Jester

Suzuki Multicab - High Octane Fuel Needed?

Jester

Family has an older Suzuki multicab,  no idea of actual year but I would guess 15 years old.  It is a standard shift. No manual, papers or anything with it.

I have been driving this and putting in regular octaine fuel and have not noticed any pinging or knocking.

Now I am informed that it takes premium gas!   It is a little tiny motor and no way it takes premium, in the real world anyhow this is the PI's

Perhaps it is some special high pressure engine that runs counterclockwise and will explode if lower octaine fuel is used.

So before Mr Always Rights starts flapping his gums is there any reason this would take premium gas?

SkyMan

Never a problem with regular for me.  Pulling your chain maybe?

Jester
1 minute ago, SkyMan said:

Never a problem with regular for me.  Pulling your chain maybe?

That was quick!  There is always an Uncle Joe in this case Juan around that drove a car once and insists that premium gas will make the car run better, go faster, last longer and attract more chicks.

SkyMan

I had a Ford Probe with a Mazda engine that recommended Premium and if I ran on regular I would notice a bit of hesitation on acceleration.  If you notice that, well, it is a multicab after all.  Hahahaha  Maybe the higher octane is supposed to make up for the missing cylinder?

Jester
6 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

I had a Ford Probe with a Mazda engine that recommended Premium and if I ran on regular I would notice a bit of hesitation on acceleration.  If you notice that, well, it is a multicab after all.  Hahahaha  Maybe the higher octane is supposed to make up for the missing cylinder?

They are 3 cylinder?

SkyMan

Most are 660cc 3 cyl.

Jester
2 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

Most are 660cc 3 cyl.

My mower at home has better pickup and a higher top speed:thats-funny:

SkyMan
2 minutes ago, Jester said:

My mower at home has better pickup and a higher top speed:thats-funny:

They go pretty good though.  I used to have to haul 5 drums of water up the hill to my house every week.

smokey
28 minutes ago, Jester said:

That was quick!  There is always an Uncle Joe in this case Juan around that drove a car once and insists that premium gas will make the car run better, go faster, last longer and attract more chicks.

Some cars run better with premium 

• Like 1

Jester
9 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

They go pretty good though.  I used to have to haul 5 drums of water up the hill to my house every week.

They should have a mower deck available.

Actually the family move monsterous amounts of rice around with theres,  shocking it can move.

lamoe
21 minutes ago, Jester said:

They should have a mower deck available.

Actually the family move monsterous amounts of rice around with theres,  shocking it can move.

Bit of info on gas

Over at Landers it's 1P difference between regular and premium - I always get the premium - also 4P lower with their card and 7 to 9 lower per L if you have a recipient for P3000 - they give you a coupon at checkout

Around P47 / L last time I believe

Jester
Posted (edited)

I have been driving for 50+ years, I have traveled millions of miles and used a small lake of gasoline.  Only had one high performance car that used premium, the rest was all done on regular.

Taking into account cost of living, inflation, interest fluctuations over the decades,  How much more do I have in my retirement account, by not wasting money on a product that endless scientific studies have shown is of no value? 

Edited by Jester
  • Like 1

Soupeod

What is the octane of reg and premium here in the Phils?

SkyMan

I don't remember typical octane numbers here off hand but they use a different form of octane calculation here than in the US.  Not sure which other countries use.  But it works out to basically the same between the Phils and US anyway.  

• Like 1

Woolf

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

Philippines: A brand of Petron, Petron Blaze is rated at 100 RON (the only brand of gasoline in the Philippines without an ethanol blend). Other "super premium" brands like Petron XCS, Caltex Gold, Shell V-Power are rated at 95-97 RON, while Petron Xtra Unleaded, Caltex Silver, and Shell Super Unleaded are rated at 93 RON.

USA use AKI rating,  so  can not be directly compared

United States: in the US octane rating is displayed in AKI. In most areas, the standard grades are 87, 89-90 and 91-94 AKI. In the Rocky Mountain (high elevation) states, 85 AKI (90 RON) is the minimum octane, and 91 AKI (95 RON) is the maximum octane available in fuel.[51] The reason for this is that in higher-elevation areas, a typical naturally aspirated engine draws in less air mass per cycle because of the reduced density of the atmosphere. This directly translates to less fuel and reduced absolute compression in the cylinder, therefore deterring knock. It is safe to fill a carbureted car that normally takes 87 AKI fuel at sea level with 85 AKI fuel in the mountains, but at sea level the fuel may cause damage to the engine. However, since virtually all cars produced since the 1990s have fuel injection, 85 AKI fuel is not recommended for modern automobiles and may cause damage to the engine and decreased performance.[52] Another disadvantage to this strategy is that most turbocharged vehicles are unable to produce full power, even when using the "premium" 91 AKI fuel. In some east coast states, up to 94 AKI (98 RON) is available.[53]As of January, 2011, over 40 states and a total of over 2500 stations offer ethanol-based E-85 fuel with 94-96 AKI.[54] Often, filling stations near US racing tracks will offer higher octane levels such as 100 AKI .[citation needed]

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1