glare: