Sign in to follow this  
cookie47

Visa query at Singapore Check in

RogerDuMond
1 hour ago, cookie47 said:

SO, there would not be any fine to Singapore Airlines and I would still enter,(Assuming I complied with dress and demeaner provisions). You don't need a PRIOR issued visa to accualy ARRIVE in the Philippines. So WHAT was she on about, that's my point. Yes an onward ticket  I agree.. 

You are mistaken. It is the responsibility of the airline to make sure that you qualify for entry either by BB or immigrant visa, or that you have an onward ticket. Visa on arrival does not negate the law that requires the onward ticket. If the airline lets you on the plane without one of those qualifiers, they can be fined $25,000 (I think that is the figure).

• Like 1

enoonmai
3 hours ago, cookie47 said:

ELIGABLE

Uh, no it really is "eligible". No need for caps. 

3 hours ago, cookie47 said:

I made the original post to point out as it's common knowledge that Airline staff DO get it wrong.

As do you..and me...and everyone.

PlanB

The 13A is front loaded effort then pretty smooth sailing. I think if a person is going to complain so much about perceived issues with the system the 13A would be that much more of a clear choice. I know some people just feel more comfortable complaining then acting, but that is hard to assess on an individual basis. Not saying 13A is for everybody but based on the level of sniveling you can really, imo, see who should just get it over with and who can function well without it.

oztony

I wonder if we can all possibly choose our words a bit more carefully , there is no need for apathy to be conveyed here to the point that it becomes offensive. 

• Like 2

enoonmai
4 hours ago, enoonmai said:

Uh, no it really is "eligible". No need for caps. 

My apologies, I thought you were correcting the spelling but upon re-reading you were not. I tried to edit my post but apparently you can't or maybe there's a time limit for that.

Daddle

Given that airlines are tightening their rules, and that the busy agent may need to pass judgement on the immigration rules of a dozen destination countries, it is safest to buy a refundable onward ticket. A good way to do that is go directly to the website of a famously competent major airline. One way to some nearby place. Cancel it before boarding. The only downside is a few minutes of time and possibly a temporary charge on the CC. Much easier than arguing at check-in (or online).

I have had some trouble when the onward is more than 30 days in the future. Also, I once asked if they can verify the reservation and they said “No. Other airline information is not accessible.” So.....

SkyMan
10 hours ago, cookie47 said:

but why don't they make the application for a 13a a bit more user friendly after all we've committed to live here... 

Easiest way is to get it next time you're in Oz but if you keep traveling you're better off on the BB.

8 hours ago, cookie47 said:

and obtaining a driver's license

If you need a DL the best time to do it is now while you have a fresh BB in your passport.

cookie47
You are mistaken. It is the responsibility of the airline to make sure that you qualify for entry either by BB or immigrant visa, or that you have an onward ticket. Visa on arrival does not negate the law that requires the onward ticket. If the airline lets you on the plane without one of those qualifiers, they can be fined $25,000 (I think that is the figure).
Yeh, thanks Roger, I understand the requirements and have no issues with that (and have for years) It was an "on the day situation".Further Without being pedantic however I can't understand no questions are asked at Air Asia (our previous arrival last year) as their is no Human interaction with self check in.(scan, drop bag, go)...
Yet at another Airline counter because a human being is involved you get quizzed.

Anyway. Now I'm going back to the car post's, less trouble there..

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

RogerDuMond

If you travel outside the Philippines a lot, then BB might be the best option, but it doesn't allow you to work, even at your own business.

If you have no real desire to travel then an immigrant visa might be the best option. Over a multi year period, it is cheaper than BB or tourist visa and it does allow you to work.

• Thanks 1

cookie47
If you travel outside the Philippines a lot, then BB might be the best option, but it doesn't allow you to work, even at your own business.
If you have no real desire to travel then an immigrant visa might be the best option. Over a multi year period, it is cheaper than BB or tourist visa and it does allow you to work.
Thanks for that information.
Our background is not intending to work me being 71 and wife nearly 67....

Overseas holiday travel is low on the list due to budget, but a once a year Balakbayan is fine for us as we have relatives in Singapore that makes accommodation more affordable. (although we tend to go longer than we really need to haha)..and spend..

I will keep all your ideas in mind...

Thanks..

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

Salty Dog
48 minutes ago, cookie47 said:

Our background is not intending to work me being 71 and wife nearly 67....

Many of us would damn lucky if we were still around to see our wives turn 67 years old...:thumbsup:

• Like 1

Headshot
15 hours ago, Daddle said:

Given that airlines are tightening their rules, and that the busy agent may need to pass judgement on the immigration rules of a dozen destination countries, it is safest to buy a refundable onward ticket. A good way to do that is go directly to the website of a famously competent major airline. One way to some nearby place. Cancel it before boarding. The only downside is a few minutes of time and possibly a temporary charge on the CC. Much easier than arguing at check-in (or online).

I have had some trouble when the onward is more than 30 days in the future. Also, I once asked if they can verify the reservation and they said “No. Other airline information is not accessible.” So.....

Airlines aren't tightening up their rules. This has been a problem for as long as their have been Philippine visas other than tourist visas. Hell, I have had airline agents try to force an onward ticket on me, and I have a 13A visa. It is a problem with a lack of proper training for airline agents, not a problem with Philippine laws. If you have an agent try to pull this on you, your only recourse is to call in their management. It is a rare ticket counter manager who doesn't understand the laws well enough to straighten out the agent. That is true with both the balikbayan and the 13A visa.

That said, it is advisable that you carry a copy of your marriage license and the BI letter on the BB privilege if you are seeking a BB stamp. If you have a 13A visa, it usually only requires explaining what "permanent resident" means, but you may still have to call in a manager before the agent is swayed.

• Like 2

trthebees
1 hour ago, Headshot said:

Airlines aren't tightening up their rules. This has been a problem for as long as their have been Philippine visas other than tourist visas. Hell, I have had airline agents try to force an onward ticket on me, and I have a 13A visa. It is a problem with a lack of proper training for airline agents, not a problem with Philippine laws. If you have an agent try to pull this on you, your only recourse is to call in their management. It is a rare ticket counter manager who doesn't understand the laws well enough to straighten out the agent. That is true with both the balikbayan and the 13A visa.

That said, it is advisable that you carry a copy of your marriage license and the BI letter on the BB privilege if you are seeking a BB stamp. If you have a 13A visa, it usually only requires explaining what "permanent resident" means, but you may still have to call in a manager before the agent is swayed.

Agree with all this. And even if you do an online check-in, and then go to the boarding pass printing machines and scan your passport, I've found the machines won't print and tell you to go to the counter for visa verification. 

What I have found with 13A is that the counter staff seem to like the ACR card saying permanent.

• Like 1

SkyMan
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Headshot said:

It is a problem with a lack of proper training for airline agents, not a problem with Philippine laws.

Actually, I blame the BI for not spelling out to the rules the airlines, or the public for that matter.  How hard would it be for them to publish a Memorandum to the airlines spelling out the special cases where no onward ticket is required or at least have it easily found on their website?  I can understand a BB needing to prove their relationship to show they qualify but having to produce some letter that shows BBs don't need an onward ticket is beyond what the traveler should have to do.  Also, they've never really answered the question of whether the onward ticket needs to be within the 30 day free visa window leaving that to the determination of the ticket agent.

Edited by SkyMan

Headshot
2 hours ago, SkyMan said:

Actually, I blame the BI for not spelling out to the rules the airlines, or the public for that matter.  How hard would it be for them to publish a Memorandum to the airlines spelling out the special cases where no onward ticket is required or at least have it easily found on their website?  I can understand a BB needing to prove their relationship to show they qualify but having to produce some letter that shows BBs don't need an onward ticket is beyond what the traveler should have to do.  Also, they've never really answered the question of whether the onward ticket needs to be within the 30 day free visa window leaving that to the determination of the ticket agent.

I agree with you, but I won't be the one to tell BI what they should do in relation to the airlines. It would be wonderful to think that the Philippines could write a law that wasn't at least somewhat ambiguous, but I have read many of the laws here, and I have never read one that stated the requirements or penalties clearly. We have to face the fact that even though English is an official language in the Philippines, and even though all laws are written in English, English is still a second language, and most Filipinos (including lawmakers) do NOT have a mastery of the language. Since the education system in the Philippines has taken steps to further reduce the amount of English taught in the schools for lower grades (where languages are most easily learned), I don't expect this to improve in the future.