Jump to content
RedRanger

DCF - No longer available at US Embassy

Recommended Posts

RedRanger

What a shame, Those who want to complete Direct Consular Filing at the USEM will no longer have the option.

Looks like they are closing  most if not all international USCIS field offices around the world, and for sure closing the one in Manila in July, they are no longer accepting DCF applliations per recent reports.

https://news.abs-cbn.com/news/04/20/19/citizenship-applications-to-continue-despite-planned-uscis-manila-office-shutdown

 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
shadow

Yes, this was announced several months back, but with no projected date.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
shadow

It should also be noted that since this was announced several months ago, the Embassy has been taking much longer to process some basic approvals, and has flat turned away some petitioners who would have been allowed to file previously, forcing them to file stateside. 

If anyone is thinking about using the DCF method, I would suggest not to waste another minute. You can file now, even if you do not plan to travel for quite some time. Once the initial approval of the I-130 petition has been received, the case can then easily be delayed for up to three years or more. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SkyMan
1 hour ago, shadow said:

If anyone is thinking about using the DCF method, I would suggest not to waste another minute. You can file now, even if you do not plan to travel for quite some time. Once the initial approval of the I-130 petition has been received, the case can then easily be delayed for up to three years or more. 

I might fall into this category.  Is the I-130 the major benefit of the DCF process?  And is there much difficulty in delaying?  Maybe just not taking the next step?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
shadow
1 minute ago, SkyMan said:

I might fall into this category.  Is the I-130 the major benefit of the DCF process?  And is there much difficulty in delaying?  Maybe just not taking the next step?

The benefit of using DCF is it vastly simplifies the process. There is no 10-12 month wait for a USCIS service center to approve your petition, nor does now have to deal with the 3-5 month NVC process. It is all done at the Embassy, in what used to be just 6-8 weeks. The announcement of closure earlier this year seems to have upset the applecart, however, and since then we have seen numerous negative changes in USCIS actions at the Embassy. It would not surprise me for them to stop accepting applications altogether any day, as I think they do not want any cases pending when they get shut down altogether.

Once one gets the initial approval from USCIS, the rest is processed by Homeland Security (which is not effected by the shutdown), so there should be no issues completing the application.

Delaying is as simple as postponing taking the next step, each time you make progress on your case, you have a year to go on... They will give you plenty of notice if they are considering closing your case, and even if they do close it, it is usually as simple as writing a letter asking them to reopen it. We got one case reopened that had been closed for nearly 5 years.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SkyMan
7 minutes ago, shadow said:

The benefit of using DCF is it vastly simplifies the process. There is no 10-12 month wait for a USCIS service center to approve your petition, nor does now have to deal with the 3-5 month NVC process. It is all done at the Embassy, in what used to be just 6-8 weeks. The announcement of closure earlier this year seems to have upset the applecart, however, and since then we have seen numerous negative changes in USCIS actions at the Embassy. It would not surprise me for them to stop accepting applications altogether any day, as I think they do not want any cases pending when they get shut down altogether.

Once one gets the initial approval from USCIS, the rest is processed by Homeland Security (which is not effected by the shutdown), so there should be no issues completing the application.

Delaying is as simple as postponing taking the next step, each time you make progress on your case, you have a year to go on... They will give you plenty of notice if they are considering closing your case, and even if they do close it, it is usually as simple as writing a letter asking them to reopen it. We got one case reopened that had been closed for nearly 5 years.

Only problem is my wife's B-2.  It expires in March, and passport about the same time.  We might go back before it expires but will almost certainly want to renew it by next summer.  Would that throw a monkey wrench into things?  Would they say, why are you applying to renew your B-2 when you have an approved I-130?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
shadow
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

Only problem is my wife's B-2.  It expires in March, and passport about the same time.  We might go back before it expires but will almost certainly want to renew it by next summer.  Would that throw a monkey wrench into things?  Would they say, why are you applying to renew your B-2 when you have an approved I-130?  

It shouldn't, just tell them you are not ready to immigrate just yet.

Edited by shadow
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SkyMan
1 minute ago, shadow said:

It shouldn't, just tell them you are not ready to immigrate just yet.

Ok, and the I-130 wouldn't cancel the B-2, right?  I'm afraid they will think we're going to immigrate via the B-2 which I understand is the reason spouses have difficulty obtaining the B-2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
shadow
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

Ok, and the I-130 wouldn't cancel the B-2, right?  I'm afraid they will think we're going to immigrate via the B-2 which I understand is the reason spouses have difficulty obtaining the B-2.

No, it does not cancel the B2. Adjusting status after she arrives on a B2 is possible, some do. But it is much more complicated and expensive to do so. Then it becomes a concurrent filing. 

Edited by shadow
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SkyMan

Appointment or walk in to file?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
throttleplate

Larry maybe my dcf is likely caught up in this as its been 75 days and no respone yet for i-130 approval. Nothing i can do and inquirtes have been sent so i will just be patient as this may go 9 innings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
throttleplate

hey larry you wont believe this but i just opened my e-mail 3 minutes ago and recieved the approval letter hahahaha  karma. I will send it to you.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
shadow
1 hour ago, SkyMan said:

Appointment or walk in to file?

Supposedly they are still accepting walk ins. However, we had a client turned away last year and made to come back the next day to file, since then we always set an appointment.

They did announce last year it would be appointment only, but never enforced it except that one time, that I know of.

27 minutes ago, throttleplate said:

hey larry you wont believe this but i just opened my e-mail 3 minutes ago and recieved the approval letter hahahaha  karma. I will send it to you.

Last week Rony sent an inquiry to the visa unit, which got an inquiry to USCIS out of them, maybe that is what shook them loose, at last. 

Others have been reporting similar responses out of them this year, so it was not just you.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Headshot

They are penalizing the spouses of US citizens by doing this, which is actually penalizing the US citizens.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
shadow
1 hour ago, Headshot said:

They are penalizing the spouses of US citizens by doing this, which is actually penalizing the US citizens.

It sure as hell is going to penalize us. DCF filings make up about a third of our meager income here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Commercial Banner Advertisers

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..