cookie47

Visa query at Singapore Check in

Davaoeno
49 minutes ago, Headshot said:

I agree with you, but I won't be the one to tell BI what they should do in relation to the airlines. It would be wonderful to think that the Philippines could write a law that wasn't at least somewhat ambiguous, but I have read many of the laws here, and I have never read one that stated the requirements or penalties clearly. We have to face the fact that even though English is an official language in the Philippines, and even though all laws are written in English, English is still a second language, and most Filipinos (including lawmakers) do NOT have a mastery of the language. Since the education system in the Philippines has taken steps to further reduce the amount of English taught in the schools for lower grades (where languages are most easily learned), I don't expect this to improve in the future.

I'm sure the BI will be relieved to hear that you wont be the one to tell them !

Woolf
Posted (edited)

I think the agent at the check-in counter had a look up in the IATA timatic database, that database is used by all (or most) to check the visa requirements

no one can expect a check-in agent to know all the special regulation all the world around

the check-in agent may not be an employee of the airline for witch he/she is doing the check-in

what is written in that database is not always very clear, so the agent was in doubt and went to ask a manager or it could be a representative of the airline

there is a travelers interface to that database   https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/

you can put your data in, fake or real,  and see what it says for Philippines about visa requirements

Edited by Woolf

SkyMan
5 minutes ago, Woolf said:

there is a travelers version of that database   https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/

you can put your data in, fake or real  and see what it says for Philippines about visa requirements

DId so BB and it was correct.  Also noted this...

Spouses and children of nationals of the Philippines traveling together with the national of the Philippines, for a maximum stay of 1 year. Accepted proof: marriage certificate, birth certificate, adoption papers, etc. The family must be handled by the same immigration officer.

Woolf
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

DId so BB and it was correct.

did it state that no return or onward ticket required for BB ???????

Edited by Woolf

SkyMan
2 minutes ago, Woolf said:

did it state that no return or onward ticket required for BB ???????

That's what I meant by "it was correct."

Admission and Transit Restrictions:

Restriction

Visitors traveling as tourists or on business must hold return/onward tickets.

This does not apply to former nationals of the Philippines (Balikbayans) and accompanying spouses and children.

No mention of when the onward ticket has to be, btw.  It does not say within 30 days, for example.

Woolf
4 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

No mention of when the onward ticket has to be, btw.  It does not say within 30 days, for example.

The database info has been has been improved a lot since I started looking at it some 5-6 + years ago

now  since you checked it now  did it mention visa upon arrival ??

SkyMan
4 minutes ago, Woolf said:

The database info has been has been improved a lot since I started looking at it some 5-6 + years ago

now  since you checked it now  did it mention visa upon arrival ??

Visa Issuance:

Nationals of USA with a passport can obtain a visa on arrival for a maximum stay of 59 days. They can apply to extend their stay.

The following should be taken into account even if holding a Visa:

Multiple extensions of 59 days, (with a maximum of 1 year), available for those listed under visa exemptions. Extension of visas must be settled at Bureau of Immigration in Intramuros, Manila. Fee varies depending on reason and number of days requested for the extension.

Length of stay is calculated by starting on the next day after the day of arrival in the Philippines.

Note that this does not just apply to US Nationals but says so here because I put that in as my nationality.

Woolf
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

Multiple extensions of 59 days, (with a maximum of 1 year), available for those listed under visa exemptions. Extension of visas must be settled at Bureau of Immigration in Intramuros, Manila. Fee varies depending on reason and number of days requested for the extension.

that part is incorrect

15 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

Nationals of USA with a passport can obtain a visa on arrival for a maximum stay of 59 days. They can apply to extend their stay.

This part is also not correct, as it does not mention the 30 day visa waiver, also does not mention that there is a fee for visa upon arrival

anyway the information there now is an improvement to what was there before

I have followed that database since some years ago I was forced to buy  a refundable onward ticket, before I was allowed to board the plane

the check-in agent checked database and had to go check with the airline rep, I argued with the agent for about 15 minutes

still had to get a refundable onward ticket within 59 days   (why 59 days and not 30, I have no idea)

hard to keep arguing when your plane leaves in 3/4 hour 

Edited by Woolf
  • Like 1

SkyMan
27 minutes ago, Woolf said:

that part is incorrect

True but good enough for the ticket agent.

28 minutes ago, Woolf said:

This part is also not correct, as it does not mention the 30 day visa 

I think it does earlier when it mentions onward ticket requirements.

Woolf
Posted (edited)

@SkyMan

Yes the info has improved a lot, much much better than a few years ago

the info about the visa upon arrival I have not seen until a few months ago, when I checked 

Edited by Woolf
  • Like 1

cookie47
11 hours ago, trthebees said:

Agree with all this. And even if you do an online check-in, and then go to the boarding pass printing machines and scan your passport, I've found the machines won't print and tell you to go to the counter for visa verification. 

What I have found with 13A is that the counter staff seem to like the ACR card saying permanent.

Well this is where the confusion? started last year when using Air ASIA. 

We first went to the self check in Kiosk, completed our transaction, "including" printing of boarding passes and luggage tags, entered the drop off area, and was guided by a lady to use a certain belt. When all bags gone we returned passed same lady who said thank you. No request at allto go to a counter for passport "checking".

Since starting this post I have read on the Air Asia website that you "should" go to counter and have your passport checked. No problem with this at all, but on this particular occasion and oblivious to this requirement "and" not being guided by this only staff member we just walk off.Thus,, since reading the Air Asia website I thought (now incorrectly) no passport checks were carried out. They certainly don't make it clear by signage, and sorry to disagree with Headshot but our boarding passes were printed..