Sign in to follow this  
Jester

Suzuki Multicab - High Octane Fuel Needed?

shadow
36 minutes ago, cookie47 said:

Ahh OK, I'm really trying NOT to get a multicab, no disrespect to current owners but I'm trying to get something more normal size due to height and would you believe an arthritic hip.Plus no budget...

As far as your studies re fuel... I would ask the person that is telling you it requires premium fuel on what basis.
Does he have a mechanical background,,

Or can he quote a particular reason or technical manual or the like.

If you can scoot me the engine number with prefix I don't mind helping. It will keep me off the streets hahaha.
I have massive amounts of industry contacts in Australia BUT these vehicles are not marketed their. (unless it's a private import, but I've never seen one)..

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

I believe they were imported into Australia under the Mazda badge, that is where the "Scrum" name came from.

I've worked on hundreds of multicabs over the years, and have a pretty extensive history with them. I've never seen one that required premium fuel.

A few years ago I built this out of one;

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Soupeod
58 minutes ago, shadow said:

I believe they were imported into Australia under the Mazda badge, that is where the "Scrum" name came from.

I've worked on hundreds of multicabs over the years, and have a pretty extensive history with them. I've never seen one that required premium fuel.

A few years ago I built this out of one;

Very nice!

• Thanks 1

Jester
2 hours ago, cookie47 said:

Ahh OK, I'm really trying NOT to get a multicab, no disrespect to current owners but I'm trying to get something more normal size due to height and would you believe an arthritic hip.Plus no budget...

As far as your studies re fuel... I would ask the person that is telling you it requires premium fuel on what basis.
Does he have a mechanical background,,

Or can he quote a particular reason or technical manual or the like.

If you can scoot me the engine number with prefix I don't mind helping. It will keep me off the streets hahaha.
I have massive amounts of industry contacts in Australia BUT these vehicles are not marketed their. (unless it's a private import, but I've never seen one)..

Hmmm,  I posted engine # and it disappeared.  Will have to find again.

There is always one hare brained idiot that insists that premium gas must be used, despite voluminous study's to the contrary.  I think Myth busters did a program on it also.

• Like 2

cookie47

Now that's is nice, Just perfect for getting about the Australian bush Gold Detecting.

I'm REALLY struggling to remember seeing one in Australia. I think I would remember as I was a government vehicle roadworthy inspector both in Darwin And Melbourne for over 25 years and a standard one is so difficult to get into. Having no seat adjustment (I'm told?) would make it fail Australian roadworthy regulations as those regulations state that the seat needs to move/slide to accommodate differing size people.. Vehicle modifiers (the backyarders) often fall foul of the law with this regulation.

Of course this may have been fixed.

Also do they have a heater/demister, if not they would not comply with Australian ADR s...(Australian design rules). An operating demister with hot air is compulsory.....
I Think I know a Mazda that you may be referring too but somewhat slightly bigger.

Anyway you sound like an interesting person to chat too. Look forward sometime...

• Like 1

cookie47

@shadow.

Ahhhh.. I've just realized that we had the Suzuki Carry in Australia

A very similar looking vehicle mostly in VAN format. I could actually drive it due to adjustable seats..... It seemed?? about one size bigger.. Just.. (if that makes sense) than the Philippines Multicab (I'm guessing now) and had a 4 cylinder engine. Marketed as a main stream vehicle by Suzuki. It could have been on the same chassis platform but I could get in so easily,,, so I don't know.

Getting off topic I will stop until Jester gets back to me...

SkyMan
8 hours ago, cookie47 said:

A very similar looking vehicle mostly in VAN format. I could actually drive it due to adjustable seats..... It seemed?? about one size bigger.. Just.. (if that makes sense) than the Philippines Multicab (I'm guessing now) and had a 4 cylinder engine. Marketed as a main stream vehicle by Suzuki. It could have been on the same chassis platform but I could get in so easily,,, so I don't know.

The Carry is an earlier version, then there was a super carry or something and then the scrum.  The right seat is adjustable because it's the driver's seat in Japan and Oz.  Here the passenger seat adjusts, but not the driver's because of the conversion.

• Like 2

cookie47
The Carry is an earlier version, then there was a super carry or something and then the scrum.  The right seat is adjustable because it's the driver's seat in Japan and Oz.  Here the passenger seat adjusts, but not the driver's because of the conversion.
Yes it all makes sense now, thanks for the input.
I forgot about the LHD conversion.

Currently at Changi for a 10.00am flight back to Cebu. One month in Singers..

cookie47
Yes it all makes sense now, thanks for the input.
I forgot about the LHD conversion.

Currently at Changi for a 10.00am flight back to Cebu. One month in Singers..

Yeh, despite the fact that I have spent most of my life around vehicles , I'm still learning.(which I enjoy) Thanks to you guys in the Philippines...

• Like 1

Woolf

History of Suzuki carry

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_Carry

• Like 1

Jester

Papers say 2010, no way is this only 9 years old!

Serial #   dc51t452222

Motor #  f6a-6519542

Papers seem to show a 1000 something cc possibly,  3 cyl, non aircon.

I checked neither front seat is adjustable, doubt seat attachment is factory, looks cobbled together.

So no get up and go, not up to highway speed,  terrible ride, no aircon,  ok for a farm truck I guess.   Have no experience with these, maybe some are a higher quality?

shadow
1 hour ago, Jester said:

Serial #   dc51t452222

Motor #  f6a-6519542

Papers seem to show a 1000 something cc possibly,  3 cyl, non aircon.

I checked neither front seat is adjustable, doubt seat attachment is factory, looks cobbled together.

So no get up and go, not up to highway speed,  terrible ride, no aircon,  ok for a farm truck I guess.   Have no experience with these, maybe some are a higher quality?

The F6A is a 660 cc of 90s vintage. The DC5t was also from the mid 90s.

• Like 1

Jester
12 minutes ago, shadow said:

The F6A is a 660 cc of 90s vintage. The DC5t was also from the mid 90s.

• 660 cc,  slightly smaller than my Kawasaki lawnmower motor!

shadow
2 minutes ago, Jester said:
  • 660 cc,  slightly smaller than my Kawasaki lawnmower motor!

Yes, and slightly bigger than my weed wacker!

• Haha 1

Woolf
2 hours ago, shadow said:

2010 was first time it was  registered in Philippines

imported surplus from Japan

GBT62

Generally speaking - the little Kei car/truck engines of 660CC only need premium if they are the Hi-Po options (well relatively hipo compared to the base models).

Some models with hicomp twin cams or with turbo's (not even all of them - as the govt mandate of max HP of 64 HP means many are detuned or restricted in the ECU),

Multicabs aren't generally in the hi-po category - the roadsters and coupes are the usual premium guzzlers - my Copen with the D-Sport racing ECU and unrestricted mode needed it - but only once I swapped to the "open" ECU.

With such low weight - these little 660CC Kei motors can really buzzz along. No torque to speak of - but if you don't mind the buzzzzing and wringing the neck out of them and working the gearbox they are great fun and hard to destroy.

Of course here - they are parts "bitsa's" - and in Japan, regular car servicing is not that common - so be prepared to swap a motor :mellow:

• Like 1