TimL

Manila airport taxi driver arrested after scamming Austrian travel bloggers

TimL

A Manila airport taxi driver whose bare-faced attempt to scam two Austrian travel bloggers went viral online has been arrested.

The YouTubers, Mike & Nelly, have today (Wednesday, May 8) expressed their “deep appreciation” to airport authorities after they took action.

In their video — which has racked up 175,000 views since it was posted on Monday — the driver tried to force the couple to pay extra for their luggage. 

Being regular visitors to the Philippines, the ‘vloggers’ refused to pay up, stressing that they were aware that no such additional payment was necessary.

After filming an argument with the driver, now identified as Jhumil Bule, he stopped his cab in a deserted street and ordered the couple to get out. After they refused, he continued to drive, but took them on an obvious detour.

In the opening of the video [watch below] on their ‘Making it Happen Vlog’ channel, Mike says: “I’m a little bit shaky right now, I’ve just been attacked by a cab driver.”

Action against Manila airport taxi drivers

After catching wind of the driver’s behaviour, airport authority general manager Ed Monreal ordered the Intelligence and Investigation Department under Colonel Roque Alcantara to identify him.

After he was tracked down and hauled to the airport’s intelligence office, Mr Monreal personally appeared and gave him a tongue lashing before ordering him to surrender his licence.

He also ordered airport police authorities to ban the entire fleet of white DAVIS taxis from all Nino Aquino International Airport (NAIA) terminals.

“Beginning last Monday, May 6, we have removed the white taxi queuing lane in NAIA Terminal 1 as a prelude to eventually putting an end to the privilege given to them to line up and pick up passengers in the four terminals,” he said.

“This campaign against abusive taxi drivers also extends to the drivers of MIAA accredited transport services. No one is exempted here. We have no room for people who continue to destroy the reputation of NAIA and damage the image of our country before the world. Sadly, this people simply have no love for country.” 

Charges against the driver will be filed before the Pasay City prosecutor’s office.

Last year, the airport’s Customer Relations Center recorded 301 complaints against white taxis. So far this year, 56 have been received. 

However, it should be noted that not all Manila airport taxi drivers are bad eggs. In April last year, for example, we reported on one who voluntarily returned $3,000 in cash that was left in his cab.

https://philippineslifestyle.com/manila-airport-taxi-driver-arrested/

• Like 5

shadow
33 minutes ago, TimL said:

“Beginning last Monday, May 6, we have removed the white taxi queuing lane in NAIA Terminal 1

https://philippineslifestyle.com/manila-airport-taxi-driver-arrested/

Terrific, punish us all!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

oztony

image.thumb.png.aa9779c34607d1c292599e11319918ac.png

• Thanks 3

liquido

Nice to hear that this piece of crap "world class" taxi driver F----d with the wrong people that got him arrested and his company banned from the airport...The question is what happens when the smoke clears...

• Like 1

lamoe
32 minutes ago, liquido said:

Nice to hear that this piece of crap "world class" taxi driver F----d with the wrong people that got him arrested and his company banned from the airport...The question is what happens when the smoke clears...

Will be a period of self policing by other drivers - then back to normal

• Like 1

SkyMan

Good to see the taxi company also penalized.  Maybe other companies will do some self policing.

• Like 3

Davaoeno

What a bunch of whiners . You go to a 3rd world country you expect 3rd world scams to occur. Just look how much material they got out of this minor incident . They should be paying the driver for the real life experience!!

• Like 1

lamoe
22 minutes ago, Davaoeno said:

What a bunch of whiners . You go to a 3rd world country you expect 3rd world scams to occur. Just look how much material they got out of this minor incident . They should be paying the driver for the real life experience!!

Kind of true but rather than admit 'ya got me', he tried to pull the below' - so he deserves whatever happened.

After filming an argument with the driver, now identified as Jhumil Bule, he stopped his cab in a deserted street and ordered the couple to get out. After they refused, he continued to drive, but took them on an obvious detour.

• Like 1

liquido
10 hours ago, TimL said:

Being regular visitors to the Philippines, the ‘vloggers’ refused to pay up, stressing that they were aware that no such additional payment was necessary.

Like I said Im glad he F----d with the wrong people..If it would have been a family man with wife and kids you would have no choice but to pay the shite stain driver..

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

HongKongPhooey
11 hours ago, TimL said:

We have no room for people who continue to destroy the reputation of NAIA and damage the image of our country before the world. Sadly, this people simply have no love for country.” 

Funny guy. I think the taxi drivers outside the airport are the least of his problems with reputation. How about the airport infrastructure simply sucks and he’s in charge of it. Fake outrage and complete disregard for the other drivers now banned.  Also, who is going to replace the white taxis? I only take the yellow (travelling with wife and little boy) and last time it was a 45 min. wait with only 3 people in the queue ahead. Hard to imagine it with no white taxis.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

cookie47

And,, although I sometimes complain about my nephew's being on the Net 24/7,it shows that the internet "can" be a good tool"sometimes" to get a good result.

In 1985 I had a nasty incident at Mactan. 

Departing the terminal (Late night) on my own (wife already in Negros) . I got the Taxi sir,,, Taxi Sir. Fooleshly I walk to his vehicle as I was told book a taxi at a little booth just inside the doors.  Once moving I realized something wrong here. Departed from a different spot than the other "Taxis" We had already agreed on a price so...(which was not uncommon in 1985.. OK..lets go.. 

My wife had told me a ball park cost. 

We just got out of the main gate when he said, "Do I want a night with his cousin, (she'll do anything you want)🤔 Nah, I'm married....(I'm not making this up),, anyway for the rest of the trip he drove like an absolute loony, mumbling and cursing,, I thought the wheels were going to fall off. More suspension noises than a babys rattle. 

Got to Park plaza hotel, (Now Raja) added p1000 to the original price,(which was quite generous) , Nah,, started shouting,, wouldn't open trunk to get luggage, "but" Luckily the guard saw what was happening and walk down the steps and spooked him (the driver). In those days there wernt yellow Taxis, mostly white,

Fortunately things have improved.... 

• Like 1

musicman666
Posted (edited)

I always get a cebu yellow airport taxi cab but before entering I always say that I might look like a typical tourist but I am not ...so reset the meter to zero and no funny stuff because I know how much it’s going to be ....the driver always sighs and hits the reset button ...but they never proclaim their innocence...

oh ...I nearly forgot ...I also get them to remove the I’d card that dangles down from the rear view mirror conveniently obscuring the metered readout ...I’m the worst customer.

Edited by musicman666
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

TimL

Looks like they’re considering a permanent ban now.

The Manila International Airport Authority (MIAA) is seriously considering to permanently ban white taxis at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA).

This, following the capture of the taxi driver who has gone viral on social media for overcharging two foreign YouTube vloggers.

In a phone interview on Thursday (May 9), MIAA General Manager Ed Monreal said the move will prevent complaints against abusive drivers of white taxis at the airport from multiplying.

In 2018 alone, more than 300 complaints were filed against white taxis in NAIA.

In January to April this year, MIAA has recorded at least 56 complaints against abusive drivers at the airport.

This is why on Monday (May 6), MIAA started banning white taxis from entering Terminal 1, on a two-week trial basis.

“Pagka dumating ang panahon at naging successful itong ginagawa natin sa Terminal 1, pag-aaralan naman natin ang Terminal 2 kung pwedeng ituloy. Pagka maganda ang resulta at walang naging inconvenience sa mga pasahero, gagawin natin yun [When the time comes and what we’re doing in Terminal 1 succeeds, then we’ll see if we can do it also inTerminal 2. If the result is good and there had been no inconvenience to the passengers, then we will do it],” Monreal added.

The authorities now have been encouraging passengers to ride on accredited yellow taxis, airport buses, and transport network vehicle services at the airport.

MIAA added that they will gradually rid the airport off white taxis so that passengers will not be inconvenienced further.

https://ph.news.yahoo.com/miaa-mulls-over-permanent-banning-132804791.html

liquido
Posted (edited)

What no statement from the White Taxi company saying this issue is not how our company conducts business with our customers or this was a big misunderstanding? If that shite would have happened in Davao when Du30 was mayor they would have halled his ass to the mayors office were he would have been begging for mercy....

Edited by liquido
  • Like 1