Jester

Suzuki Multicab - High Octane Fuel Needed?

Soupeod

Thx Woolf!

SkyMan
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Woolf said:

United States: in the US octane rating is displayed in AKI. In most areas, the standard grades are 87,

So 91 RON should be fine for a carburated Multicab engine which is I think what regular is here.

I do put in premium maybe 1 in 20 tanks.  It's similar to putting in a bottle of octane booster/carb cleaner.  Also, if the truck hasn't been driven in a while I put in premium.  My motorcycle likes Blaze.

Edited by SkyMan

Jester

I have not rode a motorcycle this trip, but seem to remember them requiring the higher octaine rating?

Woolf
Posted (edited)

As long as the engine is not knocking or pinging, specially under load, there is no need to use higher octane fuel

Edited by Woolf
  • Like 2

SkyMan
30 minutes ago, Jester said:

I have not rode a motorcycle this trip, but seem to remember them requiring the higher octaine rating?

I don't think most require it but most are carburated. I like to keep my injectors as clean as possible.

• Like 1

cookie47

Firstly, It makes no difference if the engine is carburetor or fuel injection. 

The deciding factor of what fuel should be used on a petrol engine is the compression ratio and MAYBE altitude and humidity , but I'm getting a bit technical now. 

Unfortunately the vehicle is described as a Suzuki Multicab. I say unfortunately as there have been a number of engine variations used in this series of vehicle as far as I can tell. 

Eg, 6 valve, 12 valve, Turbo, and a twin cam version. The twin cam version having a compression ration if 10.5 to 1 would definitely need premium fuel. 

I'm not sure how many engine versions one would see or have been imported in the Philippines but i guess the 6 valve would be the most common?? . The only way to answer the OP question accurately is to obtain the  engine number and prefix will will throw light on an answer. 

It is common for a manufacturer to fit a sticker on the inside of the fuel flap (and manditory in some countries) but of course this vehicle may have a remote tube type filler half way down the body and probably no sticker. 

The fact the vehicle is described as a 2000 model makes me cautious as this year was right in the midst of the change over from Premium fuels (which was described in Australia as SUPER 98 Ron),and unleaded which was/is generally 91/92.

As an example of confusion,,, There were two 1987 but different month Toyota Corollas in Australia. Identical body's and engine,, except one had a higher compression ratio and required premium fuel, the other didn't. 

Finally I don't want to be branded as a smart arse or know it all,, but this question is my trade for nearly 50 years,,, BUT in my time in the Philippines I've not had a lot to do with local vehicles (apart from building a pump boat with a Mitsubishi 4dr), in fact I don't even own a vehicle at this point. Woolf made a good point that if pinkin or knocking can be heard (under load) a change of fuel could be considered (a valid point)'.... assuming the ignition timing is correct) 

But I've had customers cars that have been pinking there heads off, when noted to the customer they said "what noise". 

SO... exact year/engine prefix/series and number is helpful (which may be a pain to Jester but sometimes it's on some paperwork) .. to be ABLE to"Help" answer the question Accurately.

I know, I know. another War and Peace answer but this is the only way I do things.. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

throttleplate

pinging can be caused by carbon build up in the cylinder combustion chamber. Preignition leads to detonation, meaning a piece of red hot glowing carbon inside the combust chamber will ignite the fuel before the spark plug ignites it.

What happens next is the fuel ignited by the hot carbon meets up with the fuel ignited by the spark plug, you now have 2 flame fronts striking each other and this is called detonation or also known as pinging the rattling sound coming from your engine.

Detonation can lead to holes in your piston. Make sure the timing is set, proper fuel and of course the proper spark plug as some plugs are designed to run hotter some colder.

If you are unable to get the timing set, for example the timing marks will not come close to lining up it may be that someone rebuilt or took apart the engine and when they put it back together they didnt align the crank and cam timing gear marks and now it is and will no matter what you do it will be so advanced it will ping or keep running for a few seconds when you turn off the key. Believe me this happened to me when i had my head replaced on a datsun back in the usa years ago the mechanic did this and i had to bring it back and they corrected it.

Also if needed you may need to remove the head and scrape the carbon out of it. Using combustion chamber cleaner when i was a mechanic myself never worked for me, dealerships like to sell it and charge you tons of money to decarbon your engine by dumping this stuff into the carb with engine running. I never heard of it working as advertised. It usually came down to bad gas sold by dealers whom dumped water and other stuff into their tanks to rip people off. This was a major problem back in las vegas in the 1990s.

• Like 3

Woolf

@throttleplate

from the OP

I have been driving this and putting in regular octaine fuel and have not noticed any pinging or knocking.

So pinging and knocking is not the problem

• Like 1

SkyMan
6 hours ago, cookie47 said:

i guess the 6 valve would be the most common??

Most of the older round eye (round headlights) I believe are 6 valve while the newer catseyes are 12 valve, however, the ways these things are put together pieces/parts, who knows what it was actually built with or what went into it.  

6 hours ago, cookie47 said:

The fact the vehicle is described as a 2000 model makes me cautious

Remember that model year on the rego is the year it was first registered in the PI and most likely has nothing to do with the year of manufacture in Japan.

• Like 2

cookie47
Remember that model year on the rego is the year it was first registered in the PI and most likely has nothing to do with the year of manufacture in Japan.
Yeh I'm with you and agree. The whole issue is "A dogs Breakfast".. as we say in Australia.haha.

I'm somewhat hobbled having not really had any hands on experience with multicabs and the like.. I'm only using my background to try and help. There's got to be someone on the forum that can answer the question easily.. Also. Being 6ft 2 I can't even get behind the wheel of my nephews. I think someone welded the seat to the floor.

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

SkyMan
3 minutes ago, cookie47 said:

I'm somewhat hobbled having not really had any hands on experience with multicabs and the like.. I'm only using my background to try and help. There's got to be someone on the forum that can answer the question easily.. Also. Being 6ft 2 I can't even get behind the wheel of my nephews. I think someone welded the seat to the floor.

I'm 6'1" and can get in a regular Mcab pickup.  I had to learn to go in right knee first to get it around the column and always duck.  Once in a while I forget to duck and get a nice lump on my head as a reminder.  There is some headroom after inside though.  One of the first mods I did was to replace the stock seating with buckets that can slide back a bit so my knee wasn't always pressed to the dash.  Also, I had the wipers converted to swing left.  A really simple mod which I think cost maybe p700?  The original left wiper is in the center so they just move the right wiper to the left and reverse the motor polarity.  Fill the hole on the right and done.  With the wipers in the original way, the only part of the window not covered was the part I needed.

The vans sit a bit higher and maybe farther back but the left seat doesn't move.  I only drove one once and I didn't like it because of the way the seat sits, I couldn't set my heel on the floor to operate the throttle and had to lift my knee from the hip.

• Like 1

Jester
6 minutes ago, cookie47 said:

Yeh I'm with you and agree. The whole issue is "A dogs Breakfast".. as we say in Australia.haha.

I am 5'9" and can get in the multi cab.  But the seats are fixed, makes it a very uncomfortable angle for my foot on the accelerator.  Arthritic hip does not like the clutch.  15k into town and back is the most I can stand in the thing.

When in Naval I grab the first parking spot I find and walk or trike around.

Got some info off the net using the #'s but does not specify regular or premium.

• Like 1

cookie47
I am 5'9" and can get in the multi cab.  But the seats are fixed, makes it a very uncomfortable angle for my foot on the accelerator.  Arthritic hip does not like the clutch.  15k into town and back is the most I can stand in the thing.
When in Naval I grab the first parking spot I find and walk or trike around.
Got some info off the net using the #'s but does not specify regular or premium.
Ahh OK, I'm really trying NOT to get a multicab, no disrespect to current owners but I'm trying to get something more normal size due to height and would you believe an arthritic hip.Plus no budget...

As far as your studies re fuel... I would ask the person that is telling you it requires premium fuel on what basis.
Does he have a mechanical background,,

Or can he quote a particular reason or technical manual or the like.

If you can scoot me the engine number with prefix I don't mind helping. It will keep me off the streets hahaha.
I have massive amounts of industry contacts in Australia BUT these vehicles are not marketed their. (unless it's a private import, but I've never seen one)..

SkyMan
27 minutes ago, cookie47 said:

I have massive amounts of industry contacts in Australia BUT these vehicles are not marketed their. (unless it's a private import, but I've never seen one)..

You might be surprised.  Last time in the US I ran into a place that had a couple they were using as farm trucks.  Still RHD so not legal on the road.  I search Ebay.au for Suzuki scrum and didn't see any trucks but there were some parts.  Not hard to ship from Japan and already RHD.