RedRanger

DCF - No longer available at US Embassy

Jim_in_Jax

Sooooo, we will be filing an I-130 for a child we adopted while living here.  Can I guess that this change has just added a year or two of waiting for the petition processing?  We're still waiting for the two years custody requirement to even be able to file.  Looks like we're going to be here a lot longer than we thought we would.

shadow
1 hour ago, Jim_in_Jax said:

Sooooo, we will be filing an I-130 for a child we adopted while living here.  Can I guess that this change has just added a year or two of waiting for the petition processing?  We're still waiting for the two years custody requirement to even be able to file.  Looks like we're going to be here a lot longer than we thought we would.

Yup, now you must apply stateside. Current timeline is about 14 months. Nobody knows what the next year will bring.

shadow

Published June 6, 2019 8:08am 
Updated June 6, 2019 8:18am

The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has announced the permanent closure of its field office in Manila, a move that could slow down the processing of family visa applications, foreign adoptions and citizenship petitions.

According to the USCIS, its Manila office is no longer accepting new applications or petitions as the last day of accepting applications was on May 31, 2019.

Full closure is scheduled on July 5.

USCIS, which operates under the Department of Homeland Security, has 23 offices overseas, scattered across Latin America, Europe and Asia, according to the agency's website.

Reuters, citing internal e-mail, reported in March that USCIS is planning to significantly reduce its presence abroad in an effort to shift resources to domestic offices that took some career officials by surprise.

New instructions

Meanwhile, beginning June 3, USCIS said individuals who were previously assisted by its Manila office must follow the new filing instructions:

Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative: File your petition by mail with the USCIS lockbox facility in Chicago. You can find additional filing information on the Form I-130 web page. USCIS may authorize the Department of State to accept a petition filed with a U.S. Embassy or consulate in some limited circumstances (PDF, 61 KB).

Form I-360, Petition for Amerasian, Widow(er), or Special Immigrant (for Widow(er) petitions only): If you are a widow(er) of a US citizen, please see the Form I-360, Petition for Amerasian, Widow(er), or Special Immigrant page for the most current filing instructions. You may file your Form I-360 at the US Embassy or consulate that has jurisdiction over the area where you live.

Form I-131A, Application for Travel Document (Carrier Documentation): If you are a lawful permanent resident (LPR) who has lost your LPR card and/or re-entry permit and you need travel documentation to return to the US, you can file your Form I-131A with any U.S. embassy consular section or USCIS international field office.

Form I-407, Record of Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident Status:  Submit your Form I-407 to the nearest USCIS international field office. In rare circumstances, a US Embassy or US Consulate may allow you to submit a Form I-407 in person if you need immediate proof that you have abandoned your lawful permanent resident status.

Form I-730, Refugee/Asylee Relative Petition: You must file your petition with the Nebraska or Texas Service Center, depending on where the petitioner lives in the United States. For beneficiary interviews/processing, contact the US embassy consular section in the country where the beneficiary resides.

Form N-400, Application for Naturalization: If you are a member of the US military stationed overseas, please see the Form N-400, Application for Naturalization, page or call 800-375-5283 for the most current filing instructions. USCIS will forward the application to the appropriate international field office for processing. For qualified children of active-duty service members stationed abroad, the proper form to file is the N-600K, Application for Citizenship and Issuance of Certificate Under Section 322.

Filipino World War II Veterans Parole (FWVP) Program: You must file your petition with the USCIS lockbox facility in Chicago. If your petition is accepted, it will be forwarded to a USCIS service center for adjudication. If the service center conditionally approves your application, it will forward it to the Department of State’s (DOS) National Visa Center (NVC). The NVC will transfer your case to the USCIS office or U.S. embassy or consulate abroad where your beneficiary relative will be interviewed.

Meanwhile, the US Embassy in Manila will assume responsibility for certain limited services previously provided by USCIS to individuals residing in the Philippines. —Anna Felicia Bajo/KBK, GMA News

https://www.gmanetwork.com/news/news/nation/696808/us-to-close-manila-immigration-office-in-july/story/?utm_source=GMANews&utm_medium=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR34ctiBXs-OqCQm8LzPxgK7rlM4kHJk3pEjrm-XrQtTyiglB-YXwmc51ok

shadow

Ok, let's confuse the issue;

There will be no change in visa processing with consular services continuing, as usual, the United States embassy in Manila said yesterday, as it clarified that only an office attached to it will shut down, not the chancery itself.

This came following the buzz on social media regarding the closure of the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) Manila Field Office next month.

"The US Embassy in the Philippines will assume responsibility for certain limited services previously provided by the Manila Field Office to individuals residing in the Philippines," Trude Raizen, deputy press attache at the Embassy, said in a text message to the media.

On Thursday night, the US embassy confirmed that the USCIS will close its Manila office on July 5, 2019, "due to insufficient workload."

"There will be no change in visa processing at the U.S. embassy in the Philippines," it said.

The USCIS is the government agency that oversees lawful immigration to the US. Among its functions are adjudicating requests for immigration benefits, processing of applications to sponsor relatives and future spouses including refugee applications around the world.

Aside from Manila, the USCIS field office in Ciudad Juárez, Mexico was also closed on June 30.

According to the embassy, the USCIS has also entered into discussions to phase out all of its international offices.*PNA

http://visayandailystar.com/2019/June/08/topstory10.htm

• Confused 1

SkyMan
4 hours ago, shadow said:

Maybe they are saying business as usual but if you apply at the Embassy they will send it to Chicago for you?  It will be interesting to see how things go if that maybe gives some priority to USCIS processing if it comes from the Embassy rather than sending straight to Chicago on your own.   ???

SkyMan

So what's the current status on this?  Are you still able to apply through the embassy but then they send it on to Chicago for you or are you better off sending straight to Chicago?  And if you do that then how do they know you want to complete the process via the Embassy?

And have there been significant changes to the approval times?

On 5/8/2019 at 4:15 PM, Salty Dog said:

In plain English: 

USCIS may start denying any application that lacks a required document, forcing the applicant to re-apply and pay the entire government filing fee again....

When I was in getting my engineering degree in Colorado Springs, HP would occasionally announce hiring and request resumes to be mailed in.  Their first cut was to look at the envelope and any errors in spelling, formatting the addresses, or even if the stamp was skewed and it went in the trash without even being opened.

shadow
20 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

So what's the current status on this?  Are you still able to apply through the embassy but then they send it on to Chicago for you or are you better off sending straight to Chicago?  And if you do that then how do they know you want to complete the process via the Embassy?

And have there been significant changes to the approval times?

When I was in getting my engineering degree in Colorado Springs, HP would occasionally announce hiring and request resumes to be mailed in.  Their first cut was to look at the envelope and any errors in spelling, formatting the addresses, or even if the stamp was skewed and it went in the trash without even being opened.

You cannot file to the Embassy at all, they will not forward it for you, you must file to the stateside dropbox. You have to choose which Embassy you want. Stateside filings are still running about 14 months.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Headshot

Wow. Service has really improved...     :sarcasm:

• Like 1

user333
7 hours ago, SkyMan said:

So what's the current status on this?  Are you still able to apply through the embassy but then they send it on to Chicago for you or are you better off sending straight to Chicago? 

You have to snail mail it to the Chicago lockbox. They will then forward it to one of their five service centers. There are 3 stages for the spouse visa. It will take 6-8 months for approval on the first stage. About 2 months for the second stage with NVC and more fees and paperwork. The third stage is the medical exam and interview at the embassy in Manila. This takes about 1-2 months. 

shadow
24 minutes ago, user333 said:

You have to snail mail it to the Chicago lockbox. They will then forward it to one of their five service centers. There are 3 stages for the spouse visa. It will take 6-8 months for approval on the first stage. About 2 months for the second stage with NVC and more fees and paperwork. The third stage is the medical exam and interview at the embassy in Manila. This takes about 1-2 months. 

Correct on all except the NVC, NVC is taking 5-6 months now. They don't even always respond in the first two months.

Headshot
17 minutes ago, user333 said:

Just out of curiosity, do you work at the embassy or have something to do with this process?  I noticed that you give your location as Manila, but then you say you have only visited 1 to 5 times.

user333

I live in Manila now but don't work at the embassy. I am doing this process now. 

• Like 1

Headshot
15 minutes ago, user333 said:

I live in Manila now but don't work at the embassy. I am doing this process now. 

OK. Just curious.

throttleplate

update to my current  DCF process via Shadow, just recieved my packet for interview thank you larry and rony. Would not have been able to do this by myself,  I tried, gave up and hired larry. If you need help hire larry, dont ask me my brain is fried.

• Thanks 2